Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

amp model which takes overdrive pedals well

scias23

I really like the Deluxe, Bassman, Divided by 13 and Dr Z with TS or Tube Driver for that "snarly" vintage crunch sound. ( roll guitar volume up/down for different levels of gain)

The Vox AC30 is really cool with either of the above plus the Rat sim. ( as are the JTM / Plexi / Park models). You get a nice British crunch/distortion.

For "hard rock / metal " crunch/distortion I tend to use either the Park / JCM models with either the Rat or Metalzone sims. The trick with these ( for me ) is to dial in the amp to a nice light crunch and then use the OD with lowish gain just to push in a little extra saturation.

try it, it works. I use a Modkitdiy Persuader in front or in the FX loop sometimes.

Problem is, I have no OD pedal yet. No idea what to get. I don't djent (haha) so a good OD pedal suggestion would be cool.

a good place to start would be the joyo ultimate drive. In terms of value for money.. hard to beat but you really dont need external drive with the pod hd, tons of great, accurate models in there

personally one of my all time favourite amps (real or modelled) to run a drive in front of is the bassman.. has that ability to make even the raspiest pedal sound smooth, and with a tube screamer, it's one of my all time favourite blues rock tones.

try this for a start:

choose an amp you like the clean sound of and get what you like from that amp (all clean with no effects). Change the eq setttings until it sounds nice with your chosen guitar.

now, turn off the amp block and add the od/distortion pedal you want to use. set the desired amount of gain and then toggle the od pedal on and off, listening to the difference in level with it on then off. Adjust the output level of the pedal so they are about the same, maybe slightly louder with the pedal on but not too much. Then turn on the amp again and choose the speaker/mic combination that suits your tone best.

Tweak from there and add effects...  if you find that your sound is lacking definition, you can add the cs-1 tb comp in front of the OD and set it so sustain is 0 and do the same thing with the level as you did for the OD pedal (match the on and off volumes) That will add some string twang back into the tone if you need it.. i like this for a muff as it really brings the sound of the guitar out.

Hope that helps...

• Upvote 2