Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

EQable Dual cabs/Dual mics suggestion for HD500 and next gen POD

scias23

I thought about this while rebuilding again my patches to use dual cabs (because single cabs sounds fake and weird, so hard to EQ).

What if L6 add a new feature in this current hd line and possibly in the next generation pod:

- Separate amp from cab blocks so user can use two different cabs

- If not using dual cab, have the option to use dual mic on a single cab. (mics IR should be phase corrected so the user won't figure out how many samples the mics need to be delayed)

- Or have the ability to use two mics each cab for dual cab setup? (don't know if the device has enough power for this)

- If IRs are not phase corrected, provide a sample delay parameter in the mics.

- 3 band parametric EQ with HPF LPF in the mics OR cab. But I think it will make sense to put the EQ functionality in the mics options.

- If the dual mics can be panned left or right, that'll be very cool

I think this happens in the real world, a single cab with multiple mics.

What do you think?

Can't post on Ideascale now. Can't access the website from office PC.

Sounds cool, very usable and efficient in terms of DSP power. Two mics on a single cab with separate flexible EQ for each mic would be perfect but that sounds unreal to me, the history of POD HD updates has not been that encouraging so far. Also separating cab from amp and mic from cab would mean a lot of changes in terms of User Interface ("how to display it on PODs display") which is a big deal IMO. So I won't hold my breath for any of these suggestions. On the other hand voting for your idea will cost me nothing... ;)

I think some of what you suggest will be taken care of with the new global EQ, and even more so if the new EQ Block can saved on preset basis (IdeaScale).

But the idea about two cab blocks with one amp is good, and even multiple mics per cab. I like those. They should allow for positioning of the mics too maybe.

Its a good idea, which is why it has been thought of several times before - Meambobbo had the two amps set the same for different cabs and mics in his high gain guide and discussions ran from there - he also had to fake the time delay problem by using a flat eq to delay one path or the other so that they stayed in phase.

Try 

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Separate-amp-and-cab-blocks/499867-23508

Or 

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/POD-HD-Series-Dual-Cabs/502904-23508

Or 

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/POD-HD-Split-preamp-Poweramp-cab-in-seperate-blocks/493760-23508

+1

That was my main gripe with the provided single cab/mic emulations.  The frequency response is all over the place, rarely balanced.  The Treadplate cab is particularly thin - the Mesa Rectifier cab is widely known as a very punchy, thick cab.  There shouldn't be such a wide gap between it and the ENGL.

In a really, really old post, I use a ton of Pod EQ to match the cabs to their RedWirez equivalents, and they sounded pretty darn good (see http://foobazaar.com/podhd/PodCabComp/).  This was before the Cab DEP's were even available.  Of course, the patches were unusable because there were so many EQ's that you didn't have room for effects.

I also included separating amp and cab/mic in my wishlist, so you wouldn't eat DSP just to use dual cab/mics.

I play around with dual amps/cabs a lot and MeAmBobbo's guide has been invaluable... thanks bro!  one thing I have found is to use one full amp and a matching pre.  It seems to be tighter with only one modeled power section. It uses less DSP too so that's a bonus.  Try experimenting with the less popular amp models too. The Gibby is a great amp in a dual patch.