Sign in to follow this  
ozarkanatural

Alternative to Tremel-no?

I remember browsing this forum a while ago, reading of an alternative to the tremol-no. Does anyone know what that is? Is there a reason why you prefer that over the tremel-no?

I've been noticing that my 69's modelling (especially with the Twang and Spank) has been "plunk"-y in comparison to the magnetic pickups and my experience with single-coil guitars. I've been wondering if the floating nature of my setup is contributing to that sound. The "plunk"-yness is especially noticeable with the lower E and A strings. I was hoping a system like the tremol-no can "block" the trem and give me a livelier response on-demand (obviously, giving up the use of the trem arm). 

I should also mention that my guitar has a maple fingerboard, so the all-maple-ness could contribute to the softer response of the lower strings.

Regardless, the 69 is an outstanding super-strat guitar. Using the non-locking-nut tremolo is as good as it gets for me: smooth action and doesn't go out of tune. It really makes playing with the acoustic models really, really fun. This guitar was my first foray into trem guitars, and I'm very happy this trem system has given me zero headaches so far!

You can try damping the springs with some soft foam or other soft item.  Also damp the strings above the nut if you have not done so already.

I remember browsing this forum a while ago, reading of an alternative to the tremol-no. Does anyone know what that is? Is there a reason why you prefer that over the tremel-no?

I think you may be referring to the Hipshot Tremsetter.

http://store.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=115

I didn't know about the Tremol-no at the time I bought it and installed it on my Variax 600 (years ago). Seemed like it worked but I always had problems with the trem on my 600 even after a pro set up. As I recall it kept it in tune a bit better with a Graphtech graphite nut and lived up to the claims from their video.

I have Mag-Loks on a couple of my guitars.  Prevents unwanted "dive" of other strings on double-note bends and still allows upward bends. One of those "I wish I'd thought of that..." inventions.

There are a bunch of alternatives.  This site gives reviews and is good for comparisons of the various products...

http://joe.emenaker.com/TremStabilizers/index.html