Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Right output volume loss on M20d

Morning all, Anyone else had this, mixer volume set to a level, left channel output fine, right channel output vurtually non existant?

Checked all cables, connections, nothing seems amiss. Following that I did a 2 hour bench test, right channel to powered speaker - played music for 20 mins and then the volume slowly rose to level it should be - weird!?

When this happens you can disconnect power to the system, reinstate power, and all goes back to fine on both channels, problem solved for a little while but then does it again!

Thinking this is a software glitch, anyone had this problem? Any ideas on how to resovle it?

Thanks

Thanks for that, a ground fault would also explain the hissing we've been getting recently, sadly it won't be under warranty it was one of the first off the line quick questions, is the grounding issue a mechanical fault, as in a loose wire / dry joint in which case it's not too big a deal I know people who do that kind of repair. Other question is is this likely to effect the other channel, to get us thru this busy time I've used a splitter and are just running 2 outs from the one that's working fine but if this was to go too I'm in it deep? Thanks for taking the time to reply once again.

Hi,

is it possible that not all service centers know of this fix?

Here's my last posting concerning this problem: http://line6.com/support/topic/10197-no-output-on-the-left-side-until-and-some-questions/

and now it happended the third time :angry:. (Not only that I had to spend my time by bringing it to my dealer (Session Music, Frankfurt) and waiting nearly 4 weeks (each time) for the "fixed" mixer - every time I had to get a spare mixer (I don't know if it is the right expression - sorry for my english) AND I lost the confidence in this very mixer (that I love for the idea).

A "bit" bugged out I opened a support ticket on February 16,:

Hi there! I bought my MD20 in August 2012 and half a year later I got a new one because of heat problems. Now I have to bring this "new one" to my dealer (Session Music Frankfurt, Germany) for the THIRD time because of the known channel problems (first time channel one, second time and now problems with the left main out. - see my former posts in the MD20 Forum). Now my question: fortunately Session Music has a 3-years warranty - but in August the warranty time is over - what should I do, when the unit has the same problem over and over again? Is the service center using wrong spare parts? What can I do to have working unit I can trust in? I love this mixer but it spends more time in the service center then on stage - not to speak of all the efforts to bring it to my dealer, to get it back, to get a spare mixer for our gigs and so on. Do I have to dump it in September this year? As I read in the forum I am not the only one with these channel problems - what is the solution? Thanks for the answer in advance Roger

The answer was:

I am sorry to hear your problems with the M20d.
I suggest to take it once more to your dealer and ask for a replacement as this is now the third time. Unfortunately after the warranty has lapsed it would have to be a chargeable repair.

(Thanks to D. Schillinger for the answer)

That was what I did last week - I took the mixer to the dealer and explained my problems.

State of the affairs: Session Music has sent the mixer to Line6 and I have to wait (as the guy at  session music said) for about three weeks or longer for the answer if it's really the third time (to get a replacement - or to withdraw from the contract) or if it's not the same failure and I get "only", and for the third time, a repair. (And to wait for September to pay for each following repair :angry:.)

Not to be misunderstood - I am a fan of the M20D (if I only could trust in the "stability"), I like this forum and the the guys from Line6 in here - but I paid nearly 2,500 Euro for a thing that is more often at the service than on stage (ok, not exactly ;)) - and I hope everyone can understand that I'm a bit upset.)

In the hope that I get a "good" answer from Line6 in the next few weeks

Roger

Thanks for that, a ground fault would also explain the hissing we've been getting recently, sadly it won't be under warranty it was one of the first off the line quick questions, is the grounding issue a mechanical fault, as in a loose wire / dry joint in which case it's not too big a deal I know people who do that kind of repair. Other question is is this likely to effect the other channel, to get us thru this busy time I've used a splitter and are just running 2 outs from the one that's working fine but if this was to go too I'm in it deep? Thanks for taking the time to reply once again.

It's the contacts to the case. Every input and output as a small metal contact connecting the ground to the case it self just by pressure.  

People are reinforcing this by soldering this contacts together and grounding them properly. 

See here: 

http://line6.com/support/topic/10197-no-output-on-the-left-side-until-and-some-questions/

Anyone with basic knowledge of electronics will see the problem as soon as he opens the case  ;)

I'm onto my second M20d desk, and I've been really, really pleased with it. Unfortunately we had an issue on Tuesday night where Channel 1 wasn't behaving itself, the gain was changing all by itself and causing the performers to be a bit 'put off' by the changes. We swapped to Channel 5 after a certain point in the evening, and everything seemed fine with that channel.

I'm investigating XLR leads and Channel 1 today. Could there be an issue with this 'grounding switch' if the XLR being used is old and the fit in the socket isn't as tight as a new XLR (for example)?

• 2 weeks later...

I did the above ground mod this weekend and my issues with the headphone jack cutting out seems to have been fixed. I also replaced monitor out d and right out male xlr ports due to the cheap switch wheel popping off and failing. I will update you guy with more info once I use the board more this week