Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Will digital modelling ever replace analogue.

NucleusX

Well, the girl in the Fiesta Red sweater was kinda cute.

Actually, that is a pretty cool device in my view.  I love that anyone with  desire can make music for themselves in a way that inspires them.  That kind of thinking is actually visionary.

Indeed.

It might make creating music more accessible to more people and has the possibility to steer someone's life choices towards music, which is a good thing. But in my view, music inspiration should come from within yourself by constantly engaging in self-discovery. Ultimately, isn't that what music is? An external expression of the uniqueness of a person's mind?

With devices like this, I can see a lot of that process being bypassed and good amount of the music created with it will just end up getting 'lost in the mix'.

I can see it as a good starting point though, to help a person determine if they're interested in music to begin with.

Edit:

Keep in mind, this is all from the perspective of a guitar player. There is something about wood, strings, and metal, and the interactions/feel of this instrument in the hands that contribute to inspiration. With devices like this, most of the physical interaction with an instrument is absent. There is really nothing there to literally feel as the music happens.

Edited by duncann

Indeed.

It might make creating music more accessible to more people and has the possibility to steer someone's life choices towards music, which is a good thing. But in my view, music inspiration should come from within yourself by constantly engaging in self-discovery. Ultimately, isn't that what music is? An external expression of the uniqueness of a person's mind?

With devices like this, I can see a lot of that process being bypassed and good amount of the music created with it will just end up getting 'lost in the mix'.

I can see it as a good starting point though, to help a person determine if they're interested in music to begin with.

For those of us who do play a traditional instrument, that's what music is in the general sense.  But for the untold millions who simply enjoy listening to (and tapping their foot, playing air guitar or air drums) I see music as a release more than an expression of one's individuality.  This little gizmo may get those people to take that next step and learn to express what they feel in musical ways.  Or not.

It usually takes a lot of years to be able to play an instrument well.  Too many people give up and a lot of them just want to be able to doodle around with it.  Why not build something for them ?  It may allow some people to learn and take that next step to being a real musician.

It usually takes a lot of years to be able to play an instrument well.  Too many people give up and a lot of them just want to be able to doodle around with it.  Why not build something for them ?  It may allow some people to learn and take that next step to being a real musician.

I generally agree with this. Nothing really wrong with it. There's tons of devices that do this already. In fact, a computer is capable of doing what this device can as far as the sounds it makes. The device might be more fun though.

But the video makes it seem as if this device could be taken seriously as a sole means to an end. As a guitarist, I just don't see that at all, and have to laugh at it.