Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD500 + L2 / L3 for BASS! (anyone?)

Anyone using the HD500 with a Stagesource rig for bass guitar? It just occurred to me recently that this could be a pretty awesome bass rig, especially with two Stagesource speakers. Either for stereo bass (why not!?) or for some kind of wet / dry bass rig; run one side with normal bass, the other with various effects; pitch shifting, auto wah, stuff like that.

I haven't given the bass side of the equation in terms of the Dream Rig much thought until they announced the new model packs with those new HD bass models...

I use it for recording bass. The Ampeg model is good for certain things but for the most part I use compressors modulation and delay without an amp model. You gave me something to do. I'm going to hook it up to my Fender Rumble bass amp and rock out for a while. I'll report my findings!

• Upvote 1

Yeah, that's what I was thinking! I use an old Ampeg 1x15, which is a cool bass amp, but has no tweeter. I have a really cool US made Mesa-Boogie 1x15 bass cabinet; and an old SWR cheapo power amp head, but the SWR isn't working very well, something needs to be repaired.

That got me thinking, with the StageSource speakers, maybe like, two L2's, you could do a sweet bass rig. Has the low end punch, plenty of power - similar to a 2x10 cab vibe - but with the HD500 as the brains, you can switch from stereo, to wet/dry, to dual bass amps, to all kinds of killer stuff.

And of course, bass Looper jams! :)

I think I am also going to try hook up my two L2t's to the Roland keyboard, see how that sounds!!

That doesn't need the HD500 - but would still be way cool.. 

Keyboard looper jams!! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I definitely need a new FRFR rig... my old Peavey cabs with a velocity 300 just don't cut it.  Been working on a dual path patch to do some Royal Blood type jams with my JTV and HD500.  My rig just sounds flubby.  Interested to hear how others are making out with their bass tones.  A pair of L series is a little too much cash for my budget so who else is running bass and sounding good?  Anybody else try building a Royal Blood type patch?

• 4 weeks later...

I'm highly interested in this too.

How loud could a L2M go before farting out? It's only 1x10 speaker for the low notes so can't be expected to handle too much in the way of lows.

I want a single solution for HD500 in combination with electric guitars, JTV69 (electric and acoustic tones) and bass guitar as well. I need something that can get pretty loud and not fart out, has a smallish form factor, reasonable weight and doesn't break the bank.

Any real world experience would be great! Thanks

I definitely need a new FRFR rig... my old Peavey cabs with a velocity 300 just don't cut it.  

This might be a temporary price cut, but Zzounds has the L3t for $799 right now, I think it's an instant rebate deal or something.

The L3m's are going for $699..

(it's still showing at $999 on Sweetwater, Gtr Ctr, etc.) I think Sweetwater dropped the price for a little while last year, but then went back up again.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--LINSTAGESOURCL3T

http://www.zzounds.com/item--LINSTAGESOURCL3M

Save $200 Instantly!

• An instant rebate has been applied. Price shown reflects price after rebate. Offer valid for a limited time only.

This might be a temporary price cut, but Zzounds has the L3t for $799 right now, I think it's an instant rebate deal or something.

Yeah, but I don't want to pay that much...  I am leaning towards a pair of EV ZLX12P's...

20lbs lighter each than the L3t too! I hear ya, even at that price, the L3t/L3m are steep. I keep waiting for the price to hit around $500 for an L3t..

I also keep holding off because of the 57lbs each weight.. That's pretty heavy to haul to a gig! I can move the L2t around no problem, and they sound great - but I don't know if they are enough to do what you are looking for. I think the 1x12 format might even do it better than the 2x10.. Not sure.

Those EV's do look sharp, they aren't hideous like the Mackie Thump!

• 1 month later...