Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Asio Crash

I hope I'm in the right section and that my title is actually correct.

I've been using UX1 for around a year or so and it's been doing it's job pretty ok. The problem that I've started encountering I will try to describe as best as I can.

To start of, I'm using Windows 8.1 and Cubase 5.

When I record a song I use the smallest buffer size, because of latency, and when I finish it and when I mix it I use the biggest one, because if I don't, if I leave it on the smallest one, I get the stuttering sound, and changing buffer size to maximum fixes that.

The problem that I have is, that if I load up a bigger number of vst plugins, not always, but in many cases, I think, and I will explain why, my Asio codec from my sound card crashes and I have to restart PC to make it work again.

That's the reason why I called the topic Asio crash and also if I again open Cubase and try selecting my UX1 as Asio driver (before restarting) I get a message "Asio driver open failure" and as I've mentioned I have to restart PC to get it to work again.

I have checked every component of my PC and also had this problem on Windows 7 with old hard drive, I recently switched to 8.1 and I have new HDD, my RAM memory is checked and fine, CPU, same, MB, same.

I've tried a bit to use Asio Generic Low Driver (don't know exact name) and I didn't have this problem happening.

So is there something that I am doing wrong and is there some way of fixing this, cause it's driving me crazy, because when I bought the card, people here told me that I would be losing a lot if I used some other Asio driver, so would like to try to solve this problem out, if possible.

• 2 weeks later...

you didn't say what sound card or driver you are using.  When you record, what ASIO are you using?  The Line 6 UX1 driver?  Or the soundcard driver?  You say the RAM checks good but how much do you have?  You should not have to go to the biggest buffer size, just big enough to avoid stuttering.  The more VST's you use the bigger the CPU load will be so you need lots of RAM and a good CPU.  When you say generic ASIO, is it ASO4ALL?  That is usually a safe driver if you are not actually using the UX1 hardware.