Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Used (but new to me) JTV-59 - Selector switch sadness

Hi all,

I had a "plain-jane" Variax way back when (2004-5?) which I sold when I was saving for a house with my wife. I have been dying to try the new breed and decided to take the plunge on a beautiful, yet used, JTV-59. I didn't have time to mess around with it past making sure it made sounds before I brought it home from Guitar Center, but I may have found an issue that many on these boards may already be aware of.

Serial no is W12030341 so I'm thinking it's March 2012 production, but I believe it has the pickup selector switch problem I've found archived here in the forums. The switch works flawlessly with the magnetic pickups, but when the models are on the switch does nothing. If I press the Alt Tuning Knob it seems to switch between models 1 and 2 of whichever bank I'm on.

I was trying to get creative with my HD500x and simply control all the model changing with my feet but that is starting to eat up preset real estate an reduces spontaneity. 

At $699 plus tax this was a deal, but if I need to send it in for repairs I have to ask myself when the savings is no longer savings.

I haven't decided yet so I thought I'd check out here for some feedback.  Thanks!

You must start an RMA and see if Line-6 is still covering JTV-59 PU Selector replacement for that serial number range

I purchased my JTV-59 thru Musicians Friend as a "restock" back in December 2012. Summer  2013 I installed a Bigsby B7, and September 2013 my JTV-59 PU Selector went bad!

I contacted Line6 and they started the  RMA process. I recall I only paid shipping to the Line-6 Repair facility, and my guitar was returned in a week with a new switch

Alternatively  - if Line 6 tell you you are SOL with no warranty - FullCompass sells  replacement switches  here:

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/458044.html
Line 6 50-02-9331
3 Way Toggle Switch for JTV-59

OUR PART #  50-02-9331

195794.jpg

• Upvote 2

I'd start with GC. Unless they sell all their used gear "as is", then I'd think that there would still be a window to return it. Start over with a new one. See if L6 is still doing the $150 rebate on the JTVs...you might get closer to that price than you think...you'll just have to wait till 6 months after Armageddon for the check...

• Upvote 1

The switch works flawlessly with the magnetic pickups, but when the models are on the switch does nothing. If I press the Alt Tuning Knob it seems to switch between models 1 and 2 of whichever bank I'm on.

Reset it to factory default, then reload all the models and the new firmware - just to be sure. 

Possibly some strange setup in the model selections from the previous owner?

• Upvote 1

Excellent suggestions from all. I think I'm going to try them in order of:

1. ColonelForbin - reload the firmware, if that fails:

2. cruisinon2 - check with GC to see what my options are, if that fails:

3. stevekc - get with Line 6 RMA process and lastly, trying buying that replacement part.

Much appreciated.

UPDATE: I reloaded the firmware, going back to 1.9(?) and then up to current with no results.

I took my guitar back to Guitar Center and they were very cool about it since my intention was to hand them the used model and buy the new one (even though the serial numbers are very close sequentially). I tested out the new one and it behaved as hoped, so I paid the difference and also received a couple extra goodies that were not included in my used one. Now I have the digital cable and the USB interface plus all the manuals.

I suspect that this "new" one was a restock since most of the items had been cracked open at least once and the price was down to $890-ish. Seems fine to me.

I also have that all important warranty if anything goes wrong with that switch. Thanks for everyone's help!

• Upvote 2

You don't happen to live near Portland Oregon do you?

Hi all,

I had a "plain-jane" Variax way back when (2004-5?) which I sold when I was saving for a house with my wife. I have been dying to try the new breed and decided to take the plunge on a beautiful, yet used, JTV-59. I didn't have time to mess around with it past making sure it made sounds before I brought it home from Guitar Center, but I may have found an issue that many on these boards may already be aware of.

Serial no is W12030341 so I'm thinking it's March 2012 production, but I believe it has the pickup selector switch problem I've found archived here in the forums. The switch works flawlessly with the magnetic pickups, but when the models are on the switch does nothing. If I press the Alt Tuning Knob it seems to switch between models 1 and 2 of whichever bank I'm on.

I was trying to get creative with my HD500x and simply control all the model changing with my feet but that is starting to eat up preset real estate an reduces spontaneity.

At $699 plus tax this was a deal, but if I need to send it in for repairs I have to ask myself when the savings is no longer savings.

I haven't decided yet so I thought I'd check out here for some feedback. Thanks!

UPDATE: I reloaded the firmware, going back to 1.9(?) and then up to current with no results.

I took my guitar back to Guitar Center and they were very cool about it since my intention was to hand them the used model and buy the new one (even though the serial numbers are very close sequentially). I tested out the new one and it behaved as hoped, so I paid the difference and also received a couple extra goodies that were not included in my used one. Now I have the digital cable and the USB interface plus all the manuals.

I suspect that this "new" one was a restock since most of the items had been cracked open at least once and the price was down to $890-ish. Seems fine to me.

I also have that all important warranty if anything goes wrong with that switch. Thanks for everyone's help!

Sweet! Yeah, good call, you diagnosed the symptoms pretty well. Since doing that firmware reset didn't help, you were definitely looking at hardware related malfunctions. If you haven't already, make sure you get a decent VDI cable if you end up using it with a POD. Get the kind with the XLR style shielding on both ends:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VDI

I got one of those (Line6 brand) and then also got one from these folks:

http://btpa.com/Line-6-Variax/

Sweet! Yeah, good call, you diagnosed the symptoms pretty well. Since doing that firmware reset didn't help, you were definitely looking at hardware related malfunctions. If you haven't already, make sure you get a decent VDI cable if you end up using it with a POD. Get the kind with the XLR style shielding on both ends:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VDI

I got one of those (Line6 brand) and then also got one from these folks:

http://btpa.com/Line-6-Variax/

Just got a Line 6 branded one via Amazon and it's pretty incredible. SUCH better quality than before. Took everything for a spin this weekend and I'm only scratching the surface. Thanks again for the tips.