Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Ghost notes in Drop tunings

For what it's worth, the ghost note(s) aren't an issue if I use my 500X to force a tuning to a particular model.  I only notice ghost notes if I'm using the local controls on my 89F.

Well that's a new one...and it makes even less sense than the usual complaints. No matter how they're triggered, the alt tunings originate at the JTV. Whether it's done manually or by the POD should have no impact at all. An alt tuning is either engaged, or it isn't. Can't see why it would matter how it gets turned on...weird.

• Upvote 1

Only thing I can think of is that somehow the mag signal is getting through as well as the alt tuned model.  The VDI cable carries both.  It's up to the Pod to use or not use the Mag signal.

I've wonder about this one. My JTV seems to do this as well. It's not real noticable when you are just a semi-tone differnet but any further and it become a big problem.  But I had my guitar setup recently by a local luither, yea new JTV and it had 3 high frets! Anyway this guys doesn't do the digital stuff but can really setup a guitar.  I was showing him the Variax side and the alternate tunings using a small homebuild type of tweed amp in his shop, to my astonsiment the alternate tunings were dang near pefect on that rig.  So I cam home and plug in and the Ghost notes are back! So I roll the amp channel volume all the way down and turn up my headphones. Sure enought I can still hear just a bit of mags, very faintly.  So I plugged my my Strat, can I got the same thing, just a hint of the guitar when the volume is supposed to be all the way down.  Thinking there has to something in the POD itself that is not turning all the way off when it's supposed to, been watching this tread about that. Gotta try setting the tuning on the patch so see if that solves it.

Only thing I can think of is that somehow the mag signal is getting through as well as the alt tuned model.  The VDI cable carries both.  It's up to the Pod to use or not use the Mag signal.

That's independent of how the alt tuning is triggered, though. He said that there are no ghost notes when the POD forces a tuning, but they appear if he manually selects one on the gutiar itself. In both scenarios, the VDI is still carrying the two signals. Why would it make any difference where the alt tuning command originates?

I've wonder about this one. My JTV seems to do this as well. It's not real noticable when you are just a semi-tone differnet but any further and it become a big problem.  But I had my guitar setup recently by a local luither, yea new JTV and it had 3 high frets! Anyway this guys doesn't do the digital stuff but can really setup a guitar.  I was showing him the Variax side and the alternate tunings using a small homebuild type of tweed amp in his shop, to my astonsiment the alternate tunings were dang near pefect on that rig.  So I cam home and plug in and the Ghost notes are back! So I roll the amp channel volume all the way down and turn up my headphones. Sure enought I can still hear just a bit of mags, very faintly.  So I plugged my my Strat, can I got the same thing, just a hint of the guitar when the volume is supposed to be all the way down.  Thinking there has to something in the POD itself that is not turning all the way off when it's supposed to, been watching this tread about that. Gotta try setting the tuning on the patch so see if that solves it.

Unfortunately, the only real way to test this particular theory is to disconnect the mags completely...which obviously requires some surgery. But at least we'd have an answer...

Either way though, it won't solve a blessed thing for the original problem the OP had/has above, however which is all palm-muting induced mechanical cross-talk between adjacent strings and piezo saddles...you can yank the mags right out of the gutiar, and it won't make that problem go away. It's a physical issue, and a (current) limitation of the tech. I'd love for somebody smarter than me to come up with a solution...but I don't see one coming anytime soon.

Physics is such a hinderance in the world...reminded of it every time I drop my keys trying to get in the front door...damn gravity. :P

Unfortunately, the only real way to test this particular theory is to disconnect the mags completely...which obviously requires some surgery. But at least we'd have an answer...

Either way though, it won't solve a blessed thing for the original problem the OP had/has above, however which is all palm-muting induced mechanical cross-talk between adjacent strings and piezo saddles...you can yank the mags right out of the gutiar, and it won't make that problem go away.

True, I think my test since I was getting a touch of signal all the way down, even with a normal Strat would be to use the alternate tunings using a standard cable instead of the VDI.  That way if I'm on the Variax side that is all that should be being sent to the POD.  Unfortunally I can't try right now, my JTV is in pieces waiting for a new peizo insert to come from GraphTech.

True, I think my test since I was getting a touch of signal all the way down, even with a normal Strat would be to use the alternate tunings using a standard cable instead of the VDI.  That way if I'm on the Variax side that is all that should be being sent to the POD.  Unfortunally I can't try right now, my JTV is in pieces waiting for a new peizo insert to come from GraphTech.

That won't rule anything out... the 1/4" carries both the mag and modeled signal too. You can use either models or mags no matter how it's connected, you just can't control anything on the guitar with the POD wihtout the VDI. If the cause really is that some mag signal is making it through along with the piezo signal, then the problem would be with the POD, as Charlie said. The only definitive test would be to eliminate any and all mag signal from the escaping the guitar...and there's only one way to do that. If "ghost notes" are still present in that scenario, only then could you rule out mag signal as the cause.

I never saw them say they'd work perfectly, however I do agree that paying 1k for something that has a bit of an error rate is a bit ridiculous. 

I do think Line 6 needs to up their quality control, especially on a product like these guitars. 

The thing is that I don't think the piezo crosstalk would really qualify for a concern. As I said, it is what it is, because of physics, and it's not something you could even take out 100% if it there was some variable to controlling crosstalk.

It was just something I thought was a huge issue because I never had a setting on my 600 where I'd notice it much until now.

I can't even figure out which side of the fence yer on there Clay-Man!!!!!!!

You thought that the Variax's where "GOLD" until you actually got one. 

Now you're returning one 'cause you where unhappy, but you're still not satisfied with the one you have??? You might ask for the returned one back??? Now the crosstalk doesn't even qualify as a concern either.

Now you didn't expect them to work perfectly but you bought one anyway????

And after all, you knew it was your palm muting that was causing the problem in the first place.

Now it's not Line6's  fault that the alt tunings don't work properly, "it's matter of physics".

Then you close with an opinion of poor quality control by Line6

LOL!!!  LOL!!!  LOL!!!

You could write soap opera scripts if the guitar thingie don't work out for 'ya.

Come-on!!!! Don't take this seriously.....it's just a observation on my part....take it with a little humor. :rolleyes:  as intended

Remember, You can sit on the fence, but you can't sit on both sides at the same time.

Axe Murder Inc.

• Downvote 1

Now you're returning one 'cause you where unhappy, but you're still not satisfied with the one you have??? You might ask for the returned one back??? Now the crosstalk doesn't even qualify as a concern either.

And after all, you knew it was your palm muting that was causing the problem in the first place.

Now it's not Line6's fault that the alt tunings don't work properly, "it's matter of physics".

LOL!!! LOL!!! LOL!!!

You could write soap opera scripts if the guitar thingie don't work out for 'ya.

Come-on!!!! Don't take this seriously.....it's just a observation on my part....take it with a little humor. :rolleyes: as intended

Remember, You can sit on the fence, but you can't sit on both sides at the same time.

Axe Murder Inc.

Uh oh...them's fightin' words, lol. I'm gonna buckle up :)

Uh oh...them's fightin' words, lol. I'm gonna buckle up :)

It was kinda like watching the tide go in and out and then wondering, " Where does the water go anyway ? :huh:

Love me.......Love me not.....Love me.....Love me not.......Love..,  AHHH..    Now where was I ????

all in good fun......

This has nothing to do with the magnetic blend. 2 of us already stated what is going on.

You palm mute, your hand will form a bridge for the strings to bleed into the other piezos. You do a Drop D tuning, palm mute the A string, you'll hear a G note under the A note, because the A string vibrations is traveling from the A string, through your palm, and to the E string piezo, hence the sound bleed.

The reason why I'm not holding this against Line 6 is because they can't do ANYTHING about this. It's a physical problem, a problem with using piezos. 

With things like mechanical noise bleeding through into the piezos, string sound bleeding into the other piezos isn't very surprising.

Now it's not Line6's  fault that the alt tunings don't work properly, "it's matter of physics".

LOL!!!  LOL!!!  LOL!!!

Come-on!!!! Don't take this seriously.....it's just a observation on my part....take it with a little humor. :rolleyes:  as intended

Axe Murder Inc.

Your passive aggressive comment is ridiculous and shows you have bad reading skills. Perhaps if your ability to actually read posts was as good as your skill to make unwarranted, blind criticism, you'd understand where I'm coming from.

Let me break it down for you:

I've had a Variax 600 for years now, and it had none of the problems I ran into, none that I've noticed. I wanted to upgrade.

Your comment about poor quality control was pulled from a completely different topic, and had nothing to do with the ghost note problem.

The ghost note problem is something Line 6 can't control, so I'm not going to hold that against them. Get it? It's called being fair.

The problem with the plinky sound BS from oversensitive piezos, IS a quality control issue, and I have the right to complain about it. 

Like really, how hard is it to do a test run of the guitar to find out if one of the strings sounds off. Just a minute? Yeah. Just a minute. You know, picking all the strings and hearing a "DINGGG" or "CLANK" out of all the other strings going "BUMMMM".

And how dare I ask Line 6 to have a little better quality control over the piezos they install into their guitars, right? The source of sound for the modeling that could potentially break the usefulness of the guitar? I mean what are we going to do, play every string except that one? That's totally what we paid for.

I love the Variax, and now that I have a proper Variax, I'm happy with it. The ghost note problem is barely a thing. Maybe it can be controlled to some extent, but it's hardly anything you can do anything about, because it's your hand creating a bridge for the vibrations to bleed into the other piezo pickups.

The plinking noise is an issue that can be resolved, and I'd like Line 6 to at least try, because many people run into this problem, and those people shouldn't have to say to theirselves "Should I send back this guitar or live with spending 1k for a lesser guitar?". That's not cool.

Your passive aggressive comment is ridiculous and shows you have bad reading skills. Perhaps if your ability to actually read posts was as good as your skill to make unwarranted, blind criticism, you'd understand where I'm coming from.

Let me break it down for you:

I've had a Variax 600 for years now, and it had none of the problems I ran into, none that I've noticed. I wanted to upgrade.

Your comment about poor quality control was pulled from a completely different topic, and had nothing to do with the ghost note problem.

The ghost note problem is something Line 6 can't control, so I'm not going to hold that against them. Get it? It's called being fair.

The problem with the plinky sound BS from oversensitive piezos, IS a quality control issue, and I have the right to complain about it. 

Like really, how hard is it to do a test run of the guitar to find out if one of the strings sounds off. Just a minute? Yeah. Just a minute. You know, picking all the strings and hearing a "DINGGG" or "CLANK" out of all the other strings going "BUMMMM".

And how dare I ask Line 6 to have a little better quality control over the piezos they install into their guitars, right? The source of sound for the modeling that could potentially break the usefulness of the guitar? I mean what are we going to do, play every string except that one? That's totally what we paid for.

I love the Variax, and now that I have a proper Variax, I'm happy with it. The ghost note problem is barely a thing. Maybe it can be controlled to some extent, but it's hardly anything you can do anything about, because it's your hand creating a bridge for the vibrations to bleed into the other piezo pickups.

The plinking noise is an issue that can be resolved, and I'd like Line 6 to at least try, because many people run into this problem, and those people shouldn't have to say to theirselves "Should I send back this guitar or live with spending 1k for a lesser guitar?". That's not cool.

So much for your sense of humor.........?

and by the way, the quotes are from your posts on this topic.

Plus your nasty opening comment is uncalled for........relax and laugh a little.

Sorry if you took it the wrong way.

I'll try not to offend you anymore.....dinggg...clank, bummmm.      

:( plink

did you miss the part where I said it was all in fun???

Whoooeee.......! 

So much for your sense of humor.........?

and by the way, the quotes are from your posts on this topic.

Plus your nasty opening comment is uncalled for........relax and laugh a little.

Sorry if you took it the wrong way.

I'll try not to offend you anymore.....dinggg...clank, bummmm.      

:( plink

I'm sorry, but it sounds like you're making fun of my problems. I paid 1k for a guitar, and that's the highest I've paid for, and getting possibly bad guitars out of the box is frustrating, and I'm just trying to use these forums on whether or not I should send the guitars back or not.

My first guitar I thought had a problem because there was crackling noise in the audio in certain settings. Little did I know this was just a glitch in the firmware. I sent back a perfectly good guitar.

The second had inconsistent string sounds and had a noisy tremolo.

My current guitar is good, but sometimes it sounds like the mechanical noise bleeds into the pickups more than the other Variaxes I played. Maybe it's my imagination? I hope so.

I apologize, but even if you said you were joking, it did sound very aggressive and mocking. 

Also keep in mind, I changed my view on the situation after a while. That's why it looks like I'm "on the fence".

I have never noticed the ghost note problem before, but that's because I never used Drop D to do chugging metal riffs, it was always Drop A# or something low like that, where the ghost notes don't have room to resonate.

I did find out that my Variax 600 actually does have the same problem.

The Third guitar I got does seem to be a little bit better than the second, but that could easily just be my imagination.

I really love the JTV now, it's just, sometimes this guitar scares me on how many problems is can have, and that's why Line 6 needs to up their quality control, ESPECIALLY on that piezo quack problem.

There's no excuse on not being able to plug a finished Variax in and hear for any strings that sound inconsistent to the rest. I know they print in their thing about "tone being subjective" but there's a difference between tone, and a guitar making a noise it's not supposed to. It's like if it made a fart noise and they said "well, some people like fart noises, they think it's funny!" and passed it off even though the finish result of a Variax isn't supposed to make that noise in the first place.

I'm not saying Line 6 is bad, I'm just saying they need to focus on fixing that problem and not ignore it. We shouldn't have posts about "why does my E string sound like a screaming duck". 

Check the sound of the piezos, if you find a bad one, swap it out for a better one. It's that simple for them to do.

I'm sorry, but it sounds like you're making fun of my problems. I paid 1k for a guitar, and that's the highest I've paid for, and getting possibly bad guitars out of the box is frustrating, and I'm just trying to use these forums on whether or not I should send the guitars back or not.

My first guitar I thought had a problem because there was crackling noise in the audio in certain settings. Little did I know this was just a glitch in the firmware. I sent back a perfectly good guitar.

The second had inconsistent string sounds and had a noisy tremolo.

My current guitar is good, but sometimes it sounds like the mechanical noise bleeds into the pickups more than the other Variaxes I played. Maybe it's my imagination? I hope so.

I apologize, but even if you said you were joking, it did sound very aggressive and mocking. 

Dude,

You've posted ALOT of stuff here on the JTV threads for a long, long,long time now. Tech, repair,set-up,tone patches, evaluated the guitars, etc. Most of it was made to sound like you owned one or that you were an expert on everything JTV"s, including Workbench HD .

Now that you have one though, it seems that you were caught by surprise with, and I quote" Everything that can go wrong with these things". One would have thought that with your vast knowledge on the subject that you would have been better prepaired for the task at hand ! Now if someone teases you a little about your "What the heck is going on here???" statements, your offended...............???  Some actual experiance will go a long way one would think.

Once again I apologize and I hope you like your new guitar. 

Axe Murder Inc.

Dude,

You've posted ALOT of stuff here on the JTV threads for a long, long,long time now. Tech, repair,set-up,tone patches, evaluated the guitars, etc. Most of it was made to sound like you owned one or that you were an expert on everything JTV"s, including Workbench HD .

Now that you have one though, it seems that you were caught by surprise with, and I quote" Everything that can go wrong with these things". One would have thought that with your vast knowledge on the subject that you would have been better prepaired for the task at hand ! Now if someone teases you a little about your "What the heck is going on here???" statements, your offended...............???  Some actual experiance will go a long way one would think.

Once again I apologize and I hope you like your new guitar. 

Axe Murder Inc.

Your skewing things I said which is ridiculous and I never said anything about the JTVs other than wanting one because I wanted to try the HD and Alt tuning abilities.

I can't believe you're being so aggressive over legit problems on a guitar as if I'm void of talking about it because I was expecting to get a JTV that didn't have any flukes? 

It's like ordering a ham sandwich and not getting ham and saying "BUT YOU PRAISED HAM SANDWICHES SO MUCH! NOW YOU DON'T LIKE IT?"

You're being absolutely ridiculous.

I have every right to complain about trivial problems with the JTV, the biggest offender being the piezo issue.

I never said these guitars are bad, I love the Variax, but I have every, single, right to say "This isn't right, there's a problem with my guitar" or else you might as well abolish this entire message board, because that's the whole point of this place.

Your skewing things I said which is ridiculous and I never said anything about the JTVs other than wanting one because I wanted to try the HD and Alt tuning abilities.

I can't believe you're being so aggressive over legit problems on a guitar as if I'm void of talking about it because I was expecting to get a JTV that didn't have any flukes? 

It's like ordering a ham sandwich and not getting ham and saying "BUT YOU PRAISED HAM SANDWICHES SO MUCH! NOW YOU DON'T LIKE IT?"

You're being absolutely ridiculous.

I have every right to complain about trivial problems with the JTV, the biggest offender being the piezo issue.

I never said these guitars are bad, I love the Variax, but I have every, single, right to say "This isn't right, there's a problem with my guitar" or else you might as well abolish this entire message board, because that's the whole point of this place.

?

You win........I quit

moving on

• Upvote 1