Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD500 switching on/off footswitch or abcd mode?

JFrankParnell

I see in the manual, how to switch, using the utility page.

But, lets say I put fx on fs 5-8 on patch a, how do I get fs8 instead of patch d? 

If you're in ABCD mode, you can't. You have to be in FS5-8 mode to access those switches to turn effects on and off. The idea is if you're in ABCD mode, you'll only use the top four switches to control effects.

You use the up/down footswitches that change banks if you're in ABCD mode. When in FS5-8 mode they move you to the previous/next preset rather than bank.

Sorry to contradict you, but, actually when you hit the bank switches, a pop-up comes up showing you the presets in the current bank. If you hit the bank up or bank down switch again, you scroll through the banks not the presets. To get into a preset, you then hit the switch for the preset you want.

The long and short of it is that if you want to change presets within a bank, it takes an additional step in FS5-8 mode compared to ABCD mode.

So, it sounds like if youre in fs mode, to change patch, you hit
bank up/down->patch a-d

and then youre back in fs mode, again?  In other words, it takes at least 2 taps to switch patches, in fs mode?

I am switching from Vox Tonelab LE, doing a bunch of research on HD500.  You know, basically convincing myself that i need to spend the $$$ ;)

If you're set to FS5-FS8 mode, you can think of the bank switches and the Looper switch as "shift" switches to temporarily change the functions of FS1-FS8. I use this mode all the time as I don't change patches in a song that often, and two presses isn't that much more difficult than one. The bank switches change the FS5-FS8 mode to ABCD patch selection until you change the patch, then they revert back to controlling effects (or MIDI devices). The Looper switch also changes the MIDI CC messages sent be each footswitch so you can use them for different purposes.

This way I also get 16 footswitches into Apple MainStage, treating the Looper switch as a mode shift switch. I have to turn the looper playback all the way down - I can't seem to find a way to turn the Looper off in a patch - although the manual and view display seem to indicate FS4 does this - but it doesn't seem to do anything but control the effects block.