Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Looking for a 4 Channel mixer and speakers for HD500?

christufts

I am thinking about trying to find some cheap studio monitors and a little powered 4 channel mixer to plug my HD500 at home (like 25W or something) in order to get a somewhat normal sound like when I go straight into the board. So I can work with the EQ thru the HD500 and not thru a amp.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Value for dollar I think Behringer mixer products are quite good. Here's a candidate:

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/502.aspx

For studio monitors I think speaker size is the most important factor. Don't go below 5", and get the biggest you can afford. This market is highly competitive and you have lots of good choices. Lots of people here recommend Rockit monitors. If possible, take your MP3 player and some of your favorite songs and go to an audio store to listen to and compare some options.

If these options are over budget for you I think you'd be better off getting similar used products than buying inferior products brand new for a similar price.

That's right, for the mixer. Like I said, value for dollar. Of course if you want to spend more there's the Line 6 M20d, or many other intermediately priced mixers. 😉

For the purpose you describe I think the monitors are more important than the mixer. That's where I'd spend more $$.

Yeah but it isn't powered, so the monitors you buy will need to be. You're really not going to find a low powered mixer, the only real point of a powered mixer is to act as a PA, which 25W won't be worth jack.

I've a cheap Behringer mixer and it's fine. The monitors will cost more than that though.

• Upvote 1

+1 to previous post. I think you'll be better off with a less costly mixer and put your $$ into powered monitors, between 5" and 8" depending on budget.

Note: you did say studio monitors, right? If you want to move your setup frequently to different venues then we would have different recommendations for you.

unless you were planning on mics or other instruments, there is no real reason for a mixer at home.  Get the best powered speakers, studio or PA, you can afford and plug the HD500 straight into them.  Remember that to tweak a live tone you will need to have volume.  Your EQ at low volumes with small speakers will be way off when you try to go live in a real PA with the band...  Plus when we get the new firmware update with global EQ that should help a lot too...

+1 to all the above. I am planning on doing the same. My current monitor list is

Yamaha HS5/8

Yamaha MSP5/7

Presonus e5/8

Havent decided on exact model and size yet.

Excluded Rokit based scooped bass response. I am not in that kind of music wher this may be an advantage.

No need for a mixer.

unless you were planning on mics or other instruments, there is no real reason for a mixer at home. 

I don't agree. I use Roland CM-30 monitor with built-in mixer. I use several inputs - one for POD, one for PC (to play guitar lesson DVDs or YouTube videos), and one for iPad (to play along with a backing track). I have a drum machine plugged into POD's CD-IN as a metronome. Sure I could manage with fewer inputs, or use POD's CD-IN for all external sounds, but with a mixer it is much more convenient. If your processor has no CD-IN (e.g. AmpliFi/Firehawk, or a cheap Digitech RP90), then small mixer is a MUST. I used to have a small Behringer and it worked perfectly until I bought CM-30, which has a mixer built-in, so I sold Behringer to save some space on the table.

I don't agree.

Isn't that why I said unless you were planning on mics or other instruments?  lol...  even so, most of that can be done using just the POD, which the OP was asking about...  just trying to save him some cash and keep it simple...

Isn't that why I said unless you were planning on mics or other instruments?

A sort of. But "mics or other instruments" sound professional  :D  whether I'm saying that a mixer is a good thing for home application and for backing tracks (which are, basically, "other instruments" for most hobbyists). Anyway.