Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Looking for advice on good home speaker solution

MartinDorr

Line 6's l2's seem a good sounding match but an expensive (and large) overkill, I think.

What are currently the best options for a good sounding stereo home solution?

Active studio monitors?

Small stereo solid state amp with passive speakers?

I realize there is lots of info spread throughout older threads.

Looking for any new insight and/or experience on the topic.

Thanks,

Martin

If you want studio monitors, I am using Presonus Eris 8's that I really like, and got new for around $200 apiece on a discounted price deal. They are fairly large, and are not designed for gigging, but are great monitors. The also have a 5" size in that model. If you want speakers that are reasonably priced, but are giggable, I hear good things about Alto TS110A'S & TS112A's, but haven't used them myself.

If you want studio monitors, I am using Presonus Eris 8's that I really like, and got new for around $200 apiece on a discounted price deal. They are fairly large, and are not designed for gigging, but are great monitors. The also have a 5" size in that model. If you want speakers that are reasonably priced, but are giggable, I hear good things about Alto TS110A'S & TS112A's, but haven't used them myself.[/size]

I have no intentions to gig with them (pure home use). Not sure whether to just focus on good, medium studio monitors or somewhat cheaper, but larger ones to get goo guitar sound support. Have no experience with studio monitors.

I think as long as you can find something that is full range and flat response you should get good sound. I do however have some major love for the L2 speakers (I own three of them).

-Max

I understand the love as I have done some comparisons in the local Guitar center and the l2s stood out in both clarity and sound dispersion. There stuido sound guy even liked them (grudgingly) because he was not a big fan of Line 6 equipment in general. Did not check out the Alto's as guitarno suggested.

Thanks for feedback. Will see what others come back with other active speaker choices.

Martin

I just went thru this with a buddy of mine. We spent about 2 hours listening to various powered monitors at the local GC and ultimately walked out with a pair of Yamaha HS8s. To my ear, they sounded the best in the “under $400 each†category. The HS5s are also good (with less bass extension) at $200 each.

If you can, go have a listen.

Thanks for all the feedback. Looks like an accumulation of web reviews and user opinions will put me in the Yamaha camp for the best price / value / sound ballance. The HS5s and HS8s got mentioned a lot, but I read even more good things about the MSP5/7s including from the Kemper camp using it with their profilers just like you would with an HD.

Only other contenders are the Presonus e5/8s at a lower price point. Not so sure the savings are worth it

I only have small room and are concerned that the larger speakers may emphasize the bass too much, but I may just worry about nothing and miss out on the lows the 7 and 8" speakers would produce. I may just have to order 2 pairs and swallow the return shipping $$s.

Still not quite decided and collecting feedback though.

I thought I needed the bigger monitors, until I got some M-Audio Bx5's on some random sale Guitar Center had, and they are quite loud - but they are not a great speaker, over emphasizes bass.

Dialing in your tones can be a lot like mixing, you don't want speakers to over or under exaggerate the low end - your tones will all either be too bassy, or not enough. I like them for watching movies and casual listening; for what I paid, they are just fine.

I was looking at the Yamaha HS5 and HS8, those are reported to be extremely even / neutral, as in they shouldn't give you too much or too little bass.

If you can, even if you do not intend to buy there, it does help to go to a Guitar Center or Best Buy, anywhere that you can take a look at what that actual size of the 5 vs 8 is, in terms of how much bigger the actual monitor enclosure gets. And for a listen, so you can hear the sense of volume. Take a closer look at the back of the monitors, figure out what kind of inputs you have and if they have any EQ controls, or "room shaping" settings.

My M-Audio monitors just have the standard inputs, 1/4" XLR, but no EQ or shaping controls, so that isn't ideal. I also don't have them mounted or padded properly, which doesn't help. So alot of the experience comes down to more than just the speaker choice. Make sure you have a decent stand or means to pad / isolate them from a surface - IE, not on the shelf or desk directly.

KRK's are typically reviewed to be extra bassy. Someone was raving about JBL's LSR 305 mid-price 5" monitor, not sure how it fares or compares against the Yamaha HS, other than that they are $50 less /each.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LSR305

I was also interested in the M-Audio "three way" M3-6 monitors, but I didn't end up going with them, just spent that $ elsewhere on a bunch of other random stuff, and only recently got back to working on the home studio. I still like the way they look, but the way the doubled up the two speakers to make the three way seems a bit odd, not sure how these would do with a POD.. The reviews are mixed, and a lot of the complaints have to do with the tweeter hissing or other high frequency undesirable noise. Might not be able to handle extended rocking out with a POD.. 

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/M3-6

Basically, it got to the point where for the price, instead of buying a pair of expensive home use monitors,  I bought a pair of L2t speakers.. Not exactly the most "budget friendly" choice, but they are quite amazing as studio / home monitors, have decent EQ controls, and then I can take them to rehearsal or stage, and have the same tones..