Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Topic of e string slippage

I got a JTV 69s today. I love it, but I can't lie, I did get a few E string slippages. Strangly enough, it was the fat E string, not the thin E string.

In some cases of fretting the E string, I push down the string a bit and it'll slip off.

The space between the strings and the slopes on the frets are small compared to other guitars I have.

I've noticed on this topic that this guy has virtually no slopes on his frets.

Mine has a decent amount of sloping. I'm not sure if it comes up on the camera very well though.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21663288/fretboard1.png

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21663288/fretboard2.png

I got my guitar from Sweetwater, so I can return it, but all the other Black 69s are the same year and month (2013, 11)

I can't tell if it's my technique or if it's the guitar. Should I swap the guitar? Should I send it into a service center since it's under warranty?

Variax String Spacing

http://line6.com/support/topic/787-variax-jtv-69s-questions-about-the-string-spacing/

Here is the Straight Fretboard edge on my 2006 Variax 600

1406222024_1584175661_P1020185.JPG

Here is the "Bowed - curved inward Fretboard edge on my 2010 JTV-69 - (Which Line6 Warranty replaced back in 2011 with a Guitar with a straighter fretboard edge.) Problem here was the Low "E" was always falling off the edge of the fretboard , due to lack available fret under the Low E string below the 5th fret !  For New Buyers - its this specific view you want to check on your Tyler JTV-69(s)  - verify the guitar for consideration has a Straight Neck that looks more like the Variax 600 Neck above 

1406222016_703839145_P1020180.JPG

Mine isn't as bad as your original, but the 600 photo has better spacing than mine. 

Doing a D chord doesn't cause high E slippage. Mostly pulling off with 1 finger causes high e slippage.

Fretting the low E at an angle that causes me to push it down a bit can subject it to string slippage.

I'm wondering if this is just how the guitar is designed or if the frets have been beveled too much. If it was just a little bit more then it wouldn't concern me at all, but it's there.

What can I do? Should I swap it, or send it into a service center?

Sweetwater is just a state away, but like I said, all their 69s black maples are 2013, and I also am going on a trip soon so that might have to wait.

I compared my 69S to the above pix and it is more like the 600 pic.  (but it's a rosewood fretboard)  It doesn't look anything like stevekc's 69S board that he had replaced.

Clay-man's board looks ok to me but it's harder to tell from that angle.  I have never had a sting slip off playing mine.  I am not a great player - mostly chords.  I have tiny hands to go with my tiny 5'6 body so the narrow neck fits me.  My advice is to either swap it or ask Line6 to replace the neck if you are not completely satisfied.  You could explain your problem to Sweetwater and have them look at the other 69S blacks that they have and see if any are better for string spacing.  They will do that.

I compared my 69S to the above pix and it is more like the 600 pic.  (but it's a rosewood fretboard)  It doesn't look anything like stevekc's 69S board that he had replaced.

Clay-man's board looks ok to me but it's harder to tell from that angle.  I have never had a sting slip off playing mine.  I am not a great player - mostly chords.  I have tiny hands to go with my tiny 5'6 body so the narrow neck fits me.  My advice is to either swap it or ask Line6 to replace the neck if you are not completely satisfied.  You could explain your problem to Sweetwater and have them look at the other 69S blacks that they have and see if any are better for string spacing.  They will do that.

I probably will talk to Sweetwater first. I really love this guitar, it's just the e slip is going to be a possibility that I don't want to exist.

Certain techniques and hand movements will eventually cause me to have slippage. 

I've gotten a bit better with the guitar over the day but it's still feels like a limitation, and that's not worth it for 1k. I really don't want to get any other model besides a 69 though.

I also don't want to risk swapping for a guitar that has the awful E plinking problem. This guitar has 0% of that and it's great.

Other than the e slippage, the neck is great and it plays amazingly.

Yeah I think I'm sending this guitar back. I had the 12 string dreadnaught in a 7th fret capo alt tuning and the A string was making an alarming crackle noise. It would go away when I switch to a different tuning other than the 7th fret tuning, but when I switched back it came back, then it stopped after like 10 seconds. Happened like 2 or 3 times.

I can't tell if it's a glitch or a malfunction, but I think I should send it back.

Yeah I think I'm sending this guitar back. I had the 12 string dreadnaught in a 7th fret capo alt tuning and the A string was making an alarming crackle noise. It would go away when I switch to a different tuning other than the 7th fret tuning, but when I switched back it came back, then it stopped after like 10 seconds. Happened like 2 or 3 times.

I can't tell if it's a glitch or a malfunction, but I think I should send it back.

Definitely a good idea. For the price you should get a quality guitar.

Here's a picture of the neck on my JTV69US. Hard to tell exactly, but it looks like there's a little more space between the edge of the fretboard and the low E-string on mine than on the pictures in the first post. I've never had any issues with the low E-string falling off on mine. I very rarely will have the high E-string slip, but that is more from user error when I'm sloppy on the upper frets.

post-416571-0-49742900-1424794999_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

It's a 69S, but I still feel like the spacing and/or sloping is off even if the 69 is designed to have less edge space than other guitars.

Serial is W13110556

I'm sending it back to Sweetwater for a swap, but I think their other black 69s guitars are relatively the same year.

The biggest problem is the crackling noise I mentioned, and that's something I just can't deal with. I suspect it's a hardware issue because it happens out of the blue and on a certain setting (7th fret capo with a 12 string dreadnaught aka second position).

I can't deal with faulty electronics. I didn't spend 1k to have another less than decent condition Variax on my hand.

Remember, I just got a new problem. The A string was randomly crackling on the 2nd position acoustic sound (12 string dreadnaught).

It was on an alt tuning that simulated a capo on the 7th fret. 

This would happen randomly, and happened 3 times while I saw playing a song (so like a 5 span minute). The last time it happened it was extremely alerting as when the A string rang, the crackle noise was loud. It would crackle at some sort of frequency, so I doubt it's a grounding problem with the piezo. It also only happened on the 7th fret capo tuning. When I switch out of it, the A string sounded fine. When I switched back, the A string sounded normal.

I'd maybe suspect an error in flashing the firmware, but I'd rather not risk it and just swap this guitar.

Sounds like a set-up issue, maybe a result of fret buzz getting

processed with the rest of the audio.

High-E slip on a 69 was with an earlier run, the fret dress specs were

adjusted and no problem since. That newer fret dress spec was applied

to the 69S later on, so High-E slip hasn't been an issue on the 69S.

Set-up may be an issue here as well, may need to be dialed-in a smidgeon.

Sounds like a set-up issue, maybe a result of fret buzz getting

processed with the rest of the audio.

High-E slip on a 69 was with an earlier run, the fret dress specs were

adjusted and no problem since. That newer fret dress spec was applied

to the 69S later on, so High-E slip hasn't been an issue on the 69S.

Set-up may be an issue here as well, may need to be dialed-in a smidgeon.

Actually you know what,  my guitar did have fret buzzing issues in the early frets, so you MAY be right. I know the Variax alternate tuning has this thing where it'll keep making the weird sound until you strike the string right again, but then again, the noise was happening even after striking the string a few times and switching between the tunings. 

Like I said, it was a crackling noise. The note sounded fine it just had a crackling noise over it, and the crackling happened on like some type of low frequency cycle, not randomly. It was like a crackle pop sound, not warbling.

As for the E slippage, it just seems like the slopes might be angled too far into the frets. The distance between the slope and the strings isn't too bad like Steve's post, but it still is there.

I don't know if there's been different sloping on different models, but from the topic I linked to (http://line6.com/support/topic/10280-jtv-69s-high-e-string-slip-still-an-issue/)

The pictures look like there's virtually almost none. It looks like it was smoothed out but not really any slope. Personally, I think that would be great, but I don't know how I would get a guitar like that.

Either way, Sweetwater is taking it back and sending me a replacement as soon as mine is in transit. I just hope I don't run into any common problems like the dreadful E plinkage. The E string tone was PERFECT on the guitar I got. No PLUNK PLUNK PLUNK on a high gain tube screamer setting, I hope the replacement is the same. I love the JTV 69 besides the problems I encountered.

"It was like a crackle pop sound"--- electronic,... a few different possibilities.

An authorized service center could narrow it down, nip it in the bud, and check 

the set-up,... all at once.

JTV's are all set-up and checked out before they leave the distribution center.

Cross country travel, climate change from region-to-region can have an affect

on the set-up. The set-up may need to be dialed-in a smidgeon.

clay-man - You've been wanting for this guitar for sooooo long. I've been following all your posts and know you wanted this black - maple neck- 69s for so long and now you finally got one and it's a bummer. I feel for ya man. Was really happy for you when you posted you FINALLY gathered the cash and ordered one and now it's got to go back. Dang!
I had troubles with getting my first JTV also. I went to Sweetwater as I always do for gear and they had none and JTVs were still too new for good stock and Sweetwater didn't know when they would get stock on 69s - so, I tried a 89. I had to send back 3 of them for various electrical problems. My rep at Sweetwater was great about it and we gave up on getting an workable 89 and they refunded my account. When the JTVs first came out I wanted a 69 (first choice strat like with a trem) but couldn't find one anyplace except for Rainbow Guitars - just had to have the new gen Variax, GAS was so bad just had to have one. I got one and had to send it back to Line 6 five times for neck and nut issues but they finally got it together (psarkissian probably worked his magic on it) and I have had a good guitar since 2012. Recently bought a Dent and Scratch 59 gold top w/P90s from Sweetwater - bad VDI connector - last gold top, so, had to keep it instead of exchange it - shipped back and fixed with GREAT set up. They will make it right - hang in there - you'll get that "dream guitar".

• Upvote 1

"It was like a crackle pop sound"--- electronic,... a few different possibilities.

An authorized service center could narrow it down, nip it in the bud, and check 

the set-up,... all at once.

JTV's are all set-up and checked out before they leave the distribution center.

Cross country travel, climate change from region-to-region can have an affect

on the set-up. The set-up may need to be dialed-in a smidgeon.

It only happened on that setting and it was hard to replicate. It happened like 3 times in 5 minutes, then I tried to record it and couldn't get it to do it again, but if it did that 3 times, I don't want to risk electronic failure in the future. 

clay-man - You've been wanting for this guitar for sooooo long. I've been following all your posts and know you wanted this black - maple neck- 69s for so long and now you finally got one and it's a bummer. I feel for ya man. Was really happy for you when you posted you FINALLY gathered the cash and ordered one and now it's got to go back. Dang!

I had troubles with getting my first JTV also. I went to Sweetwater as I always do for gear and they had none and JTVs were still too new for good stock and Sweetwater didn't know when they would get stock on 69s - so, I tried a 89. I had to send back 3 of them for various electrical problems. My rep at Sweetwater was great about it and we gave up on getting an workable 89 and they refunded my account. When the JTVs first came out I wanted a 69 (first choice strat like with a trem) but couldn't find one anyplace except for Rainbow Guitars - just had to have the new gen Variax, GAS was so bad just had to have one. I got one and had to send it back to Line 6 five times for neck and nut issues but they finally got it together (psarkissian probably worked his magic on it) and I have had a good guitar since 2012. Recently bought a Dent and Scratch 59 gold top w/P90s from Sweetwater - bad VDI connector - last gold top, so, had to keep it instead of exchange it - shipped back and fixed with GREAT set up. They will make it right - hang in there - you'll get that "dream guitar".

Thanks Joe. I want to send it back in but I'll be gone next week until the and I'm afraid the guitar will come while I'm away and I don't get back until the 10th. I might have to send it back later unless I can get Sweetwater to hold my guitar for me until I'm back.

Those guys will work out anything with you, whether you're buying a bag of picks or a $2000+ instrument.

Anyway congratulations - sort of.

I trust them, it's just that I'm getting paranoid since I'm dealing with a 1k guitar. I never spend more than 200 on a guitar until my Variax 600 which was 470 used. 

I was extremely nervous of running into issues with the guitar. I know Sweetwater is great and you guys said they'll virtually always replace a bad apple, but it's just dealing with these issues at that price range that's nerve racking.

Luckily Sweetwater is only 1 state away, (Indiana, Ohio) and it literally was going to be delivered in virtually 1 day but the snow storm made Fedex not deliver on Saturday.

Either way, it should be fine. I'm actually leaving on Wednesday (Why do I keep thinking Tuesday) and that should be plenty of time if I get the guitar to Fedex tomorrow or Thursday.

They said they're shipping as soon as it's in transit.

Thank you all for your help, and I can't wait to get a perfect guitar and join the JTV club. Like I said, I loved it, it was just those issues. 

2.10 isn't as bad as people let it out to be. It did feel awkward for the first hour but after that I loved it.

Got the Guitar to Fedex. Sweetwater says they'll send my replacement today or tomorrow. Should get it really soon since it's a state away.

Here's to getting a better replacement. No e plinking, no electronic malfunctions, no awkward string slips!

Like I said, I LOVED everything minus those problems. 

My old Variax was delivered. Still waiting for the tracking on my replacement. Hopefully it's today. 

Again, it only took 1 day for a delivery between me and them so hopefully my replacement comes instantly.

Hopefully everything is alright on it.

Kind of strange how the weight said 1 pound on the tracking info though, they must have not really punched in the weight when Fedex took my guitar. I did have some trouble with them getting the airbill but they got it after 30 minutes.

I'm probably just being paranoid.