Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Wow the DT25 combo is loud!

thomaswhudson

For those of you who are/were worried that the dt25 would not be enough for practice or shows.. Do not fear. I had it just under half way and it cut through everything. The tone is great and it has plenty of umph. I probably will still get a cab for it. Oh and also its still pretty heavy to lug around. i will either put casters on it or i will just carry my portable hand truck with me. 

Just wanted to throw that out there. 

• Upvote 2

I like saving weight on the amps too....I tried every speaker you can imagine in my DT50 and DT25 and I found one that is one of the best guitar speakers i have ever heard....and the weight is 4.5 lbs...It might be too clean for some folks, but it does NOT sound like a Neo at all...

http://www.jensentone.com/jet_series/tornado_12

Learned long ago, espcially with tube amps you don't need lots of wattage to be loud. If you want squeakly clean tone at high volume, that's where you would want the high wattage. But if your like me and actually like the amp that starts breaks up at at high volume then a low wattage amp will get you there.

Played my DT25 combo outside unmic'ed in full band set. Setting on it was about half way up. 

For those of you who are/were worried that the dt25 would not be enough for practice or shows.. Do not fear. I had it just under half way and it cut through everything. The tone is great and it has plenty of umph. I probably will still get a cab for it. Oh and also its still pretty heavy to lug around. i will either put casters on it or i will just carry my portable hand truck with me. 

Just wanted to throw that out there. 

100% agree. And so does my lower/middle back! I totally tweaked my back loading the DT25 into the car yesterday.. It's manageable in weight, but don't underestimate the density; that little thing is heavy! And +1 to it's plenty loud too :)

I like saving weight on the amps too....I tried every speaker you can imagine in my DT50 and DT25 and I found one that is one of the best guitar speakers i have ever heard....and the weight is 4.5 lbs...It might be too clean for some folks, but it does NOT sound like a Neo at all...

http://www.jensentone.com/jet_series/tornado_12

Would you mind posting which speakers you've tried in your DT25, and what you didn't like about the original speaker? 

I think the speaker is the weak link in this amp too, and I have only tried one other speaker so far. 

Let's see...I am getting a little confused remembering what the stock speaker was...I have the DT50112 and the DT25 head and cab...I think it was the DT25 cab that had the OEM GH90 in it...DT50 was a Vintage 30...The DT50 412 is crossloaded with these two speakers types....I have to say using the two speakers together does sound pretty good. For my personal taste, I the Vintage 30 is a harsh speaker. I have 4 different ones and I have done all the break in stuff....I think what I really don't like is the Ice Pick peak....To harsh...The GH90 is actually a pretty decent speaker. If I were to choose, I would use a GH90 over a V30...but the reality for me is I don't much like them for myself...GH90, just is not clean enough for me...still has a Celestion flavor to it...just not into that for myself.

I have some older Madison 212 cabinets that I use with my combo amps...I have always liked EV12Ls...Years ago I settled on Madison Minstrels...They are about the same rating and the breakup is similar as there not very much...I also have some Madison Symphonies...Similar, but a little lower rating...I have around 2 of each of the Line 6 stock speakers dating back to the AX2. I have some Eminence PA speakers that came out of a Yamaha PA system...They are also a bit like the 12L vibe....I do not have an EV12L right now...I like how they sound, but they are just too heavy for me...Last is the Jenson Jet I mentioned...

Speakers are almost always weak links in amplifiers/cabs for me....Sorta like guitar pickups....I like to taylor the input and output source of my tone to my own taste. I can work with anything, but to get the gear to where I really like it, I end up changing quite a few things...

• Upvote 1

@spaceatl

Thanks for the input about the output! We agree on the V30 - I don't like the presence spike in them either. From what I've read, the 212 amps and cabs from L6 have one of each - GH90 and a V30. That might not be a bad pairing.

I have a DT25 112 combo, which is a lot of work to swap speakers in. I'm auditioning them in a 112 cab I have, and when I find the right one, I'll swap it in. The trouble is, with so little clearance between the amp chassis and the speaker (less than a 1/4 in some spots), speakers that aren't built exactly like Celstions might not fit. 

I'll also agree that the stock speaker isn't the worst I've heard, but it's a touch too peaky in the lower mids for my tastes. So far, the only other speaker I've tried is a Celestion G12H 75th 30 watter. It appeared to be a little to the other extreme in the mids - lacking them a bit.