Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

What pre-amp model provides the flattest response for acoustic

amsdenj

Until the 2.6 release comes out with acoustic model, I need something to provide more tone control for my variax 700 acoustic. I know a Fender Twin in the normal chanel with bass and treble all the way down and middle all the way up is reasonably flat. But is there a better choice for an acoustic pre-amp in the HD500X amp models?

I'm using the Vintage Pre and various combinations of EQ now, but that doesn't make any use of the drive, bass, middle, treble, and presence knobs on the HD500, and the EQs are mostly tailored for electric, not acoustic guitar or mandolin. The POD X3Live was more flexible for this, but doesn't have the HD quality.

I'll try the Hiwatt, using a spectrum analyzer to see how to use it with acoustic instruments. Hopefully this is only temporary until 2.6 comes out. I delayed getting an HD500X until I heard about this update as it now has the same capabilities as the X3Live, but with better quality models.

I use the studio eq.  I focus on the boomy freqs 50 - 100 hz.   Use the output to get volume then add a little verb.........Also, I use the mixer to balance with my other patches.  I find that acoustic patch are set around 6-9db.  Where electric patches are set -3 to 3 db.

I did some experimenting tonight and found that the Flip Top bass amp with no cabinet model is the flattest amp, and works reasonably well with a Variax 700 acoustic. Its a little darker than with no amp, but pretty transparent with the tone controls set at 50%. The voicings probably aren't great for acoustic guitar since its a bass amp. But I do recall that Ampeg bass amps used hi-fi boost/cut tone controls, not the all boost controls used by Fender. This is an option to explore until version 2.6 comes out.