Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Got my new 59 JTV

Well I got my guitar.

Unexpected Journey. (all good)

Drove about an hour and half to PitBull Audio because they had several JTV's in stock. I had my mind made up for the jtv-69. They were waiting on a few other customers and said that they had the 69's in the warehouse. But they would bring one out for me in a minute. I saw that they had a 59 Cherry Burst on the wall, so I grabbed it off the wall and plugged in. Not battery so I just was checking out the feel and mag pickups. Right away this guitar felt like I had played it for years. fret board felt better than my LP standard. seemed to be able to play cleaner, like there was a fraction of an inch more room. It was just great. I couldn't wait to see the -69. In a few minutes they brought out the -69 and opened the box. I picked it up and it felt like a baseball bat sawn in half. fret board was nice, but felt a little rough on the sides (like it needed a little sanding). I sat and played for a while and I just could get that same feel that I had with the -59 a few minutes before. I knew from this forum that I could switch out the Neck and was prepared to do that. But......that 59 feel.

I have horses, and I have learned from experience and a few broken bones you get the best horse, not the best looking. So I thought hey I got to check the -59 again. Yep is was a dream. So I said, I really don't want this in Cherry Bust, do you have it in tobacco? They did, brought that out. It felt good like the Cherry but not quite as silky.

So I now own my last choice in color, but my new favorite player.

My impressions, first day plugged into my hd500X and my DT25, wow this thing sounds like crap. Did a lot of reading about settings, PRE-amp, line inputs and Variax settings, and then on the second day.... WOW....I can't put this thing down.   Sound IS AWSOME and MODELING IS FANTASTIC on most of the settings. Even the few like the acoustic and 12 strings that sounded bad on the next few days, once I found the acoustic settings in the playlist HD500x play list, another day of WOW. I can not see how this is not going to be the main guitar that I play. I have a Gibson LP Standard, Fender Start and a Taylor acoustic (and others). And the versatility and options have inspired 3 new songs in styles that I have never really worked on, JAZZBOX  and also with DADGAD in 12 string. 

I am satisfied beyond all expectations. I am a believer. Thanks to the great guys on the support forum for all there info.

• Upvote 1

Congrats!  It's neat that you had a chance to compare the different models prior to making the purchase.  I ordered my 69 online and, although I'm really happy with it, have often wondered how the other models feel.

Yeah, I know that many love the 69 that is why I was set to get it. Everyone's hands and play style are different, I was planning that I would get a new neck going in, but there was just a connection with the 59 feel. I really wanted tremlo and option of other necks but. When a guitar makes you want to play and create. You can't argue.

Main report is that the line6 can give you great tone (my main worry) and they are well made guitars. (69 neck with a little work.)

I didn't mention that when I line monkey updated, that it crashed to guitar and failed to update, then the USB hub started blinking red. Tried many times and it would not work. Then did what they say not to do and went through HD500x and LineMinkey saw the Variax and did UPDATE again and it worked. After that all good. So far.

Seems like using a POD is slower than using the dongle in my experience. I like the 59 as well, but personally I want a 69 over that. I want my dream guitar to have a trem system and I want the 5 way switch, which is quicker than messing with both a push and pull and a 3 way switch. Playing guitar live requires these actions to be done quickly between playing. 

Congrats on the purchase and being happy with it.  My 59 is honestly the best guitar I have played......the modeling (to me) is just a fantastic bonus.  In all my research before my purchase, that was the one thing that kept bring me back to it....it's great just as a guitar.  I should also say that I got it through Sweetwater, and they were excellent.  Ian Angle followed up a couple times just to make sure everything was going well.  Really nice to get that from an online purchase......glad you got to actually try out the options.  Enjoy!

• Upvote 2

Congrats on the purchase and being happy with it.  My 59 is honestly the best guitar I have played......the modeling (to me) is just a fantastic bonus.  In all my research before my purchase, that was the one thing that kept bring me back to it....it's great just as a guitar.  I should also say that I got it through Sweetwater, and they were excellent.  Ian Angle followed up a couple times just to make sure everything was going well.  Really nice to get that from an online purchase......glad you got to actually try out the options.  Enjoy!

I got follow ups as well when I bought a VOX mini amp from them. Actually works really well with my POD and Variax, especially with the Line option to get a bit of a FRFR setting.

Sweetwater is definitely a must. I know that's where I'm getting my JTV from, should be soon.

I got follow ups as well when I bought a VOX mini amp from them. Actually works really well with my POD and Variax, especially with the Line option to get a bit of a FRFR setting.

Sweetwater is definitely a must. I know that's where I'm getting my JTV from, should be soon.

Great Co.  No question where future purchases will be made......unless I just have to have it right now of course  :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1