Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Any way to control the footswitch lights from MIDI

amsdenj

I've been able to configure HD500X foot switches to control things in MainStage from the POD, but haven't found a way to have the foot switch lights indicate the state of the MainStage control. I could do with with the Apogee GiO by having MainStage output the MIDI CC message back to the device. This didn't do anything with the HD500X. Is there any way for MIDI to control the foot switch light status?

I'm not familiar at all with MainStage or the Apogee GiO, but if MainStage is capable of sending a MIDI CC message to the input of the hd500x, you could set up a dummy patch with each FX block populated with a dummy effect, for example a noise gate. Of course, keep all your current MIDI settings you already have in the patch to control MainStage. Then assign each noise gate to one of the switches. When you do something with the pod to control MainStage, MainStage must know when this happens. At the occurrence of this event, just have MainStage send the appropriate MIDI message back to the POD to toggle the appropriate FX.

If I'm misunderstanding the situation, please disregard all of the above.

That sounds like it would work, but using up effects blocks just to control lights seems like a waste. I have the effect blocks full, but don't switch them on and off with the the foots witches as they control things in MainStage instead. Rather I just reach down and turn them on and off at the beginning of a song with the POD controls.

Its not that bad having the lights not display the state of the control in MainStage because 1) MainStage (or Logic Remote) does show the state properly, and 2) you can clearly hear the impact of the choice (otherwise why have it?).

Just wondering if I was missing something simple. Just got the HD500X last weekend.

Ahh. Thought you were using the pod for just midi stuff.

But however you have a patch setup in the pod, you could still toggle the FX blocks from MainStage (if it's capable), and as long as you have some sort of interface you can hook to the midi in on the pod that can receive data from your computer. Not sure if the Apogee GiO falls in that category. One that does is a USB to MIDI device.

I don't use the Apogee GiO with the HD500X. Rather I have two basic setups - Apogee GiO into MainStage using S-Gear for the guitar amplifier, or HD500X for everything.  

What I'm looking for here is a bit more hybrid in that I want to use the HD500X to replace the Apogee GiO to provide:

1. an audio interface

2. some before the amp plugins (compression, univibe, distortion, etc.)

3. MIDI control for MainStage and S-Gear

MainStage and S-Gear provides flexibility and tones that compliment what's provided in the HD500X. But this is complex to setup and use. The HD500X doesn't sound as good, but it's close and certainly is simpler and easier to use. I use MainStage for backing tracks and the excellent looper, the HD500 looper is too short.

So my issue is I want to use some of the HD500 foot switches to control the HD500 front of the amp plugins, and some to control MainStage and S-Gear though MIDI. I have all that working, but pressing the foot switches configured for MIDI don't reflect the control state in the foot switch light - they're always off. This isn't a big deal, but would be nice to have an option to echo back the MIDI control to the POD in order to change the foot switch light state. That's they way the GiO works. 

I think I get it.

So the switches you're using via midi to control MainStage and S-Gear aren't assigned to anything from the pod internally. Strictly for midi control? If that's the case, then maybe assign a neutral effect that doesn't do anything, except when engaging the switch it will toggle the light and effect. For example, a volume pedal with the volume set to 100. Then assign that volume pedal to the same switch you have the midi output assigned to. It should control what you want in MainStage and S-Gear and at the same time toggle the volume pedal, thus toggling the light for that switch. This way you wouldn't need any midi input to the pod.

I found the answer in the advance manual of all places. The foot switches do respond to received MIDI, but on specific CC numbers, not the ones you configure in the MIDI control page. All I need to do is change all the MIDI mappings in MainStage to use the default CC messages assigned to the foot switches, then I think it will work. Will try that tonight.

The more I dig into and use the POD HD500X, the more I like it.

It won't. The CC messages change the state of the switch, which is the same as you physically pressing it. The lights are still connected to the first effect that is controlled by that switch. Send the CC to a switch that nothing is controlled by and nothing will happen.

• 4 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

You have to use an FX as a dummy that can be on/off to get some feedback from the led. I used the POD to switch effects from a TC G-Major (POD only in front of amp, G-Major in the amplifiers fx-loop). It took some time to set up, but it worked very well.