Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

The Ever Awful Quacking Piezo

I am having some quacking issues on my jtv89f.  Quacking may not be the right word but if a dig into my G string I get a distorted bark for lack of a better word,  I will try a reflash to see if this helps but any other ideas would be welcome.

I am having some quacking issues on my jtv89f.  Quacking may not be the right word but if a dig into my G string I get a distorted bark for lack of a better word,  I will try a reflash to see if this helps but any other ideas would be welcome.

Sounds like you may be clipping. Are you using the mags or model when this happens?

Only in the modeling, other strings do not do it.  If I play lightly it isn't an issue.  Also it happens all over the neck so it isn't fret buzz.

I've had a few strings that messed up when I strike the string too hard. Oddly it only applied on detuned strings.

I fixed the problem by lowering the string volume a bit. The output was clipping on my interface anyways when I punched down on chords, so it was a good idea.

I had the same issue, just lower your string volume in workbench, that 'll do it. I lowered the volume to 60%.

This is the correct way, however i'd like to state that adjusting string volume will adjust the volume before the piezo input is processed by the Variax.

Adjusting the volume level on the presets themselves is POST processing volume, AFTER if gets processed by the Variax.

I've noticed that if you have your volume way too low, things like the Sitar won't resonate properly. 

The sitar is emulated by detecting the attack of your strings, and if the string is too quiet, the resonating twang sound will be lesser.

Like solid said, around 60% is a good string volume. Mine is varied around 60% on each string.

Yeah I know im more of a blues rock player myself

+1  If anyone knows an approach for getting a reasonable "traditional" tube amp sound out of an HD500, I'm all ears.  Been fighting with it since last fall.  Maxed out high-gain "djent-y" tones seem to be the sole focus.  I'm able to get wonderful, clear rhythm sounds on their own presets and so-so mid-gain 70s rock tones on others.  What I'd really like is a single setting that lets me graduate between them using the volume on the guitar and pick attack.  Doesn't seem like a lot to ask, but has been totally elusive.

+1  If anyone knows an approach for getting a reasonable "traditional" tube amp sound out of an HD500, I'm all ears.  Been fighting with it since last fall.  Maxed out high-gain "djent-y" tones seem to be the sole focus.  I'm able to get wonderful, clear rhythm sounds on their own presets and so-so mid-gain 70s rock tones on others.  What I'd really like is a single setting that lets me graduate between them using the volume on the guitar and pick attack.  Doesn't seem like a lot to ask, but has been totally elusive.

The way that I have done it is I downloaded Lincoln brewsters patches and go in and see how he set all the eq's, compression, boosts

and any global settings and I apply those settings as a base line when I make a new patch and since I play a strat most of the time it seems to work. I mean I do have to tweak it but thats the easiest way iv found. It seems to me that the eq settings and the levels of your pedals has a lot to do with wither you get the tone your looking for.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update,  problem reversed, 1/4 inch sounds good, VDI clipped on A and G with new set of strings.  However after the strings worked in it stopped.  So possibly old G was getting corroded near the piezo.  But thank you all for the input.