Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

StagescApe m20d

weird...So it doesn't work as the Advanced Manual describes?

Input Streaming Configuration
The M20d streams 20 inputs to your computer and a stereo stream back to the M20d as follows:
• Channels 1-16: M20d Mic/Line Inputs 1-16, pre-processing / pre fader
• Channels 17-18: M20d stereo Aux Input, pre-processing / pre-fader
• Channels 19-20: M20d stereo Main Outs, post-processing / post-fader
USB Stereo Return Stream:
The stereo return is streamed to the M20d’s stereo Aux Input (channels 17/18).
Note: In order to hear the stereo return, a Stage Icon Preset must be assigned to the Aux Input
using the M20d touchscreen UI. The Laptop preset is ideally suited for this purpose, and can be
found in the Stage Icon Gallery.
For USB audio streaming, you must download and install the Line 6 StageScape M20d
On that page you will find 3 drop down menus. On the All Products drop down menu select
StageScape M20d. On the All Software drop down menu select Drivers.
Select the OS of the computer you wish to use with your M20d. Once the download has completed,
find and run the StageScape M20d Drivers Installer, following the onscreen instructions.
In your DAW you will need to change your audio interface to ASIO StageScape M20d. Then create
new audio tracks in your DAW with inputs that correspond to the inputs on the M20d. Note: If
you are using the StageScape DX/MME driver, make sure that StageScape is selected as the
default audio device in Windows. Also, know that you will only get audio from inputs 1-2 if you are
recording with DX/MME.
The Windows StageScape M20d USB 2.0 audio driver uses WDM and ASIO, supported on 32
and 64 bit OS configurations. The Mac OS X StageScape M20d USB 2.0 audio driver uses Core
Audio, supported on 32 and 64 bit OS configurations.

In my experience it does work as described in the manual for recording. However, the M20d is not useful as a general audio interface to your DAW after the initial recording. The latency is too great; playback of the recorded tracks cannot be synchronized with overdubbing. Line 6 has already stated that they do not intend to make the M20d a general purpose audio interface.

thanks man...That was my impression that its purpose was directed as a live capture interface...I'm waiting on one to arrive and am very excited to get going with it...It's seems exactly perfect for what I need right now...16 discrete tracks of live capture with a few monitors mixes for the takes....no computer needed...This is will be a serious burden lifted for my workflow...

Note that the only processed tracks sent to the DAW are tracks 19 and 20, being the stereo mix of the processed sound comprised of tracks 1-18. Those individual tracks are recorded dry, for plugin post-processing and reamping in your DAW. The M20d is not useful as the reamping device due to the high latency.

Like you suggest, I do the live capture using an SD card in the M20d - no computer. Then import the individual tracks from the SD card to the computer/DAW when desired for the post processing.

I record almost every gig we do now and it works just as advertised.

It's pretty easy to drag/drop the tracks into Logic, change the sample rate and then mix down, burn, and e-mail back out to the band.  Pretty powerful tool.

The only bad news is that I've been recording so much that I go through a lot of computer storage!  You will fill up a hard drive pretty quickly if you're gigging every weekend.

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

Note that the only processed tracks sent to the DAW are tracks 19 and 20, being the stereo mix of the processed sound comprised of tracks 1-18. Those individual tracks are recorded dry, for plugin post-processing and reamping in your DAW. The M20d is not useful as the reamping device due to the high latency.

Like you suggest, I do the live capture using an SD card in the M20d - no computer. Then import the individual tracks from the SD card to the computer/DAW when desired for the post processing.

Is it possible to copy from SD card to computer using USB connection?