Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Searching Patch for rehearsal studio! pod hd500

Andstev

I have to chance every week different studios cause i play with 3 bands.

My sound, sound like s@@@@ everywhere. As i know the sound in my house (small room) is very different from when i go to rehearsal in studio of curse!

Any suggestion where to find good patches for my pod hd500 to feet somehow everywhere?

iplay with

studio No1. Randall RH150 G3 CA HEAD & Randall RS 412 XC  CABINET

studio No2. LANEY GUITAR HEAD & BEHRINGER 4X12 GUITAR CABINET

studio No3. Marshall AVT150H Tribute HEAD & Marshall AVT-412Α  CABINET

The music where i play is Doom Death Metal (My dying Bride style)

- clean with reverb and delay

- distro

- solo with reverb and delay

Unfortunately i'm new on podhd500 and i never have good sound!!!

Maybe is time to start with analog staff ?

thank's

You are not likely to find a "drag and drop" solution to this problem. Nothing is ever gonna sound the same from bedroom to gig volume, or from one room to another...I don't care who's gear you buy. There is usually a long learning curve to the HD units...many things to adjust and experiment with. The only way to tailor your patches to the 3 different rigs you mentioned is with your ears. Patches that someone else created with a different guitar, in a different room, and their own preference for what "good" sound is, even if they used same amps you listed, are not likely to translate into a usable tone for you. Too many variables...all you will end up doing is wasting time.  There's now way out of the experimental phase, and no shortcuts. Just the nature of the beast.

You are not likely to find a "drag and drop" solution to this problem. Nothing is ever gonna sound the same from bedroom to gig volume, or from one room to another...I don't care who's gear you buy. There is usually a long learning curve to the HD units...many things to adjust and experiment with. The only way to tailor your patches to the 3 different rigs you mentioned is with your ears. Patches that someone else created with a different guitar, in a different room, and their own preference for what "good" sound is, even if they used same amps you listed, are not likely to translate into a usable tone for you. Too many variables...all you will end up doing is wasting time.  There's now way out of the experimental phase, and no shortcuts. Just the nature of the beast.

disagree my friend, i will respect your opinion, but you try only to misunderstand what i say! i need some help, if you are not able to help me go to your cave with the nature and the beast   :P .

Always will be someone who want to say anything except the "solution"

Peace

Well this is not going to be what you want to hear but... the only way to stay consistent is to go straight to the board/PA using full amp models in the POD.  At least that way you will have the same tone at each studio and more or less the same at performance venues.

The next best option is to use preamp models and Stack Power Amp output mode and go straight into the FX return on each amp (hopefully they have one).  If you are trying to use 4CM on 3 different rigs you are bound to have difficulties.  You will still have some EQ difference with the different amps and cabs but this should be much more consistent.

What are you using for live performance?  One of these rigs or something different again?

When asking for advice/solutions it always helps to give as much info as possible.  You did not say how you are connected, what output modes you use, etc...

• Upvote 1

Well this is not going to be what you want to hear but... the only way to stay consistent is to go straight to the board/PA using full amp models in the POD.  At least that way you will have the same tone at each studio and more or less the same at performance venues.

The next best option is to use preamp models and Stack Power Amp output mode and go straight into the FX return on each amp (hopefully they have one).  If you are trying to use 4CM on 3 different rigs you are bound to have difficulties.  You will still have some EQ difference with the different amps and cabs but this should be much more consistent.

What are you using for live performance?  One of these rigs or something different again?

When asking for advice/solutions it always helps to give as much info as possible.  You did not say how you are connected, what output modes you use, etc...

yes you are right!

in live i play with different rigs as you say!

i use this option

HD500 INPUT>GUITAR INPUT

HD500 OUTPUT>HEAD FX RETURN 

I agree, you will not find anything that is drag and drop in custom tone.    You need to develop your skills.

If it was me.........I would focus on one studio and get great patches.  Then copy them and start working on studio 2.  What you will find is that the differences will be consistent.  Let me give you an example.  When I create a patch at home with headsets it sounds great.......When I get to the studio, I need to make changes.  However, most times I know that the "mix" on most effect needs to be changed.  I usually need less, reverb, echo, distortion.......  Also, I usually need to change tone on the amp.......What I mean is that after awhile you will get to know your environments.

Also,  If you go on the web and do research on the songs/bands......you can get a good idea what gear they are using.........Given that you are doing Death Metal.....I'm guessing that you probably won't want to use the Fender Amps.........By doing that process of elimination, you will limit your choices and make the process less confusing....Last thing.,.......you are an expert......you know what sounds good to you!  Turn the dials.........

• Upvote 1

HD500 INPUT>GUITAR INPUT

HD500 OUTPUT>HEAD FX RETURN 

yeah, this should get you the closest between rigs as a starting point. Make sure your output mode is set to stack return.

For your style I would go with a signal chain something like gate(if you want one)->Overdrive or Fuzz-> treadplate model (pre-only version, NO cabinet simulation) and then whatever delays/reverbs you like. One thing for sure though is you're going to want to set this up at rehearsal volume. If it were me, I would make copies of the patches I like in one rig, then EQ them to match the next rig, and so on. You have 512 slots for custom tones, no reason to NOT have patches for each rig.

AH Ninja'd by the above!

• Upvote 1

I am always playing with different people. The difference, though, is that I go straight to the PA. And really, why use amp models if you are going through an amp. 

What I do, for the things I do regularly, is use a separate set of patches. 

Band #1 gets these patches -- adjusted accordingly. 

Band #2 gets these patches -- adjusted for what is needed for them. 

And so on. 

So, even though some of the 'master' patches overlap, they get tweaked and saved separately. 

Short of letting the sound guy mix you through the PA, the only suggestion would be to use the amp's tone controls. 

Make your patches with amp the eq flat, and then use the eq to adjust to the rooms you are in. 

Its certainly easier to twist the 4 physical knobs on your amp than it is to adjust patches every time. 

Short of letting the sound guy mix you through the PA, the only suggestion would be to use the amp's tone controls. 

Make your patches with amp the eq flat, and then use the eq to adjust to the rooms you are in. 

Its certainly easier to twist the 4 physical knobs on your amp than it is to adjust patches every time. 

This doesn't work if you are going into the FX return... I guess you use the 4CM?  The new global EQ should work for this though...

disagree my friend, i will respect your opinion, but you try only to misunderstand what i say! i need some help, if you are not able to help me go to your cave with the nature and the beast :P .

Always will be someone who want to say anything except the "solution"

Peace

I understood you just fine. You want a ready-made solution to click on, and expect the work to end there. Unfortunately that doesn't exist. I tried the customtone route at first, found it almost entirely useless, and wasted a lot of time. I was trying to save you the trouble of wandering down the same fruitless path. But if you'd rather be obnoxious, thats fine too. Best of luck.

• Upvote 1

I have a couple of banks that I use for recording, those same banks copied and edited as needed for playing live at church through the D.I. monitoring through an Aviom IEM system, then those same banks copied and edited for connecting via the return of my Carvin Amp.

Depending on where I'm playing, I just pick the appropriate banks, and my sound is reasonably consistent from venue to venue, particularly when I do the D.I./IEM route.

This doesn't work if you are going into the FX return... I guess you use the 4CM?  The new global EQ should work for this though...

Not 4cm. I go direct to PA. No stage amps. 

And yes, global eq should work. But we don't have it yet. Plus, his amps have eq's on them. Why wouldn't that work for room shaping? 

*although, so many amp and eq possibilities in the equation, its easy to misunderstand. 

Plus, his amps have eq's on them. Why wouldn't that work for room shaping?

If you are going straight into the FX return of the amp you are bypassing the amp's pre section and tone stack.  You are doing all that in the POD and just injecting the signal to the amp's power section.  The only thing that may still work is the amp's Master volume if it has one.

• Upvote 1

1. I guess that depends on what amp head you are using. (Pre/post/master) 

2. He can get out of the fx loop and go in the guitar input. 

If the pod sounds good at home when designing patches. But like crap through his various rigs. - EQ the rig. 

Or, at least, that's my take on it. 

is that right? I have never seen an amps FX loop anywhere other than after the pre section and before the power amp.  Maybe I am wrong.  As far as going into the front of the amp, maybe if you are just using effects but if you are using the POD's amps that is not a good option, especially if your goal is to gain consistency in tone across multiple amps.  Of course I could be wrong...

• Upvote 1

If the pod sounds good at home when designing patches. But like crap through his various rigs. - EQ the rig. 

Or, at least, that's my take on it. 

Plugging a pre-amp into a pre-amp in a guitar chain is bad idea, for the most part. Especially if he's trying to come up with patches that will work relatively the same across a variety of similar, but different rigs. The closest to "same" you can do between your set-ups is to go into the FX return with pre-only models. Even then the speakers/cabinet will impart something from space to space. 

"EQ'ing the rig" means adjusting it each time he walks in the room, depending on who used it last. Having a set of patches for each rig means plug in and play after one initial adjustment. 

Ideally, if you want tonal consistency going into a PA with full models would be the way to go. Even in that instance you couldn't just take your home practice/headphones patches an have them sound good at performance level without EQ'ing a bunch somewhere after the POD in the chain.