Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How to save presets from the Edit program? hd500

JFrankParnell

If I make a preset, within the software, I get an astersisk * by the name.

Hit the 'selected' under 'send' at the top left.

As far as I can tell from the manual, this 'saves' the preset to the pod... but if you switch out then back to your preset, You'll be back at the old settings.  If I double click on the preset, in software, the preset will be correct in the pod again.  It seems like I now have to hit save on the actual pod to get it to save.

Am I not getting something?

Well, let's never dismiss that possibility ;)

You're very humble.

The way I look at tech is this, If I can figure out how use these devices and computers while dealing with all the bugs and quirks they dispense. I'm doing pretty good. Since it took millions of people to create them and their OS's, lol. Think about that for a minute, :)

"Million of People" = Ok so I may be off a little, Hahaaa, but it's still mind boggling.

Remember there's always the Manuals.

Carry On <> Rock On!

Edited by Brazzy

I'm aware of the other currently active thread on this topic and I'm curious about the behaviour but am not near my POD to test today.

I know the expected and intended behaviour is that the SEND from the Edit program should be sufficient; you should not also have to SAVE on the POD directly.

Can a few of you please try the following and report back?

- SEND the modified preset from the Edit program to the POD

- before doing anything else, shut down the Edit program and disconnect the usb cable

- now recall the Sent preset using the POD footswitches. What happens?

- repeat the above, but this time after disconnecting, switch to a different preset on the POD before recalling the Sent preset. What happens?

During all of this, make sure you do not touch ANYTHING on the POD while the Edit program is running.

My hope here is twofold:

- obtain a reliable recipe for a workaround to unexpected behaviour

- collect information to reliably reproduce a potential bug, and then report it to Line 6.

• Upvote 1

- before doing anything else, shut down the Edit program and disconnect the usb cable

- repeat the above, but this time after disconnecting, switch to a different preset on the POD before recalling the Sent preset. What happens?

During all of this, make sure you do not touch ANYTHING on the POD while the Edit program is running.

My hope here is twofold:

- collect information to reliably reproduce a potential bug, and then report it to Line 6.

My findings,

• The patch played as it was modified.

• When I switched presets the modified patch looked good on the pod's screen but played like a blank patch.

Result, I need to save it before changing the preset with a footswitch. Not a big deal but I do have to bend over to press the buttons which for me is painful, lol.

BTW: Thanks for the suggestions & help silverface!

Edited by Brazzy

I should mention that since the Pod is a "live sync", as I make changes I don't need to send it, all I do is save it on the Pod before I go to the next footswtich to create another.

Edited by Brazzy

First test:

Started with a blank patch, added a noise gate, sent to the device. Patch was fine after disconnecting and recalling.

Second test:

Modified decay to 60%, sent to device. Switched to different patch. Switched back to previous patch. Patch was as edited.

That makes it really difficult to characterize this as a software bug. It does not seem to be a straightforward situation of the code failing to properly SEND and store a modified preset in all cases. duncann's experience provides the counter-example.

Other complicating factors may be:

- complexity and/or nature of the modifications (e.g. there's only a problem with certain amps? FX? Parameters?). Awfully hard to diagnose.

- stability of usb connection during the SEND operation (intermittent device conflicts? maxed-out CPU doing other things like virus checking?)

- intermittent hardware failure (RAM issues?)

If we're lucky, Line 6 had prior knowledge of this from an earlier bug report and may have been able to track it down and fix it. If so, that fix might appear in the next release of the Edit program(s) that are likely to accompany the firmware v2.6 release.

Failing that I think the best anyone experiencing this issue can do is identify a specific workaround that works for you, and use that procedure consistently. (e.g. Brazzy's approach which, as I understand it, is not bothering with the SEND operation at all and using the SAVE command on the device exclusively).

• Upvote 1

Also, for me, Edit is very buggy.  Laggy controls, sometimes it freezes and needs to get killed, etc.

I would think that if the Edit Program is lagging something is consuming your computers resources or maybe the drivers didn't install quite right, I don't really know. Just throwing ideas out here. Mybe uninstall everthing and reinstall  it all.

You may want to read about optimizing your computer. Took me a while to understand the computer itself. Getting to know your computer is very important. It won't do it itself.

Check out Optimizing

Edited by Brazzy

Just my two cents.  I got in the habit of doing this procedure:

1) Edit my patch using the software

2) Save setlist as

3) Send to POD

4) Also hit save on POD just to be sure

Only lag I've experienced in the software is when trying to rename a patch.  It's sometimes difficult to get the current name to highlight so I can change it.

Only lag I've experienced in the software is when trying to rename a patch.  It's sometimes difficult to get the current name to highlight so I can change it.

I've done that procedure too with saving to the computer and then reopening it into edit and then sending and saving too. I just found it easier to do one at a time.

I've experienced the delay in being able to rename. What I found is I have to point my cursor to the far left side of the name and click just once on it and it's ready. If I don't click on, say the first letter, it doesn't respond.

Also, for me, Edit is very buggy.  Laggy controls, sometimes it freezes and needs to get killed, etc.

I've experienced the delay in being able to rename. What I found is I have to point my cursor to the far left side of the name and click just once on it and it's ready. If I don't click on, say the first letter, it doesn't respond.

Can't say I've ever had a problem with HD Edit lagging, but it does have some strange bugs. Sometimes the renaming is kind of funky, but I can click anywhere on the selected patch to rename it. It's sometimes just the timing of the click(s). Sometimes it takes more than one click, kind of a slow double click.

Laggy controls might suggest something wrong with the usb connection. Try a different usb port and/or cable if you have another one. What else is connected to any usb port? How do other applications behave on your computer? If you can, try the pod on an entirely different computer.

I'm aware of the other currently active thread on this topic and I'm curious about the behaviour but am not near my POD to test today.

I know the expected and intended behaviour is that the SEND from the Edit program should be sufficient; you should not also have to SAVE on the POD directly.

My hope here is twofold:

hi. i think the situation here is different because on both tests described above, the device has been disconnected. in my case (and i guess for the OP), the issue is with editing and switching while connected via USB. disconnecting the device from the PC seems to finalize the change and tells the POD to overwrite the stored patch with the new one.

- while connected to the PC edit a patch using the edit software. switch patches back and forth using the edit software (double click the patch or press enter), the sound is ok for the edited patch

- while connected to the PC edit a patch using the edit software. switch patches back and forth using the POD footswitch, the sound recalled for the edited one is the old patch stored on the POD

what works for me as i mentioned in another thread is

yes this happens to me too. it looks like even if you "send" it to the device, it only resides on a temporary location (not totally applied to the device) until you disconnect the USB or exit the edit software. what i normally do is this:

- edit/create a patch in hd500x edit

- press send in edit software when i'm finished

- on the hd500x unit, i also press the save button

if i do not press save in the device, i will get the same behavior as OP described.

.... i think the situation here is different because on both tests described above, the device has been disconnected. in my case (and i guess for the OP), the issue is with editing and switching while connected via USB. .....

Exactly. I made a point of saying that during this test you should avoid touching the device itself. That's because there is known to be a general problem with keeping the Edit program and the device in sync when both are being used to operate the device simultaneously. This manifests itself in many and random situations, not only in the SEND/SAVE presets case that is the subject of this thread. And I suspect that a lot of this has to do with the user's PC environment so different users experience this a great deal and others not at all.

What I was trying to do was investigate whether there is a particular bug in the Edit software that might have existed independent of the general loss of synchronicity bug. It's no surprise, nor a new bug, to find another situation like this one where problems are manifest when using both the Edit program and the device together. By removing this factor from the test we seem to have eliminated the existence of a new, specific bug. That was the goal.

Again,as a general rule, avoid touching the device when using the Edit program. If you want/need to use both together then you need to develop a workaround, as you have done, to minimize any impact of the loss of synchronicity that you may experience.

I edit patches all the time on the computer and then send them to the POD.  I've never had to hit 'save' on the POD while using this technique and my patches have never disappeared.

I do this too, and rarely encounter a problem. Sometimes (rarely), weird behavior ensues - mostly loss of sync - because a patch might require use of the exp pedal while the edit software is running.

DarrelM5 and duncann, that's been my experience too. That's why I believe loss of sync problems have more to do with the user's computer environment than buggy Edit software. Certainly makes it difficult for Line 6 to reproduce and resolve any software issues that might exist.

• Upvote 2

Certainly makes it difficult for Line 6 to reproduce and resolve any software issues that might exist.

Personally, I don't hink Line 6 needs to fix this. It works for me just fine. As long as I can figure a programs behaviour I can figure out how I need to use it. No problems here. Altrhough I'm all for improvement. 99% of the time I control everything directly from the Pod itself. I like the idea of knowing the Pod "itself better than a computer program.

It's always good to try to fix the details, sometimes it's just not worth it. I would say that if Line 6 made their own "special" computer for a particular line of audio devices they would be able to fix all the little details easier. The idea I have here is they would be in full control of the OS.

• 2 years later...
JFrankParnell, on 16 Feb 2015 - 5:57 PM, said:

If I make a preset, within the software, I get an astersisk * by the name.

Hit the 'selected' under 'send' at the top left.

As far as I can tell from the manual, this 'saves' the preset to the pod... but if you switch out then back to your preset, You'll be back at the old settings.  If I double click on the preset, in software, the preset will be correct in the pod again.  It seems like I now have to hit save on the actual pod to get it to save.

Am I not getting something?

Dude, I googled the question and it sent me here and voila! Been driving me nuts, thinking I had to hit "save" on the POD itself. BTW, if you click "all" it sends every change, every patch, every edit. Comes in handy when you download a bunch of new patches. Thanks for the 411 bro :)

I love my POD and my DT25 but the Edit program needs an overhaul. Not likely to get improvements given the time since last update and L6's focus on the Helix line.

- It is clunky

- Deleting patches is a pain

- Crashes

- Set things up and then mysteriously something else changes

- The text is a bear to read because of the colors and font sizes.

- No full screen support (if anyone knows how to do this on the mac please share)

• Upvote 1