Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD X pro instead of HD500

ASAJIRO

tonewise very nearly identical other than the for mentioned DSP bump.

I have both, and i'm able to use them both to equal benefit.... 

i don't like to bury my tone under a world of effects though... so the DSP is only a minor concern for me. (cause i do like that DSP hungry 63 spring verb)

For me, it boils down to: 

What are you looking for? 

If I had wanted to add a unit to my already large rig, I would have gotten the rack unit. 

OK, let me rephrase that so I can be totally honest. If I wanted to add to my rig, I wouldn't have gotten either of these. But in order to answer the question, hypothetically, I would have gotten the rack. So that I could keep it all organized in a neat little box. 

However, what I was looking for was not to ADD to a rig, but to REPLACE a rig. 

I carry my guitars, my HD500, and a utility bag (strings/tools/cords/etc). No racks. No amps. 

Life - simplified. 

So, really, what is your usage going to be? 

Are you doing like I do. Which is putting your entire setup on the floor at the front of the stage near the microphone - which is where my old controller used to go. 

Or are you putting a 12 space rack in the back of the stage so that it doesn't block a fan's view, but still needing to drag a pedalboard across the stage near the mic to be able to control it. . 

I did exactly that. Sold my HD 500 and bought an HD X Pro.

This is purely subjective and I have no data to back it up but I swear the Pro sounds better. Maybe I just want it to.

I'm much more of a desktop user so having the box in a rack in front of me is more convenient and the extra ins and outs are handy. I'm much happier with the Pro / Floorboard combo than I was with the HD 500.

Just my .02

Greg

I did exactly that. Sold my HD 500 and bought an HD X Pro.

This is purely subjective and I have no data to back it up but I swear the Pro sounds better. Maybe I just want it to.

I'm much more of a desktop user so having the box in a rack in front of me is more convenient and the extra ins and outs are handy. I'm much happier with the Pro / Floorboard combo than I was with the HD 500.

Just my .02

Greg

If you've seen the program brain games, the last episode had two cakes, a $15 one and a $55 one. Random people on the street tried samples of each and all said the more expensive one tasted better. But the thing is, both cakes were identical. :lol:

The pro with separate controller would be nice, and better for me too, but I just can't see it as being ($200 + controller) better.

If you've seen the program brain games, the last episode had two cakes, a $15 one and a $55 one. Random people on the street tried samples of each and all said the more expensive one tasted better. But the thing is, both cakes were identical. :lol:

The pro with separate controller would be nice, and better for me too, but I just can't see it as being ($200 + controller) better.

I understand your reasoning but I don't think it's 100% accurate in this case. The 'X' versions do have more dsp power and I tend to use a lot of effects now and then. I do use the extra ins and outs so that's worth something to me. Also, the controller offers a few other benes. I can use it with other L6 devices I have - and use it as a midi controller for software. Works extremely well for things like Amplitube and Guitar Rig in that regard. Also, I don't need a lot of channel switching and turning effects on and off so I use the little controller. It's significantly smaller footprint works better in my space. Does that justify the extra money? I guess that depends on you needs and your pocketbook. It's worked out nicely for me.

Greg

I completely agree with the greater tone possibilities of the x versions over the non x (i have both a 500 and 500x). There are things you can do with 500x that just aren't possible with the 500, mostly dual amps/cabs. But, if you take a patch built on a 500 and loaded it on an pro x, both should sound identical. But they might not because one device is more expensive than the other and can color the purchaser's opinion. Then again, it's all subjective in the first place anyway.

The non-pro version can also act as a midi controller, can't it? It does take up more floor space though, especially two of them.

Always good to have more choice. Makes more people happy.

True. There is a difference between X and non-X. That part should be self explanatory, and if its not then you can find countless webpages (with audio and video) showing the differences. 

But, other than the generational differences, it really boils down to your usage. 

Rack unit or floor unit. We can't answer that for you.