Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hd500 - Bug In Noise Gate

johned

I only want to use mono mode so I read a lot that the best thing to do is use Input 1 = Guitar and Input 2 = Variax.

I have placed my amp on path A, before the mixer.

If put a noise gate in the chain then I find that the signal level is higher when the NG is enabled and lower when disabled.

Cheers,

John

It depends on where the noise gate is in your signal, but you still have a stereo signal.  The noisegate is summing the stereo signal and causing the signal to be louder when it's engaged.  This is my best guess since you didn't provide the full signal.

I would not worry about setting input 2 to Variax.  I run mono and I set input 2 to "same".  But do what sounds right.

Thanks very much for all the feedback. The NG is right at the start of the chain.

I didn't want this to descend into a whole debate about

how to configure the inputs - hollis1003 : I too would like to use your configuration (so I can swap amps without that glitch when I swap patches) but there are some very good reasons here (http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/quickGuide#quirks) why you should not.

where to locate the amps (splitter / path a / path b)

put connectors in the correct output socket to change the stereo/mono configuration. (how crazy is that) !

At the end of the day, if I put a real NG in front of a real amp, it doesn't do this so why should it do it when I am using my POD ?

I guess this is just one of the many quirks that we have to put up with when using Line-6 gear ;-)

Cheers,

John

Thanks Gear Head,

> this is the price you pay to use advanced technology: less money but sometimes more thinking and reasonings

Sorry, I have to completely disagree. Androids and iPhones are way more complex and advanced than this and they don't even come with a manual.

I have used several other products similar to the HD500. They are way easier to use and you won't find any deep discussions on the internet discussing the quirks of the device. Unfortunately the amp emulations are not up to the same standard :-(

Cheers,

John