Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax Top Shelf Pickup models: EMG, SD, DiMarzio, Bareknuckle

Sumatra_Gold

I'm wondering if Line 6 will consider doing pickup models for some of the more modern name brand pups. For example, EMG, Seymour Duncan, Dimarzio and Bareknuckles. They've done it with Everything else, so why not? I sure would love to throw a set of virtual Bareknuckle Juggernauts or EMG 81 & 85s into the Lester, et al on my JTV 89. That would be crazy awesome. How about it Line 6?

• Upvote 1

An EMG is a noiseless high output humbucker right? Well, the models are noiseless and couldn't you just boost the output and get the same thing or is there more unique tonal things going on? I always associate those style of pickups as metal guitar staples and I don't play much metal these days.

• Upvote 1

The EMG 81 & 85 is stable of metal music. I would agree some modern variants in the Variax would be nice.  . Not sure if you could put in EMG in it but you could put high output mags in it so you have a modern type of tone on the normal pickups. Of course doesn't that 89 already have high output pickup? But dont' see why you couldn't swap those to something else.

An EMG is a noiseless high output humbucker right? Well, the models are noiseless and couldn't you just boost the output and get the same thing or is there more unique tonal things going on? I always associate those style of pickups as metal guitar staples and I don't play much metal these days.

There's never enough gain, man!!! :P

I want pickups that are so hot, they could power a small city...then just melt after one tune... :lol:

• 1 month later...

For some reason I missed everyone's responses. But thanks for your input. First, I thought this was a forgone conclusion, but maybe not. I'll go ahead and state the obvious. Not all pickups are created equal. This is especially evident with pickups that are active and those that are passive. While the specs say that the stock JTV 89 pups are high output, they are not active and they are alnico ta boot, which is a far cry from a high output ceramic or even a hybrid ceramic and ferrous pup. So, yeah, I'd love to see name brand pups modeled just like the amps that line 6 models, in this case, the aggressive, modern rock and progressive metal types of pups. Also, putting a set of Bare Knuckle Juggernauts in my JTV isn't going to help me when I have to play in drop C, Drop D, and Drop B flat. That can only occur as a matter of practicality if they are modeled. Then it's just a couple of clicks and I'm not only drop tuned, but drop tuned with the same type of pup set up as my prog metal heroes, et al. Anyway, thanks for chiming in. It's too bad more people haven't weighed in on this. I guess it's not something that variax users, in general,  find useful. Too bad, because this is the next big thing and Line 6 could be on the cutting edge of that. But then if nobody gives a flip, maybe not:)