Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Anyone using 09s or 08s on their JTV?

I have been restringing using the stock Dadario ,10s that came with my Variax. I would prefer to go to 9s or 8s as 10s are a little more work than I prefer. Couple of concerns,

I play slide with a standard setup, a little concerned I will lose some sustain and amplitude with 9s or 8s. As it is I feel the high E doesn't ring as loud as it should. Wondering if I can fix it via Workbench but then I would have to do every model?

I figure 8s will require a nut change but should be able to use existing nut with 9s

When I first got my Variax I went through a bit of a learning curve playing it as the high E kept sliding off the fretboard, Probably sloppy finger attack but lighter strings may start this up again.

So has anybody gone lighter with/without problems?

Also any reccomendations on strings for bluesy slide work?

Thanks,

Kevin

• Upvote 1

Well, I've run both on my 69, once I swapped out to a fender neck I settled on 10's - that neck just feels right with'em.  Didn't notice any particular issues with the 9's on the original neck.

Played slide on both gauges, no real issues other than expected - higher gauges certainly are a better choice, obviously.

Oh, and Ernie Ball guy here for the most part, tho I don't really care that much.  A piece of wire.....

I typically play 10's, but I tried 9's on my 59 based on Sean Halley's recommendation I saw on YouTube.  

I had a lot of trouble with them.  I wouldn't consider my touch to be real heavy, but the 9's, combined with the jumbo frets was giving me real problems with chords and power chords being in tune.  I guess I was pushing the lighter strings all the way to the fretboard, far enough to throw the chord just slightly sharp.  Switching back to 10's fixed the issue.

I suppose if you are used to the frets and have a lighter touch, your results may vary.  If you have been playing an Ibanez with thinner frets and a flat neck like I was, you may have the same problem. 

But hey, it costs you less than $10 to try them out for yourself, that's the best way you'll find out.

"jandrio" is right,... "restringing from the stock d'addario 10s requires setup".

Because, changing string gauges changes the tension on the neck, and when you change

the tension on the neck, the whole set-up changes (action, pick-up height and intonation).

Whenever you change gauge, get a new set-up done on it.

Factory strings are D'Addario XL-110's.

• Upvote 1