Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Keyboard into POD HD 500x Aux In?

robertmcollins3

Tried this last night, but it didn't work so I thought I'd see if it was just user error.

Wife and I wanted to practice a bit, so I thought I could hook her keyboard into the POD using the AUX OUT of her keyboard (1/4" jack) into the AUX IN of the POD.  All that happened when I made that connection though was it muted her keyboard speakers. 

My POD is just hooked up to my computer speakers using the headphone jack with an 1/8" adapter, as I mainly just play along to YouTube, I-Tunes, and edit my patches.  I don't have a complete DAW or interface as I don't do any recording or producing.  Is there another way to accomplish this?

It'll be more of a pain to drag out my amp and move the POD over by the keyboard, etc...

Press the view screen to enter SYSTEM setup on your HD500x.

Navigate to page 3 which shows INPUT 1 SOURCE and INPUT 2 SOURCE.

I suggest you have INPUT 1 set to GUITAR (or VARIAX if you are using a JTV or Variax) and set INPUT 2 to just AUX.

Next check that the PATCH you are using has nothing in the pre path - then just put your fx and amps for guitar in PATH A - and whatever fx you want for the keyboard in PATH B.  Finally adjust the MIXER block to either blend the PATH A and PATH B signals into a combined stereo mix OR pan them hard right and hard left to separate the guitar and keyboard output.  Adjust the mixer level for both PATH A and PATH B as needed - either boosting or lowering as necessary to balance the signals.

Hope that helps.

CD/MP3 input seems the most straight forward approach to get what you want. Has line level in. Mix volume is controlled by external device (keyboard in your case) volume control. You probably want a 2 1/4" TS (from keyboard L/R) to 1/4" TRS cable to connect to CD/MP3 in on HD to keep stereo image.

If you ever want HD500 effects on the keyboard I'd recommend to put the keyboard in the guitar input because it has a pad to make it better match the higher line levels of the keyboard out. Use the Aux in for guitar (same sensitivity as guitar in, but no pad). Make sure to follow the erlier posters advice on configuring the HD's input menu to match your use and pick a model path configuration that keeps the guitar separate from the keyboard for independent processing until you are ready to mix.

Good luck,

Martin

For beast results I would

- connect the keyboard outputs to the HD500 cd/MP3 input

- connect the speakers to the Hd500 outputs (e.g. Headphones or 1/4")

- connect the HD500 to the computer via USB

- make sure the Hd500 is configured as the computer's sound device for audio input and output

Here's what I do:

- Connect the guitar as usual to GUITAR IN or VARIAX.

- Connect the keyboard to FX RETURN (mono or stereo).

- In the patch, use Path A for the guitar amp model and the guitar's effects.

- Insert the FX LOOP in Path B.

- Use the mixer block to pan the guitar and keyboard left, right, or center.

I use the FX Loop to add my keyboard in as a stereo pair of 1/4 lines (as revans does) except that I place the FX block last or nearly last in the FX chain.  Gives a bit of control over the levels, and the option of moving it wherever I want.

Started doing this when I had an old '90s keyboard, because it would allow me add Amplifier effects or Rotary, Compression etc if I wanted using the HD.  Now I have a Motif with all of that built in and more I am only placing it last in the chain to avoid bringing a mixer with me because my PA speaker is single channel. 

The way i would hook this up is-trs cable 1/4 in. on 1 end 1/8 in on the other end plug 1/4 in into headphone jack on the keyboard and 1/8 in into aux. on the HD500.This is the way i have mine hooked up to my T.C. helicon VL3 and it works fine just remember you need a TRS cable.  Cal