Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

2 X 12 Cabinet for Spider IV HD150

symplerhyme

I own a Spider IV HD150 and use it with a Line 6 4 x 12 Cabinet. I want to get a 2 x 12 cabinet for the HD150 and would like to know what specs I need to look for before buying one.

1) How many watts should it be (Min/Max)

2) What should the Ohms be?

3) I have 2 line out that plug into my current 4x12 line 6 cab. I see that most 2x12 I look at if not all only have 1 input. How would I use that with the HD150? Do I only plug 1 of the output lines into the new 2x12 cab and not use the other? If so which line do I plug into the new 2x12 cab?

If there is anything else I need to know please fill me in

Thanks

1) Enough to handle the amp's claimed output

2) Should match the load that the amp is expecting to see. If it says "4 ohms minimum load" then the cab needs to be at rated at least 4 ohms. You can go higher, but you'll lose power.

3) BOTH of those outputs are expecting to see a speaker load on the other end...if you only connect one and you push it hard enough, you will eventually blow the amp.

OK so the amp is a 150 watt so I guess the cabinet needs to be 150 watt. I read if the cabinet is a lot higher wattage than the amp then it could burn out the amp. How high can I go with cabinet wattage and it still be good? 150 watt minuimum whats maximum? BTW it says this about the amp in manual:  

"For the Spider IV HD150 and 150 Combo you can connect two 8 ohm speaker cabs for stereo output "

SPEAKER OUTS / CLASS 2 WIRING   RIGHT 8 OHMS LEFT 8 OHMS

So with this understanding I need to find a cabinet with min 150 watts with 2 inputs of 8 Ohms each, right?  Just need to know what the max wattage should be.

Thanks for your help

OK so the amp is a 150 watt so I guess the cabinet needs to be 150 watt. I read if the cabinet is a lot higher wattage than the amp then it could burn out the amp. How high can I go with cabinet wattage and it still be good? 150 watt minuimum whats maximum? BTW it says this about the amp in manual:

"For the Spider IV HD150 and 150 Combo you can connect two 8 ohm speaker cabs for stereo output "

SPEAKER OUTS / CLASS 2 WIRING RIGHT 8 OHMS LEFT 8 OHMS

So with this understanding I need to find a cabinet with min 150 watts with 2 inputs of 8 Ohms each, right? Just need to know what the max wattage should be.

Thanks for your help

150W minimum...generally advisable to go a bit over so you run less risk of pushing speakers too hard and blowing them. Maximum is really not a concern...you're not gonna find any 2x12's rated for 1000W anyway. The 4x12 Spider cab that L6 sells specifically for that amp is rated at 320W, and it's wired with stereo inputs, because that's how that head is designed to work. There's no bridged mono option, and if you try an run only one output, sooner or later you will destroy the amp.

Impedance rating is same thing. 8 ohms per side, minimum. You could run a pair of 16ohm cabs if you wanted to, you just won't get as loud.

Thanks appreciate your help.  Found a 2 X 12 cabinet with these specs. Does htis look of for the Spider IV HD150? Saw a picture of the back of the cab and it has 2 stereo inputs at 8 Ohms each. Looks like a perfect match but I also want to make sure the Watts on the cab are ok too. Not that much over the 150 watts of the head.

Tech Specs

Configuration

2 x 12"

Power Handling

160W

Impedance

8 ohms stereo, 4/16 ohm mono

Cabinet Type

Straight

Open/Closed Back

Closed

Construction Material

Multi-ply Hardwood

Mono/Stereo

Both

Thanks appreciate your help.  Found a 2 X 12 cabinet with these specs. Does htis look of for the Spider IV HD150? Saw a picture of the back of the cab and it has 2 stereo inputs at 8 Ohms each. Looks like a perfect match but I also want to make sure the Watts on the cab are ok too. Not that much over the 150 watts of the head.

Tech Specs

Configuration

2 x 12"

Power Handling

160W

Impedance

8 ohms stereo, 4/16 ohm mono

Cabinet Type

Straight

Open/Closed Back

Closed

Construction Material

Multi-ply Hardwood

Mono/Stereo

Both

It's probably OK...unless you plan on red-lining the amp on a regular basis. These are 150 solid state watts too...if it were a tube head, u might be pushing your luck.

• 10 months later...

Short answer: scavenge a couple Spider Valve 112s with good speakers and run it through 'em. Gets good and loud, but probably too small in the long run.

I have two Spider Valve 112s whose chassis bit the dust. Badly. Rather than scotch the entire thing, I ripped the chassis out and kept the speakers and cabs. I have a Spider IV 150 HD. I run into the two cabs and get lots of power. Both speakers are Celestion Vintage 30, 8 ohms, rated 60Wrms apiece. I haven't blown them up yet, but if I push them really hard, I think the cabs will implode. This is my "home" and "small" setup, where I don't need or want to be able to blow the back wall off my house. I use two Marshall MX412As for "real," they're 16 ohms mono/8 ohms stereo. I haven't noticed a lack of power at all. For the first time, I CAN be the loudest guy in the band, but I don't roll like that.