Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HEADPHONES FOR HD500x

jimiglenndrix

supposedly you should use high impedance headphones with the POD but I bought a pair of Shure SRH440's with low impedance and they sound great to me.  I went with the closed backs just for the sound isolation.  I don't want to hear string noise or other noise while playing through headphones at low volume.  These cans get really loud with no breakup so I have to be careful with my ears.  They also have detachable cord which is nice if you ever have to replace it and they fold up into a carry bag.  Well over a year now and no issues.

About $100 everywhere...  http://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?s=shure+440

I have used both Audio Technica ATH-M50 and AKG K240S headphones.  The AKGs darkened the tone too much; I suspect it would do better with a headphone amp. Fine for practicing, though, so I will probably hang onto them. The ATH M50 were much better; they seem to give a more accurate representation, with less tweaking needed between headphone and FRFR amp.  Only downside is that I would like to have an open back version so that I can hear my kids getting into mischief.  

To some extent, this is like asking "what's the best micro-brew?"....lots of opinions, and nobody is "right" or "wrong". Many good choices.

$250 will get you some nice cans, but you don't need to spend that much. Can't say I agree with the assessment of the AKG's in the post above...but as always, these things are subjective. The AKG K240 Studio (K240S)  have long been my favorite. They have a very flat response, great for tweaking and even mixing multi-track stuff. Had one pair for 15+ years before they died...newer ones come with a replaceable cord, because that's what usually craps out...long before the drivers will anyway. And they're generally in the neighborhood of $100.

No matter what you choose, look for something with an open, or semi-open back design. Fully enclosed headphones tend to artificially pump up the low end...if you tweak that way, your patches will tend to lack bottom end when you play them through anything with a flatter response.

• Upvote 1

I think the newer AKGs are not the same as the older ones, then.  I don't know what the numbers are, but I'm just telling you my experience.  I know the ATs are very neutral for their price range.  Better for mixing, but they also make tonal adjustment easier.  I always have to cut High frequency settings after tweaking with the AKGs.  That's all I know.

I think the newer AKGs are not the same as the older ones, then.  I don't know what the numbers are, but I'm just telling you my experience.  I know the ATs are very neutral for their price range.  Better for mixing, but they also make tonal adjustment easier.  I always have to cut High frequency settings after tweaking with the AKGs.  That's all I know.

Could be...like I said, lotsa good choices. Never used the ATs, but if you like 'em, and they get results...then they're good. :)

Hell, these things are $4500.00 : https://www.staxusa.com/earspeaker/stax-sr-009.html

...not sure what that gets you, except the ability to say "I spent $4500 on a pair of headphones".

I use a pair of 30 year old dollar store headphones. 

WHY? 

Because they add no tone. If you want tone, your have to make tone. But they are low volume. 

I also use the ehs60annbe that came with my phone.

WHY?

The in-ear bud removes some outside noise. They are much louder. But they also ad bass, so its not so good for sound creating. 

I am provided other equipment (stage/studio) as needed. 

Don't forget when tweaking a tone, whether through headphones or not, about how the rest of the sounds surrounding the one you're tweaking affects its tone.

I love the closed back headphones; can't stand the ambient string noise mixed with the virtually amplified tone. Completely changes the feel. Closed backs help a lot with this.

To some extent, this is like asking "what's the best micro-brew?"....lots of opinions, and nobody is "right" or "wrong". Many good choices.

$250 will get you some nice cans, but you don't need to spend that much. Can't say I agree with the assessment of the AKG's in the post above...but as always, these things are subjective. The AKG K240 Studio (K240S)  have long been my favorite. They have a very flat response, great for tweaking and even mixing multi-track stuff. Had one pair for 15+ years before they died...newer ones come with a replaceable cord, because that's what usually craps out...long before the drivers will anyway. And they're generally in the neighborhood of $100.

No matter what you choose, look for something with an open, or semi-open back design. Fully enclosed headphones tend to artificially pump up the low end...if you tweak that way, your patches will tend to lack bottom end when you play them through anything with a flatter response.

I looked at your favorite AKG K240 and also saw the Sony MDR 7506........ if you had to pick between the 2, which one would be the better choice... i do have the $ to spend, but im buying a pistol this week so if i could save some $ it would help...  Going to be using the headphones mainly for practicing, but also to do minor tweaking when my unit isnt hooked to my laptop

Never used or tried the AKG K240s, but use the MDR 7506 daily. Perfectly satisfied with them. I use them to for just about everything, but not as a sole source of sound reproduction. There is also the MDR V6, which is essentially the 7506. I also have a pair of V6s. The 7506s have a more distinct sound separation because of a wiring difference. The V6 you might be able to find slightly cheaper than the 7506.

I looked at your favorite AKG K240 and also saw the Sony MDR 7506........ if you had to pick between the 2, which one would be the better choice... i do have the $ to spend, but im buying a pistol this week so if i could save some $ it would help... Going to be using the headphones mainly for practicing, but also to do minor tweaking when my unit isnt hooked to my laptop

Sorry, never used the Sony's...you really just want something that were designed for mixing, or other studio applications...something with a fairly flat response, otherwise you'll tend to have issues trying to use any patches set up with those cans thru an FRFR speaker / PA. I wouldn't try and tweak patches with a pair of "Beats"...might be great for listening to music, but not necessarily this application.

• Upvote 1

I looked at your favorite AKG K240 and also saw the Sony MDR 7506........ if you had to pick between the 2, which one would be the better choice... i do have the $ to spend, but im buying a pistol this week so if i could save some $ it would help...  Going to be using the headphones mainly for practicing, but also to do minor tweaking when my unit isnt hooked to my laptop

If its just so you can practice while the kids are sleeping, then why spend the money? 

Just use the headphones that you use with your Mp3 player, like I do. 

For $200, I would think it was for a more full time type situation. 

Sorry, never used the Sony's...you really just want something that were designed for mixing, or other studio applications...something with a fairly flat response, otherwise you'll tend to have issues trying to use any patches set up with those cans thru an FRFR speaker / PA. I wouldn't try and tweak patches with a pair of "Beats"...might be great for listening to music, but not necessarily this application.

I get what your saying completely... Im very picky about things sounding as best as possible, even when i do practice...and for the $$$, it really sounds like im going to like the AKG K240 alot. ive checked them out online from your recommendation and im liking what im seeing very nicely

If its just so you can practice while the kids are sleeping, then why spend the money? 

Just use the headphones that you use with your Mp3 player, like I do. 

For $200, I would think it was for a more full time type situation. 

I normally wouldnt care...i use el cheapo headphones from wal mart for listening to my music... but ive just always been very picky about my guitar sound even for just practicing... So i want something specifically made for this type of application.

Ive seen a few different AKG models.... for what im going for, should i just pull the trigger on the AKG K240?

Ive seen a few different AKG models.... for what im going for, should i just pull the trigger on the AKG K240?

Everybody will have 27 different models to choose from. There are cans made specifically for singers to use for tracking in a vocal booth...on aTuesday, with a full moon, after having had a tuna melt for lunch.

Try 'em out...if you don't like them, then I'm sure you can swap them for something else, as long as you haven't slobbered on them or anything...

Everybody will have 27 different models to choose from. There are cans made specifically for singers to use for tracking in a vocal booth...on aTuesday, with a full moon, after having had a tuna melt for lunch.

Try 'em out...if you don't like them, then I'm sure you can swap them for something else, as long as you haven't slobbered on them or anything...

Lol... Im saving up my slobber for when i pick up my pistol this week. gonna need a few rags for that one....but a tuna melt does sound pretty tasty right now.  Im going on your recommendation and going to order them when i get to work.

• 11 months later...

So I seem to be resurrecting this thread due to the lack of answers I found at GC.

I just purchased a HD500X and tripped over an AKG K240 headphones due to the sale cost.  So far it has worked well for my limited time with the system.  Tonight I go into the studio and see how close they are to tonality versus the end result of the patches I created with them coming though the mix.  More on this journey.

Dennis

PS:  I looked but only found closed back Sennheiser HD6 Mix

• 7 months later...

Pretty much any closed back, studio grade headphones would do the job really well.

I use an old pair of Sennheiser HD's (can't remember which model), you could look at Beyerdynamics, AKG, Shure, etc. but unless you were using them for serious studio work, a mid-priced pair would easily suffice, and save you some money as well.

Pretty much any closed back, studio grade headphones would do the job really well.

I use an old pair of Sennheiser HD's (can't remember which model), you could look at Beyerdynamics, AKG, Shure, etc. but unless you were using them for serious studio work, a mid-priced pair would easily suffice, and save you some money as well.

Well based on the info in the links a couple of posts above, closed back is exactly what you don't want if you're looking for a flat response, as those designs tend to over-emphasize the low end. The POD being as bass-heavy as it is, the last thing I want is to have to dial out even more low end.

• 2 weeks later...

I use (daily) a set of sennheiser HD25SP headphones on my HD500x

Great value for money;

closed back design (isolates outside noise better) long, steel reinforced cord - which is replaceable if you do break it (it took me 12 years to break one...)

Used by many pro's in audio & broadcast as they are a great low(ish) cost monitoring headphone.

Can't beat them IMHO for this application

The choice for headphones is probably more than the choice of monitors. It can get overwhelming the choice available.

I use the Sony MDR 750's to check reverb tails in a mix and pan and mono. It also gives me like most headphones an exagerated bottom end due to the proximity effect but less so than most.

If you pay enough you can get headphones that are claimed to be good enough to master with though that is a different matter fro debate.

I also have pair of Isolation headphones from Extreme X which do a good job to listen to what it sounds like when you are in the same room as, especially drums etc. They can isolate nearly that well if your not too close!

With the HD I think you want to rule out the extraneous noises like dunncan said and suggest you buy those for playing while monitoring. Just bare in mind no matter how good the bass is more prominent in these compared to more expansive flat response models.

Another good pair are the Audio Technica  ATH50x. Like the Sony's more bang for your buck.

I havent been checking the latest with Sennheisors or AKG or Bose but they will all make a model that punches well above it's weight.

I havent been checking the latest with Sennheisors or AKG or Bose but they will all make a model that punches well above it's weight.

Can't go wrong with AKG240S...they're about $80 brand new. It's hard to spend less than a hundred bucks and get quality cans, but these things have been a studio standard for years. I find that I can tweak patches and get very close to what my L2T sounds like, even at volume. Not identical of course, but nothing ever is. Only minimal tweaking with the global EQ is required to make a headphone patch gig-ready.

Checked the price here and they range up to about $300. Also has lots of replacemnt parts. I like that steel cable idea!

Anybody charging $300 for that model has balls. They were $100-$110 at most places for years on end...price drop was fairly recent, when they released an updated model, which are essentially the same, only slightly tweaked. But they never stopped making the original ones, as far as I know. I know you can still get them...but $300 is insane. Somebody's price-gouging.

Hi ! 

Yes Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Red Limited Edition is what i have been using for the last 3 years now and compared to some of my mates Shure ,AKG , or Sennheiser i still haven't upgraded . Sound is very dynamic , very "real" and punchy  so if something ain't broken Why fix it ?  

RESPECT ! 

• 1 year later...

I absolutely agree with two of the members specifically above.  You don't need to drop $225 or whatever on headphones.  All you really get above about $100 is diminishing returns.  You spend more to get tinier and tinier improvements in quality.  If you want transparent headphones that let you hear accurately that are also closed-back so you're not bleeding sound into your recordings, I can also recommend the Sennheiser HD280 Pro's, which I bought based on this recommendation and they've served me well.  Just a heads up, when you get "mixing headphones" they aren't like consumer Beats By Dre and all that with crazy bass responses.  They're true to the recording and are flat in their frequency response.  They may not sound as exciting, but they tell you the truth so you can make good decisions.

• 2 months later...