Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

brand new JTV-89's -> issues

Thanks for  the responses.

Monkey sees it just as "Tyler Variax" - doesnt specify which model.

When I try to flash it I get :

"Tyler Variax update failed"

(Code 80009000) Unknown MIDI error.

I'll get some screen shots together and raise a ticket with Line6 - really reluctant to return.

Feels great, perfect finish/set-up - sounds great on its own without the modelling stuff.

Will update this what Line6 say,

Thanks for  the responses.

Monkey sees it just as "Tyler Variax" - doesnt specify which model.

When I try to flash it I get :

"Tyler Variax update failed"

(Code 80009000) Unknown MIDI error.

I'll get some screen shots together and raise a ticket with Line6 - really reluctant to return.

Feels great, perfect finish/set-up - sounds great on its own without the modelling stuff.

Will update this what Line6 say,

Are you using the usb hub, or through an hd 500/500x?  I did have that fail message 2 times in the past...a reboot of all units (hd 500 and computer) and it went smooth

A JTV-89F here with almost the same problems. In monkey I can't flash it (tried dozens of times with the same error message). In Workbench HD rescanning multiple times in a row gives about 60% "None", 30% "JTV-59" and 10% "JTV-89F", Saving presets doesn't work at all. Timeouts/errors.

Really frustrating because I have been troubleshooting for hours and hours and tried it on 3 different (Win 7 x64) computers.

Not sure if it's the USB interface or the guitar...

I'm aftraid I have to return it.... (which hurts because I really like the guitar and the sounds but I really want to use the Workbench).

This may seem a stupid question but are you using the vdi cable interface only?  I don't know if the guitar powers up fully using a vdi and the USB interface to computer, while if you did run the vdi through an HD500 or 500X it would power the guitar up.  If you are using a vdi cable with the USB interface try plugging in a quarter inch cable to force the battery to power the guitar.  I have an 89F and I love it.

Thanks. No question is stupid at the moment. I'm almost ready for shipping it back so every bit of help is appreciated.

My setup is as follows:

- Battery fully charged

- Quarter inch cable plugged in (without it, it doesn't work at all in this setup; the red LED on the interface starts flashing in that case)

- VDI cable from guitar to USB interface (also tried another (standard) ethernet cable)

- USB interface plugged in PC (tried 3 different PC's (all Win 7 x64) to rule out problems such as USB3 vs. USB2 or other problems).

- Guitar switched on, volume up

- Troubleshooting mainly consists of plugging in and out, rescanning in Workbench, rebooting, reinstalling software, etc. tried everything (I think).

One of the 3 computers doesn't even detect the guitar (red LED keeps flashing, no matter what). The other PC's do detect the guitar but with a very unstable connection (to say the least) and no chance of flashing or using the Workbench (only errors/timeouts).

That's about it. I love the guitar but I'm unwilling to keep it without the Workbench or ability to upgrade the firmware. Besides the fact I will miss a great deal of experimenting I don't trust the current guitar (although the problem could well be the USB interface only). I wish I had a POD...

I COULD order a pocket POD just to try it for troubleshooting.

Will the pocket POD function as a replacement for the USB adapter??!!

Will the pocket POD function as a replacement for the USB adapter??!!

No.

Just throwing this out there, with Monkey, you can select the interface or the JTV.

Make sure you have the drivers installed for the interface before trying to flash the JTV.

Thanks again.

Everything installed, drivers, up-to-date monkey, all plugged in, etc. etc. Tried everything (see screenhots in my other posts). No results. At all.

I made an appointment. Within 16 hours I expect someone at my door to swap the guitar for another one (JTV-89F).

I'll keep you guys informed. If the next one doesn't work as expected I'm gonna explode :P

• 3 weeks later...

Update on this - I'm exchanging it.

I finally gave up trying to get it to work (I tried a MAC, also 2 different W7 laptpops and a W8 desktop).

The good folks at MusiciansFriend are exchanging it. Should get a replacement next week.

• 3 years later...

If it's coming up as a 59 in Workbench, then it's a programming issue in the board.

Try using original Workbench, the 89 wasn't meant for HD, the 89F is. Use original

Workbench. If that doesn't fix it,....

Not something you can fix yourself.

1) send it back,  2) take it to a Line6 authorized service center, 3) log a ticket with

Customer Support to have it sent to me.

At that point,... either a board swap out or I re-program it. It's a part of the program that

is not user accessible. Afraid that re-Flash won't help in that case.