Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Spider Iv Master Volume Knob Problem

Not sure what you are saying? 

Your total volume is based on a combination of the Channel Volume (which is part of any preset you are using) and the Master Volume.

If the Channel Volume is set very high, then at a certain point the Master Volume no longer increases the volume when you turn it up - you have reached the maximum volume output of the amp.

• 2 weeks later...

For example:

I'm seting Chanel Volume for 10%. Now I'm using Master knob to volume up. I can hear any changes of volume only to 30-35% of scale of knob, after that volume do not change it's already max.

When I'm setting Chanel Volume to 50%, 88%, whatever, when I'm geting to 30-35% of master knob volum is max and I can set master knob to 50%- 90% it doesen't matter.

In my old amp when I set chanel for 10% and master for 50% I had 5% of power. When I set Chanel for 50% and Master for 100% I had 50% and so on. Here When I set Chanel for 50% and master for 40% or 70% I have 50%

• 6 months later...

Jup - same problem here with a Spider iv 150 - for me the Master pot behaves like a 180 degree twisted logarithmic volume pot. This means it starts rising the volume very fast and needs for the 10% of volume the last 50% of the way. I allready contact the support about that. The answer was: make a factory reset and try to reload the latest firmware. I did that, how ever I've still have this problem. So I went up into a store just to check if it is the hardware. I found out:  all of the Spiders I tested work same same bad way - so for me this is clearly a firmware bug.  I mean this is probably easy to fix because it is most likely just a accidentally reversed function in the VCA programming of the master pot. How ever some one have to tell them that - an I'm afraid the support hotline would do that.

So does any body know if there is a public bug tracking tool available, or how to contact the 3'rd level support to report and confirm that error?

cu
Andreas

Jup - same problem here with a Spider iv 150 - for me the Master pot behaves like a 180 degree twisted logarithmic volume pot. This means it starts rising the volume very fast and needs for the 10% of volume the last 50% of the way. I allready contact the support about that. The answer was: make a factory reset and try to reload the latest firmware. I did that, how ever I've still have this problem. So I went up into a store just to check if it is the hardware. I found out:  all of the Spiders I tested work same same bad way - so for me this is clearly a firmware bug.  I mean this is probably easy to fix because it is most likely just a accidentally reversed function in the VCA programming of the master pot. How ever some one have to tell them that - an I'm afraid the support hotline would do that.

So does any body know if there is a public bug tracking tool available, or how to contact the 3'rd level support to report and confirm that error?

cu

Andreas

It's not a bug, its all dependent on the settings:

Your total volume is based on a combination of the Channel Volume (which is part of any preset you are using) and the Master Volume.

If the Channel Volume is set very high, then at a certain point the Master Volume no longer increases the volume when you turn it up - you have reached the maximum volume output of the amp.

It's not a bug, its all dependent on the settings:

I'm starting to think you really don't understand our problem. I know that total volume is based on a combination of the Channel Volume and the Master Volume. I have different level of channel volume for all my presets. It doesn't mater if my chanel volum is 5% or 85% Master Volume knob is usefull only to 30-35%, after that is as loud as on 30-35%.

• Like 1

I'm starting to think you really don't understand our problem. I know that total volume is based on a combination of the Channel Volume and the Master Volume. I have different level of channel volume for all my presets. It doesn't mater if my chanel volum is 5% or 85% Master Volume knob is usefull only to 30-35%, after that is as loud as on 30-35%.

IF that's the case then ther eis something wrong wiht your amp and you should bring it to an authorized service center for evaluation.

I don't think that this will help. As I wrote - I was all ready back in the shop and checked the other Line6. All behave the same way. I don't believe, that all of them are broken. So this is ether a "marketing feature" to make people believe that line6 amps are louder the others (I guess most of the customers wouldn't turn the volume pot to 5 a clock in a shop if it is loud as hell at 12 a clock...), or this is a bug. If it is a bug then it have to be fixed by line6 with a FW update.

So the question was: Is there is a way to tell them / contact them, other then over the support page.

Honestly speaking I hope it's a bug and not a feature because experience say: marketing will win those battles as long they can increase the numbers with such tricks ...

cu
Andreas

Dont use master volume to control volume levels, sounds crazy but line 6 amps have a lollipopting master volume control. Basically set it at your preferred volume using a stock pre-set, And modify all your presets using Channel Volume to have the same level as the control (the factory preset at your desired master volume level).

• 4 months later...

Hello my name is erick and i have the same problem! My spider iv 75 doesnt work very great in less of 25% of the full master volume. When im playing the sound just goes down and doesnt come back till i move the knob up but it doesnt happens all the time, sometimes it just stays very low for a couple of minutes and when im playing live is very annoying cause the sound goes up suddenly. I dont know what to do i checked with the channel volume and with the master volume and its the same. I hope someone could help us soon.

Hello Erick.  Your problem is different than what the original poster was talking about.  What you may have is a moving control from vibration of the amp - when you hear the volume change, check the master volume (and channel volume) controls - have they moved from what they were set at?  The channel volume control will not necessarily show what the preset is set at, this is a 'saved' level, but the master volume is not saved.

I have a 75 and a 150 head,no vol issues at all.

For rythmn work,my channel vols are all set at the 12 oclock position

For lead patches,i set them at 2 oclock channel volume.

On the 75,master volume at 12 oclock and on the 150 its at 9 oclock.

Give it a try.

But I think I understand what the original poster is saying.

They are getting max master out put at around the 10 pm position with the master vol.shouldnt be the case at all

Yes I am having volume issues with my 150 spider iii also. Sound levels just fade off when I play leads. Its not the cable or guitar...checked.

It tends to happen after the amp heats up a bit. Also, I use a Mk11 shortboard (yes I changed cat 5 cable too). Someone said it could be the channel volume moving...caused from vibrations......any thoughts.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

This is a problem inherent with both my Spider IV HD 150 and my Spider IV 150 combo. The master volume control is uber-sensitive around the 8-9-10 o clock position. The volume output rises and maxes out very quickly. Also, the pots move so freely, that at high volume levels, the master volume knob can and will move from vibration.

The only solution I have come up with is to try to set the channel volumes of your presets lower, and I put a #10 o-ring behind the knob itself, between the knob and the face plate of the amp, which offers a little more physical resistance (depending on how hard you push the knob back on the shaft of the pot after installing the o-ring) and my master volume no longer moves when I don't want it to. It also makes the master volume a bit more manageable.

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased the Spider iv 120 in april and the master volume knob is still super sensitive!!! I can't put it at 12:00 unless I want my ears to bleed! I don't understand why they won't fix this!

Check your channel volume settings on any patches where this is happening - if you have the channel volume WAY up, this is possible.  Yes the 120 is loud!

• 2 years later...

I read all these posts, and they seem very contradictory and confusing.  I have tried various combinations of Master vs Channel volume, and still not satisfied with  behavior of the amp.  Should I just take this to a service center at this point?  I'm ready to just sell this thing and move onto another amp. 

I like the amp when it works as expected.  It just never works as expected.

Just sell it like I did. Line 6 don't give a F about problems theirs users have. I bought Peavey tube amp and it works perfect. Also I have TC-Helicon Voicelive 3 and it is much much much much better than Line Spider Signal processing in use with guitar

Jcook - what problems (behaviors) are you having?  The standard way of using the two volume controls is to set the master volume around 25% (to start) then adjust the channel volume in each patch to be similar as you change patches.  Then if you need more volume overall, you use the master volume.

For live playing, I would typically have a patch in each bank with the same tone settings as another patch, but with a higher channel volume so I could switch to  that for a lead part.

Note that the amp has a maximum volume it can achieve - this is a combination of the 2 volume controls.  If you have the channel volume at 100%, then when you adjust the master volume there will be a point where turning it further does not increase  the volume any more.

If you bought a car and couldn't figure out how to adjust the radio and cruise control settings would you sell it?  Or try to learn how to use it correctly? 

Thousands of people have been using the Spider amps for years for studio and live work.

• 1 year later...

I have the same problem with my Spider IV 75. My master volume is very sensitive around 9 o clock. I can't put it over than this because, it jumps to a very too loud sound.

I understand that i can set my channel volume lower for every patch. That's great. This will solve my issue. Almost. What about the factory patches? It seems that i can't change them. So, there is a risk for my ears if i set my master volume at 12 o clock and by accident, i go back on a factory preset. This risk can cause serious damage to my ears.

My question is: Is there a way to have a firmware update with factory patches at a lower channel volume?

Thanks for your help.

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 9:59 PM, bgince said:

I have the same problem with my Spider IV 75. My master volume is very sensitive around 9 o clock. I can't put it over than this because, it jumps to a very too loud sound.

I understand that i can set my channel volume lower for every patch. That's great. This will solve my issue. Almost. What about the factory patches? It seems that i can't change them. So, there is a risk for my ears if i set my master volume at 12 o clock and by accident, i go back on a factory preset. This risk can cause serious damage to my ears.

My question is: Is there a way to have a firmware update with factory patches at a lower channel volume?

Thanks for your help.

Save the factory patch to one of the user patch locations after making the changes in channel volume.

• 4 months later...

I was once all all set back within the retailer and checked the opposite Line6. All raise on a an identical approach. I don't believe, that all of them are broken. So that is ether an advertising highlight to motive participants to believe that line6 amps are more excessive the others.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 10:13 PM, brhea said:

My problem is Everytime I change the presents the volume gets super loud and almost blows my eardrums what can be done about this

First, do you have the master volume knob up?  If so, turn it down!

Next, check the channel volume level on your presets - maybe it has been saved with full volume/  Some factory presets are quite loud compared with others.  The factory presets are meant to be a starting place for sounds - adjust them to your liking, then save to a Use Preset patch location.

• 1 year later...

My spider IV was working great until i decided to try a factory reset, now if I move the channel volume everything goes quiet and the only way to restore sound is by moving the Amp Model knob , any body have this problem? I feel like my amp is done for