Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Who's had their JTV-69 neck replaced under warranty?

I've got a JTV-69 and have the problem with the high 'E' falling off the edge of the fretboard, like when pulling off from the second fret to open string.  Obviously this guitar has a very thin neck which is made worse by what looks like too much bevel on the edge of the frets.  I've read some postings here that state this was a manufacturing problem at one time. Based on the serial number, it looks like mine was manufactured years ago despite being sold to me late last year.  I spoke to Line 6 about the problem and they say I'd have to take it to a service center.  I called the closest one to me and the guy hadn't heard of the problem and said the guitar would have to be brought in for evaluation which could take several weeks before they get around to it.  He also stated he's seen other guitars like this and blamed the player's technique.  So I'm not exactly filled with hope for a positive outcome nor do I look forward to putting my guitar in the hands of someone who might be a butcher when I'm fully capable of swapping necks myself.  So, my question for the community is, has anyone else who's had this problem gone this route and gotten a replacement neck from a Service Center and did the new neck solve the problem?  Thanks!

"Authorized service centers" are mostly a joke. Telling you that they've never heard of the problem is the official first line of defense. This is universal and has nothing to do with L6, per se. Just went thru the exact same thing getting an L2T serviced, but I digress.

You might not be anxious to spend any more money, but just bite the bullet and throw a Strat replacement neck on it. The stock neck is a baseball bat anyway.

No, but you may have to drill holes IN the neck.  The JTV-69 does not have a strat-standard bolt layout.  Have a guitar tech do it if you're queasy about that. 

FYI: I'm sure Warmoth necks are worth every penny you pay for them, but I couldn't personally rationalize the investment.  I ended up buying a Mighty-Mite with rosewood fingerboard and compound radius.  It's worked out well. 

I'm curious: Does Warmoth true their necks on CNC machinery, or would they still require a Plek to get that last bit of flatness?

No, but you may have to drill holes IN the neck. The JTV-69 does not have a strat-standard bolt layout. Have a guitar tech do it if you're queasy about that.

FYI: I'm sure Warmoth necks are worth every penny you pay for them, but I couldn't personally rationalize the investment. I ended up buying a Mighty-Mite with rosewood fingerboard and compound radius. It's worked out well.

I'm curious: Does Warmoth true their necks on CNC machinery, or would they still require a Plek to get that last bit of flatness?

No idea what equipment Warmoth uses, but I can tell you that they' re not all as expensive as you think. There are plenty to choose from in the $200 neighborhood. Just gotta choose from what they have in stock. Cheaper than having them build one from scratch.

I've thought about going the Warmoth route but it's $300+ that I'd really rather not spend right now on a guitar I've already paid a lot for.  Line 6 really should fix the problem.  If I'd had half a brain I'd have returned it right away, it's got an on/off switch that doesn't work right now too. The Line 6 neck is not great but I think I could get used to it were it not for the high 'E' falling off the fretboard.  One thing I've noticed regarding Strat vs. Line 6 neck is the shape of the back of the neck where the body meets the neck is different and it looks like a Strat neck on the JTV would be too squared off for playing at the higher frets.  Has this been a problem for anyone who's put a Strat neck on a JTV?  Still interested in hearing from anyone who has gone the warranty route!

I've thought about going the Warmoth route but it's $300+ that I'd really rather not spend right now on a guitar I've already paid a lot for.  Line 6 really should fix the problem.  If I'd had half a brain I'd have returned it right away, it's got an on/off switch that doesn't work right now too. The Line 6 neck is not great but I think I could get used to it were it not for the high 'E' falling off the fretboard.  One thing I've noticed regarding Strat vs. Line 6 neck is the shape of the back of the neck where the body meets the neck is different and it looks like a Strat neck on the JTV would be too squared off for playing at the higher frets.  Has this been a problem for anyone who's put a Strat neck on a JTV?  Still interested in hearing from anyone who has gone the warranty route!

I have no affiliation with Warmoth whatsoever...just a happy customer, but there is this pervasive myth that one has to spend more than $300 for one of their necks. Now you certainly can spend that much if you're so inclined. And I've seen some that are pushing $1K for some of the exotic woods they offer. However, there a always a multitude of things to choose from that are $200+, and I've even seen some that they drop below $200 if they've been sitting around a while. There are always dozens of "in stock" necks to choose from, and the search feature lets you filter by any and every spec they offer, so you can search for exactly what you want.  They only start to get really expensive if you're adding the fancier woods, nuts, and inlays, or stainless frets (which are magnificent for anyone who hasn't tried them).

I have not noticed any issues with the neck joint. The "squared off" heel that you referred to doesn't really protrude past the body at all. Higher fret access is actually more restricted on my actual Strat, because Fender doesn't the contour the body at the neck joint like the Variax does. The neck itself really ins't the issue at all, it's the guitar body.

A few days ago I changed the neck of my JTV-69S by a neck of a Fender American Special.

The guitar has improved 100%

It has a bit of work but it is easy to do

Here some photos of the two necks, the differences are in the curvature of the heel and the anchor points of the screws

1_zps716d1fb6.jpg

2_zpsd8ab9443.jpg

3_zpsb67769bf.jpg

4_zpscee4c36d.jpg

5_zpscca19058.jpg

The first is to close holes in the fender neck

6_zpsa04de82e.jpg

7_zpseac3cbaf.jpg

8_zps6175eed5.jpg

(to be continued)

(Here)

Then you have to file the Fender neck curvature to the frets are at the same height as the original

9_zps10414e9d.jpg

10_zpsf430c30f.jpg

11_zps4777b47b.jpg

12_zps70a3bf03.jpg

After verifying the distance put the neck on the body and put the 1st and 6th strings to align correctly

13_zpsf4483130.jpg

14_zps48173fd0.jpg

We hold firmly to the body and neck make the holes with appropriate depth.

15_zps0a98c71f.jpg

Keep in mind that the front screws are shorter than the rear screws

16_zps43f400b0.jpg

We put the screws and completed work

This is how it has been finally

17_zps88b60fba.jpg

18_zpsd8ee238c.jpg

Now if I love my JTV

this mod obviously is off-warranty

• Upvote 1

The neck is your interface to the guitar.  If you do not like the neck, replace it with one you like.  It's worth every penny to have the guitar the way you want it.

I will if I end up hating the neck. 

Anyone know any good Tele headstock maple necks? 

I will if I end up hating the neck.

Anyone know any good Tele headstock maple necks?

Don't think the Tele heel joints are the same specs as a Strat. May or may not be possible to shoehorn one in there. Aside from the position of the bolts, anything that fits a Strat is a drop-in replacement.

• Upvote 1