Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Trouble Replacing Knobs On Spider Valve

nozeldwarf

Hey guys! 

New to the forums.

I have one simple question. 

I just ordered a new set of knobs for the spider valve and noticed that the knobs braking are quite common.

My problem is that i can't seem to get the old broken knob to come off.

Anyone else out there with this problem?

Any help is much appreciated

Thank you,

Nick

Guest cgtrox

Welcome aboard Nick,

Yes, there was actually a batch of SV's that came out with "brittle" knobs and they would break off with a slight bump. If I remember correctly, Line 6 will provide you with a free set of new knobs if your unit falls into this "bad batch" of amps. The new knobs you ordered should be just fine, good luck.

As far as the broken one that is still on there, BE CAREFUL: THESE ARE NOT REGULAR POTS! They are attached directly to a circuit board and you WILL damage the amp if you pull or tug too hard on it. Hope this helps...

cgtrox B)   

if the knobs are like the knobs on the podxt, there is a metal spring clip inside that grasps the shaft shaped like a pair of small tweezers that are bent in at the tips and apply pressure against the shaft. the only way to remove them is to pry them off. to do this i took 2 small screwdrivers and placed them on either side of the knobs and applied even upward pressure but not before applying some electrical tape to the panel surface where the drivers would contact. also, it might be possible to crush the plastic with a small pair of vice grips. tightening only a small amount at a time. there is a vid of the removal procedure for the xt

• 3 months later...

Welcome aboard Nick,

Yes, there was actually a batch of SV's that came out with "brittle" knobs and they would break off with a slight bump. If I remember correctly, Line 6 will provide you with a free set of new knobs if your unit falls into this "bad batch" of amps. The new knobs you ordered should be just fine, good luck.

As far as the broken one that is still on there, BE CAREFUL: THESE ARE NOT REGULAR POTS! They are attached directly to a circuit board and you WILL damage the amp if you pull or tug too hard on it. Hope this helps...

cgtrox B)   

Who do I call to see about getting the free knob? Regular Line 6 customer service.