Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD HD500X and FLextone III

snitter

Hi all

Looking at getting a HD500X and hooking it up to my flextone III XL.  I was thinking of just using the Flex as a straight amp, and using the effects/amps in the HD instead.  I have modded the Flex, so it is a head and 2 1x12 cabs to spread out the stereo (very nice!)

WHat would be the best way to hook everything up so I can utilise the HD amp models and the stereo effects within the HD500X?

I get terrible confused with effects loops, power amps etc etc...lol!

Thanks

Mark

best way to run this will be taking the 1/4 outs from the HD500X straight into the FX Return on the Flextone.  That bypasses all the internal amps and effects in the Flextone and just uses the power section to your cabs.  Use the amps,cabs and effects in the POD in full stereo in this configuration.  Should be a monster!

Excellent.  Thank you very much for your speedy reply.

Are the effects in the pod better than on the flex?  I would assume they are, but the chorus and ping pong are absolutely glorious on the Flex.  Also, I love the JC120 amp on the flex, and I notice the POD doesn't have that on it (unless I spend another $49 on a pack - Grrrrrr).  Any configuration to use that too possibly?

Thanks again

Are the effects in the pod better than on the flex?  I would assume they are, but the chorus and ping pong are absolutely glorious on the Flex.  Also, I love the JC120 amp on the flex, and I notice the POD doesn't have that on it (unless I spend another $49 on a pack - Grrrrrr).  Any configuration to use that too possibly?

Yes the amps and effects in the POD are that much better IMHO...  I had a Flextone II head and I know its a capable unit but the POD does sound better.  Its a learning curve but worth it.  You could always use the 4 cable method to use the Flextone amps and effects but not the best solution.  If you really want the JC120 get the model pack, I am pretty sure it will be worth it.  (I will definitely buy the full bundle)

I use my old Flexy (3xl) with my HD bean all the time...Works pretty decent...

Don't forget that you need a dummy plug in the GTR input of the Flexy to turn on the power amp when you run and POD into the Flextone III Fx Returns...

By default, the flextone III XL will power up with the FX Loop enabled...However, if you recall a patch where the FX Loop is off, then the FX Loop will be turned off...just turn the amp off and back on again to enable the FX loop, plug in a short board or hook up Edit...

and yes, the FX in HD are better than the Flextone...

OK.  I've been pondering this info.

Not to sound like an absolute numpty, but how does an amp actually flow?  WHat bit does what exactly?  Where does the effects loop go before?

I've only ever either plugged into the front with pedals, or used Line6 stuff with built in modelling/effects.  Never actually thought how it works as such!

Thanks