Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD 500 LCD Replacment

efortune

the first question is: 

is it the lcd or is it the cover, or is it both? 

I've never replaced anything on my pod. But I can tell you that replacing the screens on other devices is not cheap --- its mostly labor. Especially if you are using a manufacturer approved repair guy. 

But, just like anything else in life. 

Thanks to the internet, you can buy a $10 Chinese knockoff part and do the work yourself with a video you found on YouTube. 

Or you can pay to have a good, fully functional part replaced by a professional that has spent 30 years mastering his craft. 

Here is the LCD from FullCompass.  Price is reasonable.  Not sure what your level of skill is but it doesn't APPEAR to have any soldered connections.  It does have a ribbon cable that may be tricky to connect.  There are videos on YouTube for taking your POD apart and you should review them in detail to be sure you have the confidence to take it apart and put it back together again.  It is tricky but not really difficult.  Only you can make the decision to give it a go.  If you do, please take pictures along the way.  Not only for our benefit, but to help you get things put back the way they belong!  ;)

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/474570.html

http://www.fullcompass.com/product_image.php?imageid=208167

A few months ago I used some contact cleaner/lube from Radio Shack to clean my HD500 stomp switches and the lube leached into the layers of the display.  Looked horrible, and I thought it was ruined for good.  I had nothing to lose so I took the unit apart and found that the display is actually easy to remove once you get to it.  I peeled apart the layers and found a sheet of opaque backing paper to diffuse the side-lighting and it was soaked with lube.  I was able to clean it and the glass with isopropyl alchohol, button everything back up, and viola, it looked good as new.

Then the next day I turned it on again and the same thing happened again!!!  I think I didn't thoroughly clean the glass.  So once again, tore it apart, repeated, and now it's good.  What a pain.

All of this to say that if you have basic electronic repair skills, you should be able to replace it pretty easily.  No soldering, just screws and cables.

• Upvote 2

I ordered the screen through full compass, 4-6 week back order. It is a different part number than the one on the website so call if you need one. They were very helpful in getting me the right part. I have repaired several electronic devices, the plan is document, go slow, put it back together, and rock out. Feeling a good video on the screen replacement may help alot of people out so gonna try to put one up when I get the parts. Thank you all for the feedback.

As a side note my local authorized repair place said $175 to start, price from full compass including shipping $31.25

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Finally got the screen in from full compass and swapped out. Dis-assembly was pretty straight forward, lots of screws, hot glue, and plastic clips. The ribbon cable for the LCD is the only one that is soldered directly to the board, go figure. So after de-soldering the old one I got the new one soldered up with an extra pair of hands from a friend. Anyone with decent soldering skills and some patience should be able to pull this off. 

Now that it is up and running, I am totally stoked with the sound. Wish I would have just dished out the money for one instead of the boat load of pedal I used to drag around.

• Upvote 2

• 2 years later...