Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Line6 DT50 112 hum-noise problems

anto99

I've got this amp from a webstore, the sound is very good, maybe surprising good.....but I've experienced some problems I've described in this short clip.

http://youtu.be/0Izk6BCEHZE

1) hum on voicing III
I've found on the web some DT's has a lot of hum on voicing III, especially in classA and pentode mode, as mine....some other owners says this voicing is quit....someone suggest to change the stock tubes 

2) white noise in low volume mode at maximum level, especially in voicing III but also in I and II...why?

3) no sound in low volume mode until the volume pot came at 10 o'clock (I've read low volume level merge dsp at start and tubes at the end, why it starts at 1/3 of volume pot corse? is this normal?)

Is this normal or I have to return this amp to the webstore?

thanks in advance 

Knowing what I know now I would return it. Unfortunately the next one you get may have similar problems. You may have one of the amps that needs warranty work done. They had to fix mine and it sounds fantastic. Search my posts and read about my DT50 Head. Good Luck.

I recommend you call line 6 and do a support ticket.

thanks for the answer, so you'd experienced all this 3 problems?

I've just send a ticket to Line6 support

Personally, I don't think one has to have the same symptoms in order to have the same problem with this amp. I say this 'cause every user may experience, perceive and explain them just a bit different which can add some doubt into the mix.

This amp is a one of a kind amp. Very complex inside....there's alot going on inside that coconut, so to speak, lol.

You can speed read the thread I created when the issues started for me. "DT 50 Head just went silent any ideas why?"

I've got this amp from a webstore, the sound is very good, maybe surprising good.....but I've experienced some problems I've described in this short clip.

http://youtu.be/0Izk6BCEHZE

1) hum on voicing III

I've found on the web some DT's has a lot of hum on voicing III, especially in classA and pentode mode, as mine....some other owners says this voicing is quit....someone suggest to change the stock tubes 

2) white noise in low volume mode at maximum level, especially in voicing III but also in I and II...why?

3) no sound in low volume level until the volume pot came at 10 o'clock (I've read low volume level merge dsp at start and tubes at the end, why it starts at 1/3 of volume pot corse? is this normal?)

Is this normal or I have to return this amp to the webstore?

thanks in advance 

I bought mine used 10 days ago and it acts the same way.  Worst noise in voice III, and I get it with volumes all the way down and gain all the way down and no guitar cord even plugged in.  I have initiated a support ticket in as well.

• Upvote 1

I bought mine used 10 days ago and it acts the same way.  Worst noise in voice III, and I get it with volumes all the way down and gain all the way down and no guitar cord even plugged in.  I have initiated a support ticket in as well.

this means you have only problem 1)? or also 2) and 3)?

Personally, I don't think one has to have the same symptoms in order to have the same problem with this amp. I say this 'cause every user may experience, perceive and explain them just a bit different which can add some doubt into the mix.

This amp is a one of a kind amp. Very complex inside....there's alot going on inside that coconut, so to speak, lol.

You can speed read the thread I created when the issues started for me. "DT 50 Head just went silent any ideas why?"

damn....it seems a lot of people have problems with this amps...

The ones that don't have problems rarely post on the support forums.

true, I'd mean this seems a repeating problem,  probably only sporadically, not endemic, but still a repeating problem, that is, not a unique case...not common to every amp but common about the amp problems....

The ones that don't have problems rarely post on the support forums.

I think there are more people who don't use the forum than there are that use it. I think the ones that use the forum are just more social people and they are few and far bewtween. So that just leaves us who regularly read and post here.

this means you have only problem 1)? or also 2) and 3)?

in my mind your #1 and #2 are the same problem as what I reported, though I could be assuming too much.  from what i can tell, it doesn't make much difference which class or pentode settign you use, it's the voices ii & iii (and even iv to some extent) with the excessive white noise.  

for your problem #3 i have the same thing or very similar in low power mode with voice iv and maybe some other voices too, except i don't need to use a full 1/3 of the pot to get sound. i always use lpm, so i can't comment on the issue without lpm.  

one thing i did notice was that it was worse the 1st time i switched into the voice (and heard nothing but the faintest whisper), and after fiddling around, the next time i switched into that voice i could hear it. i don't consider mine to be a problem, being that computer modeling being integrated with traditional tube amplifier design is what's happening here.  i just move the dial.  yours may be more severe than mine, however.

• 3 weeks later...

I replaced the 12AX7s with JJNN003 ECC83S (tesla remake). It brought the noise down to a reasonable level. I didn't experience the miracle cure some people have when changing the tubes, but it helps. I recorded the white noise on the III voicing on my phone and you can see the difference with the EH tubes and the JJs. Its now almost as quite as my old AC30.

post-2155336-0-12756600-1425719211_thumb.png

I replaced the 12AX7s with JJNN003 ECC83S (tesla remake). It brought the noise down to a reasonable level. I didn't experience the miracle cure some people have when changing the tubes, but it helps. I recorded the white noise on the III voicing on my phone and you can see the difference with the EH tubes and the JJs. Its now almost as quite as my old AC30.

Great post!  Just looking at it, I'm guessing your noise got cut in half or better.  I'm hoping I get my amp back next week (miss it dearly), but whenever I do finally get my hands on it I think I'll give those tubes a try!

• Upvote 1