Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

tech service bulletin 059

elovercast

OK - guess I missed that tidbit of info. So I guess the scenario where you can be confident you won't experience the problem is after it gets repaired. :P

Sure hope I get there!  I dropped it off for warranty service today.  The guys at the shop couldn't believe how new it looks--which it does because the original owner never played it (which I totally can't understand but oh well).

It's so weird, I've owned it less than 3 weeks, but from the moment I heard it deliver that creamy articulation to my lead playing and smooth, elegant crunch to my rhythms, I've been obsessed with not letting it go despite the concerns; dating from my original post "How hot should my DT get?" to the excessive white noise thing, the ground buzz thing, and all along trying to get an answer from Line 6 (which I finally did get yesterday on the phone) about TSB 059.  But as soon as the data tipped the scales for me to where it seemed clear that I must bring it in for service, a load has lifted from my shoulders!  It could easily be gone more than 2 weeks (which is the absolute minimum), but the service center is one of the best in the state, so I am now confident that I won't be having these doubts after this.  I mean, yeah, it's possible that my aforementioned concern materializes, but reflecting on all these symptoms which in small part are normal but in this amp are excessive, I highly doubt that something wrong isn't going to be discovered.  So at that point I will be living the scenario you predict.   :D

Yeah, baby!

Back to my HD500 for now, but I sure won't forget my DT50 anytime soon.

• 3 weeks later...

Got a voice mail from the shop today on my DT50-112 (after 2.5 weeks).  He says my amp is "a pretty strange one there."  Control signals are either getting mixed up by the DSP or they're coming out of the DSP wrong.  Low power mode is sometimes more like high power mode, actually (depending on the topography is what I think he meant by "sometimes").  Line 6 advised him to replace the DSP board, which is on the way and should be here in a week.  If that doesn't cure all my ills, then probably relays or...?, he said.  

That doesn't seem quite like the issue of TSB 059, does it?

Got a voice mail from the shop today on my DT50-112 (after 2.5 weeks).  He says my amp is "a pretty strange one there."  Control signals are either getting mixed up by the DSP or they're coming out of the DSP wrong.  Low power mode is sometimes more like high power mode, actually (depending on the topography is what I think he meant by "sometimes").  Line 6 advised him to replace the DSP board, which is on the way and should be here in a week.  If that doesn't cure all my ills, then probably relays or...?, he said.  

That doesn't seem quite like the issue of TSB 059, does it?

Seems like something all together different, for sure. Hopefully thay can get it fixed for ya and it be reliable.

What may suck is that the relays are on the analog board, so if the new DSP board doesn't fix the problem, you'll have to wait another week or so to get a new analog board.  I had a problem with my DT50 due to a diode that protects the coil in one of the relays.  The diode was shorted so the relay couldn't switch.  Maybe your amp has a similar problem, where the DSP is sending the right control signals, but the relay (or relays) are not able to switch properly.

Here's my story:

http://line6.com/support/topic/10123-dead-dt50-repair-fun/

Good luck!

• Upvote 1

What may suck is that the relays are on the analog board, so if the new DSP board doesn't fix the problem, you'll have to wait another week or so to get a new analog board.  I had a problem with my DT50 due to a diode that protects the coil in one of the relays.  The diode was shorted so the relay couldn't switch.  Maybe your amp has a similar problem, where the DSP is sending the right control signals, but the relay (or relays) are not able to switch properly.

Here's my story:

http://line6.com/support/topic/10123-dead-dt50-repair-fun/

Good luck!

After reading your thread, I now know that it's the "analog board" that has the tubes.  I do suspect an issue there as well, so unfortunately I could be waiting, and waiting, and...

But anyway, thanks for the excellent comment!!!!!!!

...ever thought of installing a small cooling fan inside the metal box of your combo amps?  Seems ridiculous to me to have all that heat spewing off those tubes and rising right into those sophisticated electronics.  Can't figure out why a fan isn't there already.  Just sayin...

• 4 weeks later...

I bought my DT50-212 from Long and McQuade last week. This is a very loud and versatile amp. Far above my expectations. I have had no issues with it over the week but just thought I would send a ticket and ask. I specifically stated I had no issues. They said mine was one of the effected amps and recommended I bring it to a service shop. I brought the amp back to L&M and showed them the print out of the ticket. They are shipping it off to the Oshawa location where the head of Line6 Canada service is for L&M.

I also learned my new amp was built in 2010. I bought it brand new right out of the box. Maybe that's why they are on sale for $1399. How many more are sitting on the shelves?

I still think I got a great deal. Not sour at all about having to send it in.

If I find out what they replaced I'll update the post.

Just got the amp back and the ticket says they replaced the fuse and checked the bias. That's it. I was annoyed at first they didn't do more but I guess in looking at it at least I know it's been checked and ok.

• Upvote 1

Just got the amp back and the ticket says they replaced the fuse and checked the bias. That's it. I was annoyed at first they didn't do more but I guess in looking at it at least I know it's been checked and ok.

You lost 6 weeks for that, eh?  Does seem out of whack, but on the other hand you're actually better off, I think.

When the service center got done with my amp, I was told that TSB 059 was all about a bad fuse, and they'd replaced mine too.  I was quite surprised and disappointed myself (being that I had a number of concerns that kinda weren't dealt with), but the important thing is having an operating amp.  Apparently the defect was entirely due to some bad fuses.  Most of those who found out their fuses were bad learned via resulting damages from over-currents.  Boards and transformers went bad.  You and I are actually the lucky ones because our amps didn't suffer those kinds of stresses.

So my amp is still too noisey, but it doesn't run quite as hot, and the smell of burning electronics has abated.  However, I'm still pointing a fan at the back side of it because I don't like the heat from the tubes on the boards above.  Due to the DSP board being replaced, my amp volumes are a little different, so I couldn't use any of my patches (stored in my HD500), but that's okay because I'm actually doing better at creating patches with consistent volumes.  

I love this amp's tone, though I'm a bit surprised that when using the pre-amps the cleans and the high gains all kind of sound the same--I didn't find this when going studio-direct with my pod hd.  I wish I had the 212 like you do, though!!!  That extra speaker makes a big difference--maybe not in a miked tone, but hey, I play for myself.

• 2 weeks later...

So can anyone tell me if the transformer issue is fixed? I had a DT50 a few years ago, loved it! Then the transformer blew. Long story short, I got rid of it when I found out that it's an ongoing issue. I'll def get another one though if the situation is resolved. So bottom line, is it safe to buy one now?

So can anyone tell me if the transformer issue is fixed? I had a DT50 a few years ago, loved it! Then the transformer blew. Long story short, I got rid of it when I found out that it's an ongoing issue. I'll def get another one though if the situation is resolved. So bottom line, is it safe to buy one now?

there's a range of s/n's involved.  after the issue was discovered it was reportedly corrected for all subsequent amps.  however, some of the old amps may be still in some stores.  but if the issue truly is entirely stemming from bad/wrong fuses, it should be an easy matter to determine if your fuse is correct or not, and if not, replace it.  you could just call line 6 tech support, give them your s/n, and find out.

• 3 weeks later...

Have my DT50 in the shop...and yeah it's covered (blown transformers and a blown cap).

But Line 6 said the transformers are on backorder until at LEAST mid June. :(

So I was just looking at Musicians Friend out of curiosity.

Looks like Yamaha is phasing out the DT amps just like they did the James Tyler guitars.
And just like the James Tyler guitars are on sale for over half the price they originally were...so are brand new DT amps!

So I just picked up a DT25 head from Musician's Friend for $449.99 !!!

That is a FANTASTIC price!

-Robbie

• 2 months later...

So long story short,

After owning a DT 50-112 for 2 weeks, bought through Craigslist.  The amp looked brand new and played like a charm, after an Easter service it wouldn't turn on.  I took it into the shop, was told it wouldn't be under warranty due to the used purchase and the back order on the transformer was 3 months.  I just got it back and $300 later it plays fine again but now I am nervous if it is going to go out again.  The serial on it is (21)A881S6034000123  Does anyone know if that falls within the numbers that failed.  I am just curious if Line6 would cover this recalled part?

Funny thing was, when I went back into the shop to pick up the amp I couldn't remember the make and model of the amp for them to identify it because I told them, they have owned it longer than I have!   :) 

Any info would be great.  Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

So long story short,

After owning a DT 50-112 for 2 weeks, bought through Craigslist.  The amp looked brand new and played like a charm, after an Easter service it wouldn't turn on.  I took it into the shop, was told it wouldn't be under warranty due to the used purchase and the back order on the transformer was 3 months.  I just got it back and $300 later it plays fine again but now I am nervous if it is going to go out again.  The serial on it is (21)A881S6034000123  Does anyone know if that falls within the numbers that failed.  I am just curious if Line6 would cover this recalled part?

Funny thing was, when I went back into the shop to pick up the amp I couldn't remember the make and model of the amp for them to identify it because I told them, they have owned it longer than I have!   :) 

Any info would be great.  Thanks!

Doesn't Line6 cover this repair, even if it is bought used, if the user pays for shipping? 

Just want it to be clear if someone else reads these posts and has the same problem.

TSR 059, as it's been explained to me, has to do with a bad fuse that allows over-current which then kills transformers.  Only Line 6 can tell you if your amp is in that series.  They have in fact stood behind amps that were out of warranty, although that may only apply in special circumstances (I can't say for certain on this).  Being that your amp's been fixed already, it may be a moot point but worth checking into.  Also, you should get a full breakdown of what they fixed (i.e. did they replace the culprit fuse?), and your repair center should satisfy you as to questions of future reliability.  

One other key point is that the Line 6 warranty is transferrable if sold used by private parties.  If you have (or can obtain) the original receipt, and no dealer sold it as "used," you can get warranty service for 1 year from the original sale date.