Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How to connect the VDI Cable (the one with round plugs!) to the USB Interface?

Hi,

EDIT: Jump to this reply for a picture of my standard VDI cable (some people are confused): http://line6.com/support/topic/12188-how-to-connect-the-vdi-cable-the-one-with-round-plugs-to-the-usb-interface/?p=84235

I ordered a VDI cable because I wanted a sturdy connection to my guitar (to prevent breaking the standard cable ethernet connection when plugged in the guitar). It's for home use only however and I don't connect it to a POD but to the USB Interface (black model).

So: the cable has TWO round plugs weheras my USB interface is not suitable for that kind of connection. I was expecting one round plug and the ethernet plug like connection on the VDI cable that comes with the guitar (at the other end).

So do I have to do THIS: https://www.jrrshop.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/600x600/34ade6d24047ca46d0c728fbf0c02bf7/l/i/line6variaxcable.jpg ?

Before I do that, I'd like to know for certain if (after stripping the plug), the ethernet connection will fit (and stay) in the USB Interface (will it "click-connect"?). The cable is rather expensive... (ofcourse I could use some duct tape to attach the stripped plug to the USB interface but then it's getting even more "ugly"...). Line 6 doesn't really deserve a prize for this design flaw...

It's not a design flaw; you bought the wrong cable. The VDI cable is intended to connect your Variax to a compatible Pod device (e.g. Pod HD500X). It is not intended to connect to the Workbench hardware interface.

Your JTV should have come with the right cable, with the shield at one end (to connect the JTV) and a standard unshielded RJ-45 connector at the other end (to connect to the hardware interface). If you do not have this cable you should contact whoever sold you the guitar and obtain it.

Hi,

I ordered a VDI cable because I wanted a sturdy connection to my guitar (to prevent breaking the standard cable ethernet connection when plugged in the guitar). It's for home use only however and I don't connect it to a POD but to the USB Interface (black model).

So: the cable has TWO round plugs weheras my USB interface is not suitable for that kind of connection. I was expecting one round plug and the ethernet plug like connection on the VDI cable that comes with the guitar (at the other end).

So do I have to do THIS: https://www.jrrshop.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/600x600/34ade6d24047ca46d0c728fbf0c02bf7/l/i/line6variaxcable.jpg ?

Before I do that, I'd like to know for certain if (after stripping the plug), the ethernet connection will fit (and stay) in the USB Interface (will it "click-connect"?). The cable is rather expensive... (ofcourse I could use some duct tape to attach the stripped plug to the USB interface but then it's getting even more "ugly"...). Line 6 doesn't really deserve a prize for this design flaw...

The VDI that came with the guitar is only indented for use with the USB interface and connecting to a computer for firmware updates, or editing in Workbench. True, it's not a robust connection, but it doesn't really need to be...it's not intended to be used under typical playing conditions.

If you're using the VDI interface, you should just use the cable that came with the guitar. One thing is that Line 6 actually explicitly says not to use the longer VDI cable when doing updates. It would probably be OK for use with Workbench, but as you've noted, the VDI interface doesn't support the erthercon end of the standard VDI cable. I'm a bit confused why you think a VDI cable with the ethercon plug removed would be any more robust than the cord that came with the guitar.

If you're using the VDI interface, you should just use the cable that came with the guitar. One thing is that Line 6 actually explicitly says not to use the longer VDI cable when doing updates. It would probably be OK for use with Workbench, but as you've noted, the VDI interface doesn't support the erthercon end of the standard VDI cable. I'm a bit confused why you think a VDI cable with the ethercon plug removed would be any more robust than the cord that came with the guitar.

I can understand you're confused. I was planning on connecting the round plug to the guitar (which is sturdy because the guitar is equipped with a port specifically made for it) and was expecting the other side of the cable to be flat and fitting that to the USB interface but because it has round plugs on both sides I planned to strip that side to fit in the USB interface. Hope I get myself clear now (I'm Dutch so expressing in English is not my forte). I think Line 6 did make a design flaw: they should have made the USB interface so that both the standard cable as well as the longer cable would fit (which is not a problem only somewhat more expensive).

BTW: I  do have the standard cable that came with the guitar but there are warnings all over the place not to use that one because if the plug breaks when connected to the guitar, you may have a problem (removing it from the guitar).

On the other hand: I didn't know the long cable was not suited for updates so thanks for the warning. I think I will stick with the standard cable then and return the VDI cable (just had it delivered but not unpacked). You know the problem is: every time I put my guitar on my stand I have to be really careful not to break the current ethernet connection (the cable is plugged in a lot because I'm experimenting with Workbench, not only that: Workbench is great to use when recording stuff and changing things on the fly).

Thanks anyway.

BTW: I  do have the standard cable that came with the guitar but there are warnings all over the place not to use that one because if the plug breaks when connected to the guitar, you have a problem.

Now I'm confused. The cable that comes with the guitar (the one you should be using) is not a standard ethernet cable. It DOES have the round shield at one end, to connect to the guitar. You should not be having the problem you describe when your guitar is on the stand.

No no. It has ethernet connections at BOTH sides! Now I understand the confusion... If it looked like you're describing I wouldn't have ordered the expensive cable in the first place... So yeah: it's plastic and it sucks.

I had two guitars BTW. First one had a faulty USB interface. They both came with this cable. The only difference with a standard Ethernet cable is that both sides have this extra large "clip" over the standard "clip" (the "clicking clip" :blink: ) in order to be able to unplug it somewhat easier but it still is not really easy and very prone to breakage. I can't find an image with Google so you have to believe me on my word...

I guess this is also a newer type of cable, just like the black USB interfaces but it's not exactly progress...

Found an image (Chinese website) of someone who seemed to have stripped one side of the longer cable to be able to connect it to the interface: http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/fuzzy56/imgs/7/0/70f4dc95.jpg

Bought them online at a very good store in The Netherlands (bax-shop.nl) with great service but I'm sure it's not their fault. Guitars were new, everything neatly packed. I really think it's just a newer type of cable but I don't like it. Still thinking of stripping my new cable...

In a pinch, you might be able to remove the shell from one end of your new cable to use it with the USB adapter.  Your guitar should have come with the proper cable that works with the USB adapter. 

That's exactly what I was about to do but I wasn't sure if it works... If it fails (I'm not very handy) it cost me € 38,- (about $ 45,-).

It did come with a cable suited for the adapter. It's just that the other end is the same (not round) so it is prone to breakage when plugged in the guitar. It's just a standard Ethernet cable with some extra large clips so you can plug it out somewhat easier than a normal ethernet cable (a normal cable sticks deep in the guitar plug so that's a lot harder to remove although it's safer in a way because it doesn't stick out like the current cable).

You know what? I'm gonna make a picture:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/189py0k1g8a2i2s/2015-02-19%2017.24.08.jpg?dl=0

So this is what it looks like on both sides and this is the cable that came equipped with two different 89F's...

Yeah, I wish I had that one!

Note: this is the old style interface. I have the new one (of which the first one was faulty...) so I wouldn't be surprised if the new guitars also come with the newer type of cable... It's cheaper bacuse it doesn't come with the round connector, so...

Actually I'm sure because Line 6 did change the ethernet plugs to be able to pull it out of the guitar (in my picture it's not really clear but it's the large black clip you can push. By pushing it, you also push the "normal" (standard) clip under it so the plug comes lose). The ethernet side on your cable is just a standard ethernet connection whereas mine is specifically made for the guitar (albeit a ridiculously bad design). I know it sounds weird but prove me wrong :rolleyes: I really can't imagine someone in the shop swapping all the cables in the Variax boxes...

Image of the clips I'm talking about (sideview): https://www.dropbox.com/s/nznm18z6ttqp4k9/2015-02-19%2017.50.05.jpg?dl=0

Well, it sucks, sorry... But thanks for helping and the picture!

P.S. Just found a shop where I can order a: http://www.neutrik.com/en/data/ethercon/ethercon-cable-connector-carrier/ne8mc so I can make my own cable with one round guitar connector from an ethernet cable.

You know, now that I think of it, I do think that the old VDI interface from the first generation Variax did just come with a standard ethernet cable. I imagine the fact that so many people had issues with the jack on the guitar breaking was what prompted to update the cable.

Thanks Phil but that means Line 6 has reverted to the cheap stuff because I have a brand new 89F...

After further review, it does appear that they have started shipping the interface with just a regular ethernet cable now (well, perhaps an ethernet with larger clips). All the warnings you mentioned reading above are correct. You have to be very careful with the connection into the guitar with a non-ethercon end.

If you own a POD with a VDI port, it kind of becomes a moot point because you could just use the actual VDI cable with the POD and not worry about the interface.

• Upvote 1

Ah, thanks for the confirmation.

I can order a Neutrik connector for € 3,05 (less than $ 4,- I think) so I'll return the expensive longer VDI cable and make myself one from the standard cable (just have to remove the extra clip from one of the sides to fit it in the Neutrik).

(Don't own a POD. That's exactly the point).