Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Record a Guitar with Vetta II and DAW (Logic Pro X)

Hello good morning :)

Excuse me, I am completely new to the daunting experience of recording my own stuff. This means that my question (s) might come across as completely naïve but please bare with me.

I have a Vetta II that I am familiar with. A macbook pro, retina (2014). A GuitarPort (very old but works fine) and M-Audio USB MIDI interface (Uno). I have just bought Logic Pro X because I wanted to start recording stuff (GB is not my cup of tea) so... To my question:

How do I set up my Vetta II to run the sound to my Mac direct? As it is now the sound comes out of the speakers and the mic in my mac picks the sound up. That is not how I want it. I want the sound from Vetta that I have dialed in to be sent digitally straight into the DAW. Bearing in mind what I have and how little I know, can somebody please tell me how this should be done?

I am extremely greatful for any help in the matter

//z

It looks like you have a few options.

The best option would be to get a computer interface that let's you send the signal from the XLR outputs of the Vetta II into your computer.

You could also try going from the Vetta II 1/4" output into your guitar port.

As a last resort, I'd try going from the Vetta II headphone jack to the microphone input on your Mac.

BTW, although I own the newer 'Dream Rig' stuff, I also have a Vetta II and a Guitarport.  I've never tried to use them together but I might have to give it a shot.  I use the Guitarport quite often with amp sim programs or Reaper.

• Upvote 1

Thanks a million Darrell

The old GuitarPort hehe... Found it in the attic after an excrutiating search through alot of garbage up there :)

Haven't used it in ... oh..maybe 8 years. The serial no on it (I think it's 1252) tells you just about how bloody

old it is. It works well but makes me forced to use Logics amps and cabs.

Well I think I'll try your suggestions in reverse order over the weekend. I knew about buying an interface but

I'm also interested in how things work so I am on a "trail and error" mission. Essentially I need to "fool" my Mac

so that it uses its 3,5mm input (which is Audio out/mic in) as a LINE IN (ie e 3 pole not a 2 pole 3,5mm) so I

bought a video cable 3,5mm - RCA just to see if I could go via S/PDIF on VETTA II and straight into the mac

to use MacBooks audio interface. I will post all my outcomings here once I get back home (on holiday now)

May I just ask which output is the 1/4 one? I am not too versed on the techno lingo (sorry)

Again thanks for helping me

Nik

That might work.

If you haven't already, download the Vetta II Manual from:

http://line6.com/support/manuals/vettaii

The info is on page 3-10.  The 1/4" outs are labeled Direct/Wide Outputs and you'd want to use the Left/Mono jack.

I mostly use the Guitarport to get my guitar signal into Reaper or Cantabile 2.0 (free program).  Then, in either of those programs, I'll load in free amp/effects/cab sims and I get tones that completely blow away Amplitube, Guitar Rig or Gearbox.  For example, I'll load TubeDriver (from Nick Crow), the awesome Emissary amp (from Ignite Amps), NadIR (cab IR loader from Ignite Amps) and cabinet IR's from Catharsis.

Sounds complex but it's actually really easy.

I'll be buying a better computer interface soon; probably a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4.

Keep me posted on your progress.

That might work.

If you haven't already, download the Vetta II Manual from:

http://line6.com/support/manuals/vettaii

The info is on page 3-10.  The 1/4" outs are labeled Direct/Wide Outputs and you'd want to use the Left/Mono jack.

I mostly use the Guitarport to get my guitar signal into Reaper or Cantabile 2.0 (free program).  Then, in either of those programs, I'll load in free amp/effects/cab sims and I get tones that completely blow away Amplitube, Guitar Rig or Gearbox.  For example, I'll load TubeDriver (from Nick Crow), the awesome Emissary amp (from Ignite Amps), NadIR (cab IR loader from Ignite Amps) and cabinet IR's from Catharsis.

Sounds complex but it's actually really easy.

I'll be buying a better computer interface soon; probably a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4.

Keep me posted on 9your progress.

Darrell

I really don't know how to thank you. IT WORKS.

I tried the middle suggestion and went (with an ordinare guitar cable) from the "left/mono out" straight into the Guitarport

I plugged the GP into the Mac through USB and left my guitar in the normal jack on the VETTA and ... voila! sound from

Vetta straight into the Logic Pro with no loss of the sound that I've worked on for a very long time (as you know one does

if one has a Vetta :) )

I never thought of connecting it this way. Wonderful. Although I agree with you that if it should be truly pro I'd buy a new

Audio interface (Looked at Zoom TAC 2 - a crazy expensive but brilliant audio converter) But before I do any of that I need

to learn more about recording in general and mixing in particular.

Again, Thanks - You really really made it worth coming back home from holiday!

:rolleyes:  :D

ps link to the Audio Interface Tac 2 It's thunderbolt (and lighning fast...ie no latancy at all!)

Well if you like me have your Vetta stacked with all the sounds you've made through the years you prolly wanna try it.

I find it tiresome dialing in stuff in LPX that I allready have elsewhere. With this, my troubles are gone :)