Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JTV59 model and tuning lights aren't bright

My buddy came over with his 89 last night, and I noticed how bright his knob LEDs were when he'd change models and tunings. My LEDs light up, but they don't seem to illuminate the settings on the knobs at all. I just see a sort of "pointer dot" light at the base of the knob and no illumination inside. Any ideas?

It gives me no pleasure to say it, but all those knobs are cheap plastic crap. Given the staggering number of things that can go wrong with these guitars, and the knobs in particular (not engaging the modeling at all, caps falling off 4 seconds after the guitar is unboxed, etc)...if that's the worst thing that happens, I'd consider it a win...

Anyone have a picture of a 59 knob while it's off the guitar? Curious what the bottom looks like. I contacted L6 and they are going to send me new knobs, but I find it hard to believe that both would be defective. I'm leaning towards incorrect LED placement.

Anyone have a picture of a 59 knob while it's off the guitar? Curious what the bottom looks like. I contacted L6 and they are going to send me new knobs, but I find it hard to believe that both would be defective. I'm leaning towards incorrect LED placement. 

http://active-guitar.com/guitar-diy/fixing-a-faulty-variax-model-selector/

IMGP0627-600x398.jpg

IMGP0628-2-600x397.jpg

IMGP0622.jpg

• Upvote 1

Its a "Knob height" balancing act

Many  "stock" Tyler Variax's suffer from Modeling Knobs that are pressed on the pot at the factory with too much torque and sit "too low" for reliable DSP Modeling On/Off push -push switch function.

Witness the countless posts here that say:

"My Tyler Variax doesnt turn on!"

As a result many Tyler Variax owners resort to removing the Knob and inserting shim material on the end of the Pot shaft (see pic below) to "raise" the location where the knob sits on the pot shaft - but this also increases the Knob distance from the LED - resulting in a dimly lit  Modeling Knob LED 

IMGP0638-600x399.jpg    

http://active-guitar.com/guitar-diy/fixing-a-faulty-variax-model-selector/

Update: tried adjusting knobs, no change. It looks like the little plastic rod that focuses the LED light is melted or something. It's slightly brown on the end, and doesn't project very much light straight out the end. I probably need to sand and polish it.

I had the same issue, the knob was just made of black plastic.. Line 6 did not want to send a new knob since I m not living in the US, so I had to send the guitar back to the supplier for replacement.... Well the new one is better, it does illuminate somewhat. Some modelnames shine better than other. And there is still a lot of black plastic in the wrong parts of the knob. But I'll accept it.. With some difficulty because you suspect something else from a guitar in that pricerange.

By the way, I adjusted the height by inserting a little piece of matchstick, that worked fine for preventing the shaft of the swich going further in then required...

I had the same issue, the knob was just made of black plastic.. Line 6 did not want to send a new knob since I m not living in the US, so I had to send the guitar back to the supplier for replacement.... Well the new one is better, it does illuminate somewhat. Some modelnames shine better than other. And there is still a lot of black plastic in the wrong parts of the knob. But I'll accept it.. With some difficulty because you suspect something else from a guitar in that pricerange.

By the way, I adjusted the height by inserting a little piece of matchstick, that worked fine for preventing the shaft of the swich going further in then required...

Mine sits on the shaft fine, and it's a snug fit so I can move the knob up or down but it still doesn't light up. I turned the knob over towards a light and the words are visible, but not super bright.

Mine sits on the shaft fine, and it's a snug fit so I can move the knob up or down but it still doesn't light up. I turned the knob over towards a light and the words are visible, but not super bright.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: L6 sent me replacement knobs and no change. I had a feeling it had to do with the LED lights not aimed correctly. Now I'm torn: do I deal with having to pay shipping to have them fix a manufacturing defect and hope nothing worse happens, or do I just live with it? I don't trust local authorized L6 repair shops, as both have negative reviews all around, and shipping it to Cali on my own dime pisses me off when their stuff doesn't work. *groan*

Hey  -  I own a 2011 JTV-69, and a 2011 JTV-59

They sound different 

In your case (dimly lit knobs ) , I smell a BOM (Bill of Material) component value change.

on the plus side - your battery may last longer,  thanks to the dimer LEDs providing lower power current drain on your Variax  Battery  

I would bet that the LED isn't quite placed properly.  That might not be that hard to fix but you also could just live with it if you can tell which model / tuning is selected.  I don't have a 59 so I don't know how those knobs work.  I know that the ones on my 69S light up quite brightly.  The Alt tuning on mine only lights up when you move it.

I have a 89 that lights up very bright and visible when I am looking at it.   I just purchased a 69 during the winter sale and when I look down at my 69 the light are dim compared to my 89's guitar/tuning knobs.  My other guitarist has a 59 and the lights on that one are also dim compared to the 89.

I am not too sure but the 59 and 69 must have the same lighting components because compared to the 89 neither light up very well.

I have a 89 that lights up very bright and visible when I am looking at it. I just purchased a 69 during the winter sale and when I look down at my 69 the light are dim compared to my 89's guitar/tuning knobs. My other guitarist has a 59 and the lights on that one are also dim compared to the 89.

I am not too sure but the 59 and 69 must have the same lighting components because compared to the 89 neither light up very well.

My singer uses an 89 and his are super bright. That's what made me notice it in the first place. It's only 2 cables and plugs to replace. I wonder if L6 would just send me the pots.