Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

someone provide me with an honest opinion of amplifi

sunshinewelly

I was very excited yesterday when i came across this product yesterday and went as far as ordering the 75 w model. However i have now cancelled the order. I spent some time listening to some demos last night on youtube and frankly i did not come across one which sounded decent.

Can any real world owners provide some honest feed back of what tones they are getting out of this device. I still dont understand why they did not use the newer HD models

I have the FX100 which I monitor with studio monitors.

I personally think they went with the POD Farm/PODxt/X3 tones for a few reasons:

Lower price point, first to market, tones may be easier to dial in than HD for many, a larger initial data base of tones for tone matching, and proof of concept.

Looks like the proof of concept panned out for them and now they are offering the Firehawk, which can run xt and HD tones.

I also own a PODxt and UX2, but for whatever reason, the FX100 sounds better.

I was very excited yesterday when i came across this product yesterday and went as far as ordering the 75 w model. However i have now cancelled the order. I spent some time listening to some demos last night on youtube and frankly i did not come across one which sounded decent.

Can any real world owners provide some honest feed back of what tones they are getting out of this device. I still dont understand why they did not use the newer HD models

To me for $500 and a minimal amount of space I have something that can do it all with relatively no hassle.  The new Firehawk seems nice but lacks some of the features of the 500HD and if you get that or the 500HD you still need a speaker solution.  I think it comes down to what your needs and expectations are and what your budget will allow.  If it's for casual home use you can't beat the Amplifi 75 or 150.  If you have greater requirements than that then you're going to have to look elsewhere.  To answer your question the sound quality is really good (subjective I know).  If I paid $2000 for it I don't think I'd be very happy but for $500 it's a great deal.  What alternatives are you considering? 

I recently purchased the Amplifi 150 with the FBV Shortboard MKII and have been using it for about 24 hours so I have limited experience. With that said I am completely blown away with the tones I can get from it. I tried the Tone Match last night to try and find a Rush tone for the song La Villa Strangiato and really couldn't find anything close enough for me, so I took the closest that I could find and started playing with the editor. I can tell you that I got really close within 10 to 15 minutes. I then tried this morning to get an old Peavey 5150 sound and it was very easy to create using some of the tone matches for Van Halen. I have a Schecter Hellraiser C7-FR with Active pickups and a 83 Fender Squire Strat with passive pickups and they both sound amazing on this amp.

I have done a little playing with clean tones and was also very impressed, I wanted the clean tone for Metallica One and found it in tone cloud and with very little tweaking got it to what I would prefer.

As a side note I decided to crank it up halfway to see what kind of volume I could get and all I can say is this amp really rocks.

Let me know if there is anything you want me to try and I would be happy to do it.

I am an Amplifi FX 100 user, and still have a HD500 and HD500X in as back up.

Big plus(es) for me:

1. The live sound in my opinion is right. The FX100 doesn't have the digital "zing" that I have expereinced with all other digital multis that I have used/owned/tried.. I think it sounds great live.

2. Ease of editing, and editing on the fly. I have my Ipad on my music stand and am able to edit on the fly during rehearsal, however read below.

3. Easy to set up and configure for live sound.

4. Rehearsing at home is extremely easy and streamlined.

Minus(es) in my opine:

1. It likes to glitch out. Last night for instance I saved an edit during rehearsal and instead of saving the patch it disappeared. I HATE stopping rehearsal to re-load a patch. Even with the irritating occasional glitch, it is still my go to rig right now.

2. Not having the option to toggle an effect on and off in the active patch. (this will be fixed in the Firehawk)

3. Limited FX blocks in each patch. (this too will be fixed in the Firehawk)

4. No Effects loop (fixed in the Firehawk)

I am waiting patiently for the Firehawk and will be odering mine as soon as it is available. I am hoping the Firehawk will carry the horsepower and some of the FX that are in the HD rigs. I also hope ordering ASAP will not be a mistake. I have been checking in occasionally looking for the Firehawk manual to show up on the Line 6 site...

I am an Amplifi FX 100 user, and still have a HD500 and HD500X in as back up.

Big plus(es) for me:

1. The live sound in my opinion is right. The FX100 doesn't have the digital "zing" that I have expereinced with all other digital multis that I have used/owned/tried.. I think it sounds great live.

2. Ease of editing, and editing on the fly. I have my Ipad on my music stand and am able to edit on the fly during rehearsal, however read below.

3. Easy to set up and configure for live sound.

4. Rehearsing at home is extremely easy and streamlined.

Minus(es) in my opine:

1. It likes to glitch out. Last night for instance I saved an edit during rehearsal and instead of saving the patch it disappeared. I HATE stopping rehearsal to re-load a patch. Even with the irritating occasional glitch, it is still my go to rig right now.

2. Not having the option to toggle an effect on and off in the active patch. (this will be fixed in the Firehawk)

3. Limited FX blocks in each patch. (this too will be fixed in the Firehawk)

4. No Effects loop (fixed in the Firehawk)

I am waiting patiently for the Firehawk and will be odering mine as soon as it is available. I am hoping the Firehawk will carry the horsepower and some of the FX that are in the HD rigs. I also hope ordering ASAP will not be a mistake. I have been checking in occasionally looking for the Firehawk manual to show up on the Line 6 site...

I hope the Firehawk integrates nicely with the Amplifi (in my case the 150).  If so then instead of spending $200 on the FBV Shortboard I can put that money towards the Firehawk and gain the functionality of the shortboard with the all the features of the Firehawk.  I think it would open up a lot of possibilities for using a looper with the 150 as well.  But they would have to pair together properly, I hope Line 6 does that. 

To my understanding, the Amplifi tones will up-load to the Firehawk, but the Firehawk won't down-load to the Amplifi. I have already started saving my custom tones to the Cloud so I can drop them in to the Firehawk.

I have transitioned through several Line 6 rigs. This one sounds like it could be the easiest transititon.

I haven't heard any mention of Firehawk 'integrating with' the AMPLIFi devices. Of course, you could route the Firehawk outputs into the AMPLIFi aux input which effectively bypasses the AMPLIFi processing and uses it only as a speaker. But that's not really what I would call integration.

Do you have something more sophisticated in mind?

I still dont understand why they did not use the newer HD models

Yeah; couple of reasons: I don't think they are ready to Eclipse the "flagship" HD500x line yet; in terms of the HD offerings.

Also, they just announced the "Firehawk"; which sits on the 'Bluetooth / App' platform of the AMPLIFi; yet merges the older X3 and PODFarm amp models / FX with some of the newer HD amp models and FX.

And, they are now going back to 'selling' the upgrade packs of new HD models for the HD500x and HD500 devices, so they don't want to "Give it away, give it away, give it away - yet"... :)

I love my HD500x and my HD500. I use a pair of DT25's and a pair of L2t speakers. This rig is stellar, but it's way more than people need for a casual home jamming / tone / fun experience, with some USB recording functionality thrown in.

For the price, it's still a nice Bluetooth speaker - I paid $100 for a *way* smaller / tiny little Sony bluetooth speaker, and my guess is the AMPLIFI is way, way, way louder and nicer sounding..

Just comes down to what you want to do with it all!

• Upvote 1

Yeah; couple of reasons: I don't think they are ready to Eclipse the "flagship" HD500x line yet; in terms of the HD offerings.

Also, they just announced the "Firehawk"; which sits on the 'Bluetooth / App' platform of the AMPLIFi; yet merges the older X3 and PODFarm amp models / FX with some of the newer HD amp models and FX.

And, they are now going back to 'selling' the upgrade packs of new HD models for the HD500x and HD500 devices, so they don't want to "Give it away, give it away, give it away - yet"... :)

I love my HD500x and my HD500. I use a pair of DT25's and a pair of L2t speakers. This rig is stellar, but it's way more than people need for a casual home jamming / tone / fun experience, with some USB recording functionality thrown in.

For the price, it's still a nice Bluetooth speaker - I paid $100 for a *way* smaller / tiny little Sony bluetooth speaker, and my guess is the AMPLIFI is way, way, way louder and nicer sounding..

Just comes down to what you want to do with it all!

You're probably sick of answering this question but just quickly how do you feel about the HD500X with the DT25 vs. the L2t? 

I haven't heard any mention of Firehawk 'integrating with' the AMPLIFi devices. Of course, you could route the Firehawk outputs into the AMPLIFi aux input which effectively bypasses the AMPLIFi processing and uses it only as a speaker. But that's not really what I would call integration.

Do you have something more sophisticated in mind?

In a similar manner in which the HD500X integrates with the DT25.  (Obviously the Amplifi 150 isn't a tube amp but that type of functionality between the devices).  For instance if you're using the HD patches with the Firehawk then the Amplifi 150 would function as a speaker the same way it works now for Amplifi patches.  If it's not an HD model then it basically turns into an FBV shortboard and you can use it in that manner.  I haven't fully thought this through however I'd gladly buy a Firehawk over an FBV shortboard if it did all that.  

No integration similar to the Pod HD and DT amp series.

From what I have read Firehawk will integrate nicely with Variax guitars because they both have the VDI connection. But neither AMPLIFi nor Firehawk has an L6 LINK connection (which the Pod HD and DT amps use) and hence no means of communicating with each other. So the AMPLIFi 150 can not know that its input is coming from a Firehawk and nor can the Firehawk know that it is connected to an AMPLIFi device. Neither device has any means of detecting the other and hence no basis for configuring themselves accordingly.

No integration similar to the Pod HD and DT amp series.

From what I have read Firehawk will integrate nicely with Variax guitars because they both have the VDI connection. But neither AMPLIFi nor Firehawk has an L6 LINK connection (which the Pod HD and DT amps use) and hence no means of communicating with each other. So the AMPLIFi 150 can not know that its input is coming from a Firehawk and nor can the Firehawk know that it is connected to an AMPLIFi device. Neither device has any means of detecting the other and hence no basis for configuring themselves accordingly.

What about USB?  If the Firehawk has a USB out it might be possible?  Maybe they could utilize bluetooth and the remote app connecting to both devices somehow?  Or add a patch to the Amplifi that when selected will optimize it to work with the Firehawk if you're just plugging it into the guitar input.  With the speed at which Line 6 is releasing these products they should be thinking about these things.  These features can only help current and future sales.  Or at least give an "upgrade" price to existing Amplifi owners.   It's not like the Amplifi 150 came out 10 years ago, I've had mine for less than 6 months.  

You're probably sick of answering this question but just quickly how do you feel about the HD500X with the DT25 vs. the L2t? 

Naw, never get sick of it! They are both pretty cool; I prefer the DT anytime I am playing with other musicians involving a drum set.

I tend to use more of the studio/direct tones to the L2t's when I am home and want to just attenuate volume without having it change the tone.

Recently, I set up my two DT25's and ran the XLR outs to the M20d mixer, sent that output to the L2t's.

Interesting to take the basic "amp tone" even just the XLR out (which has always sounded great to me), and then 'tweak' it with the EQ and various other effects and adjustments available to the channel strips on the M20d.

I can see where guitarists get too hung up on what is coming out of the amp they are using; vs being able to hear the tone as envisioned by the guy presenting the sound to the main mix, or recording mix.

Had a similar experience in studio, not with my gear - but we're recording, and the other guitarist is going from his guitar to a Mesa Boogie 1x12 combo, mic'd up, and I am listening in the control room. I heard the amp when they were dialing it in, then I heard how the recording engineer tweaked what the mic is hearing to fit the mix.

That's the thing; your basic guitar and amp tone will always be versatile enough to tweak into a mix, if it's not too extreme or too specific. The more authentic and personal your tone is, the easier it is for a sound guy to help translate "your sound" to the main mix.

Why I ultimately prefer the DT amps for live / rehearsal use, is they let me not worry about some of those more "sound guy" specific settings that the HD500 can offer in studio/direct mode.

For studio, and for going direct, there isn't much else better! But for when you want to concentrate on your performance, and let someone else worry about getting your sound to fit in the mix for that venue or stage, then the DT's are what I go for.

Naw, never get sick of it! They are both pretty cool; I prefer the DT anytime I am playing with other musicians involving a drum set.

I tend to use more of the studio/direct tones to the L2t's when I am home and want to just attenuate volume without having it change the tone.

Recently, I set up my two DT25's and ran the XLR outs to the M20d mixer, sent that output to the L2t's.

Interesting to take the basic "amp tone" even just the XLR out (which has always sounded great to me), and then 'tweak' it with the EQ and various other effects and adjustments available to the channel strips on the M20d.

I can see where guitarists get too hung up on what is coming out of the amp they are using; vs being able to hear the tone as envisioned by the guy presenting the sound to the main mix, or recording mix.

Had a similar experience in studio, not with my gear - but we're recording, and the other guitarist is going from his guitar to a Mesa Boogie 1x12 combo, mic'd up, and I am listening in the control room. I heard the amp when they were dialing it in, then I heard how the recording engineer tweaked what the mic is hearing to fit the mix.

That's the thing; your basic guitar and amp tone will always be versatile enough to tweak into a mix, if it's not too extreme or too specific. The more authentic and personal your tone is, the easier it is for a sound guy to help translate "your sound" to the main mix.

Why I ultimately prefer the DT amps for live / rehearsal use, is they let me not worry about some of those more "sound guy" specific settings that the HD500 can offer in studio/direct mode.

For studio, and for going direct, there isn't much else better! But for when you want to concentrate on your performance, and let someone else worry about getting your sound to fit in the mix for that venue or stage, then the DT's are what I go for.

Thanks for discussing, I appreciate your perspective on all that. 

• 1 month later...

I have the 150 and I am already wondering how to upgrade the 12" speaker. I admit I have been running it on live sound applications.

But the special 12" Celestion speaker is very cheap. Even mic it just doesn't seem to have the oomph. The tones are stellar. I am just commenting on the 12" speaker only. Probably a chinese version. But looking at the amp.

It looks like a speaker change out/ overhaul would be a major deal.

Had the Amplifi 150w for a week and have just bought a MkII Shortboard over the MkII Express and for its added functionality, I'm glad I did. Found a tone I was looking for and am very happy with how it sounds.

That said, initial impressions were that this amp is average being used as a boom box, and the sound coming from songs played through the app are falling short of my expectations. If the app had a 10 band EQ on it, the sound may be tweaked to be suitable, but I am tempted to use the app for hunting tones alone, then playing along to my stereo.

The Bluetooth connection to the amp also drops out regularly which is completely annoying while using the app. Again, I'll only be using the app to hunt tones, then save them to my Shortboard and use the amp as a standalone piece of equipment.

Had the Amplifi 150w for a week and have just bought a MkII Shortboard over the MkII Express and for its added functionality, I'm glad I did. Found a tone I was looking for and am very happy with how it sounds.

That said, initial impressions were that this amp is average being used as a boom box, and the sound coming from songs played through the app are falling short of my expectations. If the app had a 10 band EQ on it, the sound may be tweaked to be suitable, but I am tempted to use the app for hunting tones alone, then playing along to my stereo.

The Bluetooth connection to the amp also drops out regularly which is completely annoying while using the app. Again, I'll only be using the app to hunt tones, then save them to my Shortboard and use the amp as a standalone piece of equipment.

Not having an EQ on the amp for music playback does hurt its effectiveness however some of my MP3's sound great and other not so much, depends on the mixing.  Also if your MP3 player has EQ settings that helped me out too.  Same thing with listening to videos or running the CD through the aux in, some sounds good others not so much.  I don't have any problems with the bluetooth connection though, drops are very infrequent for me. 

• 1 year later...

from my experience:

pros: great idea, ideal for a living room where you also play your guitar. Good tones and possibilities, and decent speaker for music. Looks good.

cons: bluetooth connectivity was bad, it dropped often, crunchy sound with music sometimes, even with the latest firmware. I mean bad, and you had to reconnect the bluetooth each time and "forget the device" to connect to it... Very unreliable. Also my amplifi 150 died within a year, out of the blue like that, never gigged with it (I can't imagine ever gigging with this, I'd be freakin' out the whole time that the thing would let me down). But let's face it, I don't think it has ever been design for shows so...

I just can't recommend this amp. I really, really wanted to love it, I liked the concept but in practice... I don't even know what I want to do with my dead brick now. Do I spend the extra money and try to get it fixed or do I just move on and go another route ( and at this point I am probably done with line 6 after this experience in particular).

So if you can think of other alternatives to line 6 amplifi, please share! I'd like to know...

I have the Amplifi150.  It's my bedroom amp.  I plug in, pick a tune to jam to, select a tone from the suggested list and play.  Dead simple.  I like how it sounds and I like how simple it is to use.  I had a POD HD, but always found myself tweaking rather then playing.  If I was planning to gig, I would have chosen the Firehawk 1500.  I really like the tablet/phone interface for editing patches.  I was using the mobile pod app prior to getting the Amplifi 150 and got hooked on its simple interface, especially the sliders.  

I've had the 75 for a couple of months and agree with squeegy! This is a great bedroom, basement or practice amp. You would never use an Amplifi to gig with IMHO. The Bluetooth is unreliable and it simply does not have the huevos to compete with a loud drummer. For gigging I would much sooner go with the FH 1500 and an FBV Floor pedal to control it. If you're a rich maniac techy, you might opt for a Helix/DT 25 or StageSource setup. The Amplif is what it is. People who are disappointed usually have BT connectivity or software issues. I don't and I'm enjoying mine.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

I've had my 150 since not long after they launched in the UK, and it's been great. I've had none of the Bluetooth issues that others seem to be frustrated by, and I even gigged it for a couple of months after my usual Engl amp started playing up. I wouldn't gig with it using the app though, I just programmed 4 sounds and used the footswitch. Not sure how robust it would be for long term live use, but it was toneful and loud enough to do the job when called upon.

I personally think the tones are pretty good, very easy to get something nice, really intuitive interface - I generally use it when practicing and learning new stuff, and I can't think of much better. I can connect to my Mac, have Guitar Pro, or Spotify, and my guitar coming through at a nice balanced volume, and all sounding great. Not sure what more you could ask or expect at this price point...

Not sure why Line 6 didn't think of more options between the Amplifi 150 and the far superior Firehawk 1500. A FH 1000 with included FBV controller for instance at say $799 US. I never did understand their business model.

Jim