Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New to pod 500x or hd pro, recording questions

Dave702

Hi

So I am about to purchase a line 6 pod 500x or maybe a hd pod pro x, don't know yet but it will be one of the two, after I get help from this forum on some questions I have.

My need for either of these units right now is just for recording, I have a nice mesa rig I use live and I love my amp, but who knows maybe I'll use it sometime for live gigs. As for now I want to just record with it.

My recording rig right now is a MAC using Logic Pro x with a m audio profilre 610 interface.

I have been micing my amps to record wich is becoming a pain in the lollipop due to always trying to get a better sound and not to mention having to stop because family needs to sleep, I could play till the wee hours of the morning when I need to record something, and it sucks when I cant.

So I have 2 questions. First I need to the best sound possible and both 500x and hd prox seem to be very similar in that regard. Wich one and why?

Second question is about connecting it to my Mac. I use a audio interface that has two xlr inputs, two line inputs, midi in and out, and s/pdif.

I know I could use both line 6 units usb into my MAC, but what if I wanted to use my audio interface, do I use unbalanced out into line input or do I use balanced out into mic input? Also the 2 mic inputs of my interface are actually mic/inst input that alow me to plug a 1/4 cable or xlr cable. It's a M audio profire 610 if any of you are familiar with that interface.

I want to use the interface so I can keep my mic ready for vocals while I record guitar.

What's best unbalanced to interface or balanced to interface or s/pdif, will I get any quality loss? And for what's the best, why?

Thank you for putting up with my long question.

i would get the pro for recording... that's how i use mine.

and i would use your interface with a pair of xlr's and the SPDIF

because you can have the spdif sending the dry signal for use with plugins after the fact....

this workflow is really useful when you want to change things up after the fact without really re-performing the track.

you could leave it all plugged up and plug a mic in the pod when needed (you can simply record the spdif input to get the dry mic, or add pod affects if you wanted)

you can also have the usb connected to the pod and use edit etc.

i use very nearly the same setup and DAW.

http://line6.com/support/topic/11831-hd-x-pro-instead-of-hd500/ 

For me, it boils down to: 

What are you looking for? 

I wanted a live rig. So I got the floor unit. And that is the only thing I use. 

You can see, if that is all I use, why a rack unit would be odd. One little 2 space rack sitting on the floor behind me at the back of the stage... and I'd still need a foot controller at the front. 

It also varies on what else you are using. A 12 space rack makes sense to keep rack stuff organized vs 10 racks and a floor unit that needs fed into the chain somewhere. 

And you want studio stuff. Which, I'd probably go for a rack. But you want some live work with it too... 

I like the HD500X as a live unit, either as-is or into a computer. But you might like S-Gear for recording. See www.scuffhamamps.com. I have this setup with Logic Pro X or MainStage using the HD500X as an audio/MIDI interface, and provide a nice selection of front of the amp effects into S-Gear. Its a nice combination that allows the HD500X to be used by itself for simpler, no-computer live settings.

I've also learned a lot from looking at how Mike Scuffham designs his digital amplifers, and how this translates to Bias on an iPad and the HD500X. Basically he appears to be revoicing the amps for increased gain, reducing bass a lot to clean up the mud, and reducing the high end to avoid fizz and ice picks. This can be done quite nicely by putting the Mid Focus EQ, or Vintage Pre just before the amp block in the HD500. Then use the high and low pass filters to adjust the voicing as desired, and control the gain into the amp front end. This works great to add more gain to the blackface and bassman Fender amps.

i would get the pro for recording... that's how i use mine.

and i would use your interface with a pair of xlr's and the SPDIF

because you can have the spdif sending the dry signal for use with plugins after the fact....

this workflow is really useful when you want to change things up after the fact without really re-performing the track.

you could leave it all plugged up and plug a mic in the pod when needed (you can simply record the spdif input to get the dry mic, or add pod affects if you wanted)

you can also have the usb connected to the pod and use edit etc.

i use very nearly the same setup and DAW.

thank you for your help 

i was leaning more to the hd prox, i will be ordering the hd pro from sweetwater.

so when i get it, i will read over the manual.

my recording set up now is very simple i've been using a mesa boogie mini rec wich i love by the way, and micing a 212 cab. but for recording i want to step it up and have more options available, the pro x seems perfect.

I'm a guitar player and i can run my current set up and DAW but im a total noob to the new recording hardware out now. from what ive read the pro x can have to amp models at the same time, so does that mean with the interface i have now (profire 610) i should go from the left and right balanced out into inputs 1 and 2 of my interface xlr inputs or from the balaned outs into my two line inputs, would that let my record in stereo?

and do i have the spdif connected at the same time? does the pro x alow my to play through my track recording with what ever model i want that sounds best at the time and after ive finished my take playback is dry? that would be so cool!!!  no more "it doesnt sound right do another take".

i really apreciate your replies guys, 

just talk to me like i dont know anything cause i dont feel free to tell me what cables go where according to what i already have  and ill learn from there.lol

if you have both the xlr's and the spdif connected you can record both at the same time... so you  have dry (i'd mute this) and wet.. that way you can use it 100% as performed or re-amp it after the fact.

yes you'll hear everything since it would still be your current interface in this scenario, whatever it does now will continue to be true.

if you have both the xlr's and the spdif connected you can record both at the same time... so you  have dry (i'd mute this) and wet.. that way you can use it 100% as performed or re-amp it after the fact.

yes you'll hear everything since it would still be your current interface in this scenario, whatever it does now will continue to be true.

thank you very much. That was very helpful