Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using a Pod and a Marshall for recording?

barks62

Hi all, I'm new to the Pod world (or, at least I will be in a few weeks), and I can't wait to dig into the Pod and see what it can do.  Right now I have a Marshall combo amp, and in a couple of weeks I'm buying a Pod HD500x to use as an effects board with the 4 cable method.  The bonus with the Pod is that I can use it for recording, and if my Marshall ever craps out on gig night, I can have the Pod set up to be a full backup rig going right into the PA.  With all that , the pod was a no brainer.

But none of that has anything to do with my question, lol.  My question is about recording.  Since I have a tube amp and will be running the Pod both before the amp and in the effects loop, I'm wondering if I can use a similar setup for recording.  Basically, I'm wondering if I can go Guitar->Pod->Marshall->FX loop send->Pod, then from there, add a Cab sim and go direct into my computer or interface for recording.  Would that hurt my amp if there is no return from the FX loop?  Would it be possible to get a decent sound that way?

My suggestion, but others may say different, would be to skip the Marshall altogether. 

Use the Pod and go straight to the PA or recording console. 

Especially since you spoke about having amp mods as a backup. Its not as simple as "let's add a simulator.'

You would need to alter every patch you have to add a cab and then tweak out the tone and hope that the DSP (like RAM on a PC) doesn't run out. 

pianoguy is right.  It's not going to be easy to just pop in a cab sim and start recording.  I'm old school with my Marshall and PODHD.  I put an SM57 mic in front of the cab and record it.  But any which way you do it will work fine.  Just gonn'a take some tweaking to get the sound you want.

If you skip the return to your Marshall, then you are missing the tubes in the power amp....You could certainly do that and put an IR on the tone and see what happens...

Always nice to get the rig direct when you can...I think I would put something like a Weber Mass Attenuator...It can be used as a dummy load also and get the tone of the rig direct...Keeps it simple...or just put a mic on the cab...

https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/mass.htm