Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax standard sunburst: Black or White -pickups and pick guard?

ColonelForbin

Seeing two different looks for the new variax standard sunburst.. they both look sharp! I like the design change to put the variax controls all in one place, similar to the JTV59.

- Black pickguard with white pickups:

http://line6.com/variax-standard/

- White pickguard with black pickups:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VariaxStdBurst

The majority of the photos I have seen match the second photo, including the Line6 web page. Come to think, I believe the only place I've seen the first photo (white pickguard, black pickups) is on the Sweetwater website!

The sunburst black pickguard with white pickups seems the most likely, since the designs for the white and black models use white pickups..

Hoping that Feb.13 date is accurate!

It does look a bit more 'classic' strat compared to the JTV69. The headstock graphics, the cut of the pickguard, and the grouping of the tone, volume knobs with the variax models and tuning knobs - never liked the JTV69 layout with the controls separated like that.

I am pretty boring with my finish choices on guitars.. sunburst everything! Tobacco sunburst JTV59, 3 tone sunburst USA strat HSS. Except for my bass, which is some fake mahogany finish that wore half off where my picking hand rested.

I emailed Sweetwater, no response on their end, and the same pic remains. Might make for some interesting explanations on their end, since they claim to have already taken pre-orders! Musicians Friend still just shows 'expected to ship 2/13'; Zzounds hasn't even added them to their website yet.

For what it's worth, Musicians Friend shows the Firehawk shipping in March 2nd.. Is there some way we musicians can take over Valentines' Day, and rebrand the whole thing? Who needs candy, hearts and flowers for romance - it's all about the MUSIC of LOVE! or at least the Love of Music :)

• 3 weeks later...

Sweetwater never responded to my questions about the pickguard color; and it seems they are also still confused about the lead time!

Lol, here's for wishful thinking:

We Can Get It Fast!

We can get more of this item from our friends at Line 6 in a few days. 

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VariaxStdBurst

• 1 month later...

Yes-I emailed my sweetwater sound engineer Jeff Law about that last week, and he emailed back to me that they checked with Line 6 and found out their picture was of an older planned model that had since been updated. 

Nice! Yeah, I had been pestering my Sweetwater sales guy, but I never heard back from him, lol... I think now the bigger issue is the ever extending lead times!! I hate to imagine all those guitars cooking in the west coast spring, sitting on a non-climate controlled cargo boat, queued up in line, stuck because the west coast port strike mess..

The strike is over, but the backlog of work is extensive, and the damage is done....

"The labor dispute that wreaked havoc on West Coast ports and on shippers for months was tentatively settled on February 20. By then, it was too late.

Cargo had been delayed for weeks. Perishable goods with sell-by dates were stuck in refrigerated containers somewhere. Companies around the country spent endless working hours to keep the supply chain from collapsing. Cargo was shipped by air at a big additional cost. Demurrage charges and other costs piled up. Manufacturers, like Honda, ran out of parts and had to cut production…. It was a fiasco shippers won’t forget."

I work for an importer here on the east coast & let me tell you-that back-log-jam on the west coast also affected the east coast as many companies diverted shipments to the east coast (logistics would make sense for any business located east of Chicago)  Well, the east coast could not keep up with the additional ship traffic and we are still jammed up today as trucks line up in lines running up to 6 miles long each day to pick up containers.  LCL shipments even takes longer as the container needs the extra steps of unloading, sorting, warehousing, and reloading on trucks for final delivery.  I think that is why Obama invited both sides to "negotiate" at the White House-if the slowdown lasted any longer it eventually could have affected the food supply, and caused massive inflation.  I know that both sides would have lost the negotiation if Obama was arbitrator. 

• Upvote 1

I was actually praising Obama-if it wasn't for him, the west coast, and east coast problems would be much worse than they already are.  Maybe a slam would be he should have done something a little sooner, and nipped the port problem in the bud...

• 1 month later...

Yes, I think it would be cool if it was available with a white pick-guard, I think the black one makes the sunburst too dark for my taste.

Line 6/Yamaha are making the white ones for the white guitar anyway, so I guess this could be made available for the sunburst.

I also wonder if it they'll do a maple fingerboard as an option eventually? They do them for the Pacifica. I prefer maple myself, and I also think it lightens up the sunburst finish further, together with the white pick-guard. See the picture of the Pacifica like this:

pac112m-ovs-2_zps9e05562e.jpg

That looks really cool to me

John

• 1 month later...