Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

DI Box from POD to PA

mdvolk1234

Tell the soundguy that the XLR outputs from the HD500 are MIC level - NOT line level.

He may be thinking that you are sending him line levels.

I was mixed up on that previously; think about the HD500 output as being comparable to a mic in front of a guitar amp or cabinet.

I use a DI to go direct to PA because my patches have stacked delays (digital delay on dotted eighth and analog echo on quarter note) and room reverb after the amp. XLRs don't sum the signal in mono so I need a way to combine the left and right channel.

If I go direct to PA using one XLR out of the POD (the PA setup is mono), I feel the delay repeats are somewhat lacking, probably because the other channel is missing.

• Upvote 1

most mixing consoles have the option of providing phantom power thru the xlr connections 2 power condenser mics.
technically speaking, phantom power is a positive voltage (12–48 V DC) on XLR pins 2 and 3 with respect to pin 1 (the cable shield is connected 2 the phantom-power ground).

when hd500(x) xlr'ed direct 2 pa, do NOT forget 2 ask the sound guy 2 cut-off phantom power in2 ur xlr connections...

usage of a di box by default cuts off phantom power, since the 1/4" jacks r connected in2 the hd500(x).

also, 1/4" cables have a length limit, so if the console is "far" enough from ur on-stage hd500(x), the sound guy MUST use xlr lines thru the so called "snake" (a bunch of many-many-may cables connecting the stage with the mixing board).

Some guys are paranoid (or just overly cautious due to previous experiences). 

I used to hate plugging my electronics in to a bar outlet. I always made someone do it for me. I've seen too many arcs fly across the room. 

He probably just doesn't want to lose his gear in the event of a short. 

And you should feel the same in the event that he is a "self fixer". 

• 2 weeks later...

I always ask for a DI exactly for the phantom power reason - Im paranoid it might fry my hd500x if they send it by mistake which is easy to do. Some goes for the direct out of my dt25 - does anyone know for sure if its safe or alternatively if it will hurt your device if they accidentally send 48v?

I always ask for a DI exactly for the phantom power reason - Im paranoid it might fry my hd500x if they send it by mistake which is easy to do. Some goes for the direct out of my dt25 - does anyone know for sure if its safe or alternatively if it will hurt your device if they accidentally send 48v?

I read somewhere here that the POD will ignore the phantom power.

Phantom power will not hurt the POD. The DC voltage for phantom power is on the 2 and 3 pins in an XLR connections and it's in reference to the ground pin, so as long as there's no connection between those pins and the ground (which there shouldn't be), it will be ignored. So you really don't need to worry about it. Many mixers don't actually allow to turn phantom power off for individual channels - it's either off or on for the entire board. So sometimes asking the sound guy to turn it off isn't feasible.

DI with HD500 is not necessary at all between the XLR and the Quarter Inch outputs.  For the instances when I use our bands PA at gigs I run Quarter inch direct since I am close to the board.  In all other cases where I have played through a house PA the sound man has used XLR outs.  The one time a sound guy thought he would need to use a DI for my output changed his mind when he saw the XLRs out.

I use a DI to go direct to PA because my patches have stacked delays (digital delay on dotted eighth and analog echo on quarter note) and room reverb after the amp. XLRs don't sum the signal in mono so I need a way to combine the left and right channel.

If I go direct to PA using one XLR out of the POD (the PA setup is mono), I feel the delay repeats are somewhat lacking, probably because the other channel is missing.

This.

where?

Phantom power will not hurt the POD. The DC voltage for phantom power is on the 2 and 3 pins in an XLR connections and it's in reference to the ground pin, so as long as there's no connection between those pins and the ground (which there shouldn't be), it will be ignored. So you really don't need to worry about it. Many mixers don't actually allow to turn phantom power off for individual channels - it's either off or on for the entire board. So sometimes asking the sound guy to turn it off isn't feasible.

I've experienced having the phantom power active while using XLR out of the POD in the past. Never had any problems.

You do not need a DI. The HD500X is the best DI I have ever used. When customers ask me for a DI for guitar or bass, I recommend the HD500X. Tell your sound man to use both XLR outputs. People on the users forum seem to wonder about the fact that these two outputs are mic level. All mixing consoles with XLR inputs are made for mic and line level. That's what the gain and pad controls are for. I wonder what reasoning the soundman is using? Maybe lack of knowledge?

Phil, I need a beer for each time you have answered this one...check you contract... :D

http://line6.com/supportarchivenew/thread/86741/

It's like they say - "write about what you know"... :)

I probably have answered this question a dozen times or so over the years. I think, though, it's understandable. If people aren't too familiar with sound systems, phantom power can be a somewhat vague concept. Heck, even it's name is mysterious.