Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Dt25 vs other combo amps w/ pod hd500x

thomaswhudson

Might be a dumb question but using 4 cable method vs L6 link to a dt25.. same or different.. better or worse or just different? I am trying to decide if the dt25 is the deal for me or should i go with some other tube amp and use the 4 cable method. Will i run into issues with one or the other.. sound wise what is better etc. 

I just want some input before i push the button and order this dt25. 

the question is not dumb but using 4cm with a DT25 and a POD is just plain dumb.  The only reason one would ever use the 4cm is to use the tube preamp of your amp instead of the amp sims in the POD.  Since the DT uses the exact same amp sims and cab/mic models as the POD and is fully designed to integrate with the POD using the L6 link you would be nuts to add all that complexity and potential noise and lose the benefits of integration.

Here is what the DT brings to the table in connection with the POD HD500(x).

The power section of the DT is configurable. So I can set to say a Class A, Penatode etc.... or any other combo I like. The original amps the POD models has those settings coded to it. So when I change from Class A to amp that would have originally been a Class A/B on the POD with the L6 link, the DT changes it settings to fit. PLUS you can modifiy them on your patch to be whatever.  Other amps don't have that intergration. 

Now can you get a great tone of POD HD500(x) using the 4cm or if you don't care about the other amps pre-amp, just going into the amps effects return. Yes sure you can. But what ever that amps power setup is, that what it's going to be. That might not be bad thing, if you really like the amp's tone and sound. The POD 4cm with an normal combo amp, is good where you: 1. Really like the Combo amp as it is, it just works for you.  And 2. where you want to use the PODs effects and maybe ocassionaly one of it's amp models for something special. If you NEVER want to use the POD modeled amps, I would think a M13 would fit you better, but I'm not real familar with them to know how good the effects them are. I assume they are on-par with the POD in the effects only area.

Yeah, with the DT using the L6Link connection, you basically get the benefits of four cable method with way fewer cables; two to be precise. (one VDI cable or 1/4" guitar cable + one AES/EBU cable)

When you use L6Link, and choose the "pre" amp models in the HD500 programming, you are basically setting it up to run from guitar to effects to the preamp of the amp model, then to post effects, then to the power amp of the DT25.

I liked mine so much I bought a second one to run dual amp models, wet/dry rigs, and stereo. 

I use the JTV59, so I also split the variax mag pickups into one amp model chain, and the variax models into the other amp model chain, and pan them left/right, so each DT25 gets it's own signal. Very cool way of layering similar tones to get a more 'full' sound. The mags and models are just a little different, so if you send them into two copies of the same amp model with similar settings, it does a cool sound merging of the two.

Using a single amp model and two DT25's also gives you the option (using L6Link) to send one DT the "dry" amp model feed (pre amp model FX + amp model) and send the other DT the "wet" tone, of the pre+amp+post effects.

I guess the Line6Link is the main selling point for me; I really dig the way these pieces work together.

One note: If you do get the DT amp, and down the road need to re-tube and bias it - STICK to the Line6 recommended Electro-Harmonix tubes. I am in the midst of taking my amps back to the shop to get the JJ's tubes removed that I just had them installed, and then read about / found out shortly after that the Bogner design of these DT amps requires use of the Electro Harmonix tubes; and that they "don't like other tubes"...

It's not the kind of thing you think about, until you realize that most normal tube amps can handle a variety of tube options from various brands. The DT amps - stick with the EHX tubes... 

One more thing; the XLR out from the back of the DT25 sounds awesome!! I use it for sending my signal to the mixer live, at rehearsal, for recording. It's been quite a nice feature. There are some lengthy threads discussing various folks experience with changing tubes, and such. At first I thought the EH tube spec was specific to the DT50's; but for the power tubes, it also applies to the DT25.

The DT25 uses two EL84 power tubes, and a single 12AX7 tube. That is typically a preamp tube, but does not function as such in the DT25. This is where the DT25 and DT50 are slightly different - the DT50's come stock with two EH EL34 tubes, and two EH 12AX7 tubes. The DT25 comes with the EH EL84 tubes, but has a Chinese 12AX7.

Apparently it's the power tubes that are more crucial - Line6/Bogner have a bias spec for the amp tech guys to follow when changing tubes and rebiasing; and that spec only works for the EH tubes. I mean, my amps still work, they sound ok - I just figured I would change them back now before I cause some other problem needlessly by using non-specified JJ tubes or some other tube brand.

So yeah, learn from my over-eager desire to "customize" the tone of my DT25's... You can make these sound like practically any amp, so what you want is a tube which can handle the various power amp configurations that the Bogner stuff does, when it's changing amp power typologies.

Definitely a way cool amp, and an excellent pairing with the HD500x.

If I wasn't using the other Line6 gear already; I'd probably be looking at one of the new US made Supro re-issues!
Might still take a closer look at those one day,when I have some spare $$$. I also really like lower watt Mesa Boogie tube amps; been using one in studio, and it's killer. Dead quiet, no hum, no buzz, no noise. Records great!

Has nowhere near the number of options that this Line6 gear does; but all comes down to what you want it to do for you.

Cheers!

@thomaswhudson,

Fyi:  I went from a Marshall JVM410H (tube head) + Digitech GSP1101 (modeler + floor controller) connected 4CM. With MIDI capability in the JVM and the GSP1101 via preset I could select 1 of 4 amp channels (clean through filthy and everything between), and effects chain. To that time it was everything I ever wanted and needed.

Then came the Line6 POD HD500, and then the DT amps, with the L6 link to connect them. The POD preamps + DT power amp topology control (Fender/Marshall/Vox/Mesa for example) provides everything I need and want. I sold off the Marshall JVM, it just was not needed anymore. I got it all (the Marshall) back plus a lot more with the POD HD + DT + L6 Link.

@thomaswhudson,

Fyi:  I went from a Marshall JVM410H (tube head) + Digitech GSP1101 (modeler + floor controller) connected 4CM. With MIDI capability in the JVM and the GSP1101 via preset I could select 1 of 4 amp channels (clean through filthy and everything between), and effects chain. To that time it was everything I ever wanted and needed.

Then came the Line6 POD HD500, and then the DT amps, with the L6 link to connect them. The POD preamps + DT power amp topology control (Fender/Marshall/Vox/Mesa for example) provides everything I need and want. I sold off the Marshall JVM, it just was not needed anymore. I got it all (the Marshall) back plus a lot more with the POD HD + DT + L6 Link.

That is kinda my expectations.