Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD HD v2.6 FIRMWARE

krystianos

Chances are they will release Tuesday. Like movies or video games. Monday to polish and prep. That way they have the rest of the week to deal with customer issues. That's my guess.

Just read an article the other day...the industry is changing the day when everything drops from Tuesday to Friday. Don't remember when it's supposed to officially start. I have no idea if the whole Tuesday thing applied to software releases anyway...albums, DVDs, video games, yes.

Tuesday never made any sense to me anyway. If you want people's money, hit them on payday.

• Upvote 1

Chances are they will release Tuesday. Like movies or video games. Monday to polish and prep. That way they have the rest of the week to deal with customer issues. That's my guess.

I like your thinking! And Tuesday is the last day of March; so that works.. Here's to hoping!

Hopefully in the next incarnation of the POD Line 6 will quit fooling around with all this DSP limit junk and do what Cliff at Fractal did and put in 2 processor chips. The price of DSP chips has gone thru the floor, witness IBM getting out of the business as there isn't much profit in it anymore . The DSP limit was why I got rid of my Pod HD 500. Nice sounding amps but the unit was gimped with a weak chip. I did buy a Pod HD 500x recently and the 20% extra DSP is nice, but paying another 100% cost of the unit does not engender a warm feeling in my heart.

Also, I'm wondering why Line 6 can't go back and redo some of the old Vetta amp models they are trotting out now and make them HD as well . . I did love the Budda Zen Drive on the Vetta.

Come on guys . . . please try to take the frustration out of my Line 6 relationship.

As far as the firmware goes . . I'd rather they get it right even if it takes a few extra weeks. I'd rather have it work properly than feel cheated by a false promise.

So, brew some more coffee Line 6 and hunker down. You guys are our Santa's elves.

i have no idea what you guys are doing... the DSP limit is something i rarely run into and i can generally manage it... work around it whatever....

you can never get rid of it... there will always be a limit...even with dual chips... and of course there will always be someone to complain about it.

i'd say you'll find more people willing to live with the DSP limit as it is.... than you'd find people willing to pay significantly more for extra DSP that they will rarely utilize.

sure more DSP would be great!

but at some point you have to assess the value and the consumers desire to pay....

i'm certain that Line6 has stuff in the works... i'm equally certain that it's not going to be free!

i believe the quote was "year of the guitarist".... so we can determine that winter NAMM was not a full reveal.

i have no idea what you guys are doing... the DSP limit is something i rarely run into and i can generally manage it... work around it whatever....

you can never get rid of it... there will always be a limit...even with dual chips... and of course there will always be someone to complain about it.

i'd say you'll find more people willing to live with the DSP limit as it is.... than you'd find people willing to pay significantly more for extra DSP that they will rarely utilize.

sure more DSP would be great!

but at some point you have to assess the value and the consumers desire to pay....

i'm certain that Line6 has stuff in the works... i'm equally certain that it's not going to be free!

i believe the quote was "year of the guitarist".... so we can determine that winter NAMM was not a full reveal.

Musikmeese is just around the corner. If they have a POD HD PRO "X3" and it delivers the goods I'd be the first to relegate my HD Pro to backup status or stick it in my recording-only rack.

i have no idea what you guys are doing... the DSP limit is something i rarely run into 

I've seen people trying to set up patches so that they will only use one patch their whole life. 

They set up to turn the fx on and off as needed, instead of creating separate patches. 

Now, of course, not everyone does that, but that is why a lot of people run out of DSP. 

While it is a global EQ, would be nice to save the settings on a patch by patch basis. Just because it's global doesn't mean patches can't apply the values to the EQ variables.

EQ is going to help clean up your tone. Sometimes while I think the HD sounds great, it doesn't always cut through the best and I'm not the biggest fan of their EQ effect options. I have to use like 2 or 3 of them just to shape up the tone right.

Any news on when the Firmware is coming now?

• Upvote 1

While it is a global EQ, would be nice to save the settings on a patch by patch basis. Just because it's global doesn't mean patches can't apply the values to the EQ variables.

We already have eq's that can be set for each patch. 

Hopefully in the next incarnation of the POD Line 6 will quit fooling around with all this DSP limit junk and do what Cliff at Fractal did and put in 2 processor chips.

That's not how dynamic DSP works. The only way to remove DSP limits is to artificially restrict what and where you can assign specific models. So yeah, if POD HD limited you to one amp/cab, one reverb, one delay, one mod, one distortion, one eq, one compressor—AND crippled the sound quality of DSP-intensive effects models so they'd fit within a predetermined percentage, it would appear to you there's no DSP limit! Yay!

Everyone approaches DSP allocation differently, and we've chosen (and will continue to choose, at least with our flagship modelers) to let people add whatever they want until they run out, which means it's on you to be smart about assignment. With great power comes great responsibility, as they say.

But something like AMPLIFi or Firehawk FX, where ease-of-use trumps ultra-deep flexibility? Yeah, we artificially limit how many of each type of effect you can add. Just like Kemper, Amplifire, GT-10, GSP1101, and G-System. AxeFX's DSP allocation is somewhere between those and POD HD; it lets you add two of most types of models. And people can still hit the wall pretty easily.

• Upvote 1

Yeah? Did you read the part where I don't really like them though? The Global EQ seems more well designed. EQ bands with low and high cut.

You haven't used it. You haven't talked to anyone that has used it. There are no video demonstrations of it. 

How exactly do you know that it is 'more well designed'?

pianoguyy

"I've seen people trying to set up patches so that they will only use one patch their whole life. 

They set up to turn the fx on and off as needed, instead of creating separate patches. 

Now, of course, not everyone does that, but that is why a lot of people run out of DSP. "

This is exactly how I personally approach my chains, and have done so for over a decade. I would happily forfeit

my 512 patch memory allocations to maintain this system, but unfortunately that wouldn't change the DSP limit

issues, as my chain demands won't change, so I'm forced to supplement the POD HD with extra equipment. 

Creating another patch isn't a solution either, as the same limits apply, there's only a compromising solution.

Edit

Actually, I'd have to forfeit 511 allocations, I'd still need 1.   :D

A while back, I put up an Ideascale post that asks for this.

Since the new firmware will effectively, and partially, have a new fixed EQ block, which is a 3 band parametric with high and low filters, being able to save the values on a patch by patch basis would be like getting three more FX blocks per patch, because it would take three of the current parametric EQs to equal the one new fixed, or global, or whatever name might be better, EQ.

You haven't used it. You haven't talked to anyone that has used it. There are no video demonstrations of it. 

How exactly do you know that it is 'more well designed'?

Because 5 bands of EQ and a low and high cut filter in 1 EQ section is better than an a 2 band EQ effect that's not very adjustable is susceptible to clipping.

I am just curious here.... 

Are you guys doing patches on the unit or on EDIT? 

This is not the first time I have seen someone say they need to use up 3 blocks to do a low-mid-hi eq. 

Yet, I am sitting here on EDIT and seeing an amp with bass/mid/treb/pres and graphic eq with 80/220/440/1.1/2.2 

*This Master EQ thing means nothing to me anyhow. That is what the sound guy is for.

@ pianoguyy

I'd say the main reason people require multiple EQ's, is that the provided EQ's have a 6db roll-off, which gives

subtle change's to its centre frequency in comparison to an EQ with a roll-off of say 12db. A 6db roll-off also

has a greater effect on the neighbouring frequencies either side of centre-point, as a consequence, reducing

or increasing the amplitude of frequencies you would rather no change to. A 12db roll-off has less effect on

neighbouring frequencies, but more effect on its centre frequency in comparison to a 6db roll-off. High roll-offs

such as 12 - 24db can usually be obtained by a Parametric EQ if certain narrow frequencies need adjustment.

Personally, I require at-least both a Graphic, and Parametric EQ to deal with unwanted frequencies, its not

uncommon. A more ideal solution is a 30 band Graphic EQ with a 12db roll-off, and should be all you'd need

without stacking multiple EQ's together, but I doubt we'll ever get one of those, so stacking EQ's is inevitable.

My main issue with the EQ's aside from the common ones we all share, is the set frequency of the very

last band, I always felt they where too low. You might argue anything above 3Khz is useless for guitars,

but that's not the case for direct chains without an amp, they can implement the entire 20Hz to 20Khz

spectrum. Mic inputs on particular HD models could also benefit from a broader EQ band set, for vocal

or acoustic tasks. Also, one might want to express more EQ control over input sources when presented

with full spectrum audio, such as an iPod or music player device. It would make sense to at-least have

one EQ that covers the entire spectrum, especially when one thinks of the "HD" title, that's designed to

be interfaced with an FRFR speaker system with full-range capabilities, the lack of one perplexes me. :wacko:

Does anyone know what frequency each band is set at for the global EQ, or the very last band at-least ?

Edited.

My main issue with the EQ's aside from the common ones we all share, is the set frequency of the very

last band, I always felt they where too low. You might argue anything above 3Khz is useless for guitars,

but that's not the case for direct chains without an amp, they can implement the entire 20Hz to 20Khz

spectrum. Mic inputs on particular HD models could also benefit from a broader EQ band set. Does

anyone know what frequency each band is set at for the global EQ, or the very last band at-least ?

If the new 3-band parametric EQ is the same as the current parametric EQ, the last band, or freq at 100%, is 4500Hz. I do know the new EQ is in Hz and dB instead of percentages. So we will know soon I'm sure.

There is post on this forum somewhere (new or old, not sure), where someone (the name is on the tip of my tongue, damnit), made a bunch of graphs detailing all the EQs in the pod.

Found the forum post:

http://line6.com/support/topic/335-frequency-response-graphs-for-hd500-eqs/

Edited by duncann

man, this is ridiculous. Why do they need so long?

big announcement but nothing happens.

seems to be only an advertising promise

Yo, the wait is OVER!!! Firmware and Model Packs (in the L6 store website) are up as of this afternoon! (for the 500x and HD-X rack gear) :)

• Upvote 1

Had a quick run through the new guitar models (haven't tested bass yet) and have to say so far I'm very very happy. The Shiva in particular I've been looking forward to and early impressions are very good, even the peavy which is generally a brand/sound I don't always love is very very usable, they've managed to pack all the gain and size that people love about the 5150 but without the annoying peavy fizz that can cripple the sound. The new JCM 800 feels like an improvement and the other amp that is surprisingly big and warm with lots of gooey tubey gain in the champ.

The best part though was they came up great through my DT25, I've achieved great amp sounds pretty much instantly which wasn't ways the case with older models. One general peice of advice I'd give dream rig user is I have had better results on any crunch/lead patches when I set the amp to typology IV , which has a tamer high mid response but tighter bottom end.

Early days but first impressions very good.