Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Is it best to go straight to PA live?

drake_st_milan

I have a Behringer X32 board we use for our band. I just got an FX100. I also have a Quilter Toneblock 200. I set it to line level and hooked up main out (L). The tones sound pretty harsh, but if I go in and dial them in (take off a lot of treble) I can get decent tones but still not what I had in mind when I bought the damn thing.

Would it be best to run the L/R into a stereo DI and go into a linked left right channel of the PA and just dedicate an effects send back to a self powered monitor? I imagine I would still have to tweak the  patches, but if I don't have to deal with a harshness it would be a lot better starting point. 

Another question, can I copy and paste patches to move them around? It would be a lot easier to have several patches I use in the same song in the same block. 

I think the short answer to your question is to try everything.  The part that concerns me is when you talked about the harsh sound coming out of the FX100.  I have personally hooked up a FX100 into a PA and did not experience this at all.  I would venture to guess the PA is causing this issue.

I imagine your FX100 sounds just fine with nothing but headphones, right?  Through a good PA and good set of speakers, it should sound just like your headphones (especially if the speakers have a SW).

Getting back to your question about set up.  I did hook up my FX100 using the Left/Mono to the board AS WELL AS using the Left and Right outputs to the board on their own channels.  The stereo option definitely sounded better, but was only noticeable when using stereo effects like ping pong delays.  There were a few cool modulations that sounded great.  Having said that, the band I work with does not use a lot of that fun stuff, so it's easier to just use one channel and treat it like any other miced amp.

I think the harsh sound you are hearing is coming from the PA setup.  Make sure everything is flat, but I'm sure you've already done all that.  I will say this...the FX100 IMO is EQed very flat.  To me it sounds perfect as a starting point for recording.  When you play it through an amp, which I'd say a majority of people do, you get an automatic "coloring" of the sound that the PA will not do.  Maybe your ear is just very sensitive to that flat sound out of the PA.

I would do this in the effect chain.  Add a Boost + EQ pedal in the Stomp section and use it to set your EQ.  Then do your normal tone set up and then use the EQ pedal towards the end of the signal chain and tweak to taste.  If your PA and speakers are set correctly and in good condition, you should be able to get awesome results with the FX100.  Same is true for the Table Top.

Good luck!!

I'm sorry, I didn't explain very well. I hooked up the FX100 thru the toneblock and a 212 cab. I think what I was doing wrong is I left the IR's on and that is why it sounded harsh through the guitar rig. Once I actually hooked it up through the PA it sounded much better. Originally I was thinking I would use the toneblock and the cab as a personal monitor, but now I believe it would be better to either use a self powered FRFR for my own monitoring or just feed it back through my vocal monitor since I sing very little. The guitar out doesn't really work, it sounds pretty crappy all the way around and doesn't have enough signal to get a decent tone. Unless I can turn up the guitar out somewhere in the unit or the software.