Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

fx100 into amp return

mcbeddall

Is anybody using the fx100 into an amps effect return jack? I'm interested in knowing if you got good results, I couldn't get anything decent out of the hd500 going into a fender mustang amp but my Zoom G5 sounds great through it, I'll be returning to line 6 gear soon either with the fx100 or firehawk and I'll be running it into the fx return of the mustang amp, so I'm curious to see if anybody is getting good sounds with a similar set up

into an amps effect return jack? I'm interested in knowing if you got good results, I couldn't get anything decent out of the hd500 

When you used the HD500 in this manner, did you have it in studio/direct mode - or combo/poweramp?

Big difference in sound... I have used it in a similar manner in the past; into the FX return on a solid state Fender.

If you want to hear the full studio/direct tonal range, that's not the best way to go about doing it, but if you are trying to get to the sound of the amp in the room with you sound, then it works pretty well - but only in combo/poweramp mode - which disables the mic model and the room.

For studio/direct, get a full range flat response speaker system, you need a tweeter to make it sound good.

Now, how that relates to the other non-HD500(x) products - the FX100 does not appear to have those same output mode controls, but I don't know for sure what other options it has to allow for non mic model signals.

As for the Firehawk, no manual, no clue what output mode options it will offer.

I tried everything with the hd500 honestly, tried it through an alto powered speaker and blew it up cos I could never get it loud enough at rehearsals, tried different output options, tried it through an amp and got it loud enough but the clean sounds were really muddy, changed pickups tried different guitar's, everything anybody ever suggested on a forum, tried it all, it wasn't garbage just really close to how I wanted it to sound but not quite there. I was always really happy with my old pod XT live and hoped the hd500 would be better.

Anyhoo I'm really hoping the Firehawk will be what I've been looking for and I'm even more excited for it now after reading these replies, I know I can turn the cab off for going into an amp but like you say I have no idea what global settings will be available, hopefully just one that works lol half my problem with the hd500 was that there was too much to mess with, I mean I was messing about with the input level for over a week back when I had it!

I mostly use my AMPLIFi Table Top and when I had the FX100 plugged into the effects loop of my Mesa Boogie.  The sound is excellent.  There are no issues at all with the sound quality.  Just for fun I plugged the Table Top into the effects loop of my Line 6 Flextone III.  It worked, it sounded ok but was a little weird using a modeling amp with modeling controller.  I also have a Mustang III, but I have not tried using the Table Top in that loop as that too is totally redundant.  I imagine it would be weird too.

Generally speaking, you will get great results with the FX100/Table Top when plugged into an amp effects loop.  The cleaner the channel, the better the results.

Have fun!!

I get great sounds with my Zoom G5 through the mustang effects return, I don't use the modelling in the fender amp at all but if you think about it makes a lot of sense, I mean the power amp and speaker in the mustang will have been designed and selected to provide the best results when the fender models are put through them so should sound good with other modellers too, it colours the sound a little bit but usually turning cab sims off gets it really close to how it sounds in headphones

YES!!  It is noticable....

When using the FX100/TT in the effects loop with a Tube Amp, you get the tone and feel of the tubes, and the AMPLIFi very cleanly lies on top of that.  I think the AMPLIFi effects are best (modulation, delay and reverb), but the stompboxes are pretty good too.  As for the amp modeling, I personally find all of the Marshall amps to be just “okay†(except for the 1992 Brit Gain J-900 Clean and Dist, which I find quite good) and all the other models to be very good.  The Fender-type, Vox-type and boutique-type are excellent and sound really, really good.  I think this is personal taste and would vary from amp-to-amp-to-amp.  But yes, the tube amp sound of the Mesa along with the Line 6 AMPLIFi FX100/TT is an awesome combination.  I think it’s the best of both worlds.  To be honest with you, after using the AMPLIFi Table Top, I think I’d almost rather just get an M13 and forgo the amp modeling all together.  If you think about it, why would you want to model something other than a Mesa amp with a Mesa amp?  But it is fun to be able to do so.  I think the Table Top is going to be more of a rehearsal tool used directly into the PA and powered speakers in the long run.  But for home use into the Mesa, it's all fun and games!!  I'm really happy with the sounds I can get.  I just need to practice and play better!!  My equipment is NOT the limiting factor; my fingers are :( .

I’m curious about your AMPLIFi and Mustang III rig.  What program do you set your Mustang too when using the Line 6 with it?  I don’t see “NO AMP†as an option, so you must be using a very clean tone.  Which one?  Also, are you plugged into the effects loop or are you in front of the amp?

Many thanks!!

With the mustang I run into its fx return, this puts the processed signal from guitar/floor fx into the amp after all the fender modelled amps so the mustang models are not colouring the sound (i can cycle through patches on the fender and the sound coming out the speaker doesn't change at all, but you have to update to the latest firmware to position the fx loop post models on the mustang)

I don't have an fx100 yet and to be honest I've now made my mind up and I'm going with the Firehawk, Im using a zoom g5 at the moment and I get a really nice sound when played through the mustang, my only criticism would be that the sound is a bit focused, like directly in front of the speaker sounds nice punchy and bright but if you move a metre to the left or right it sounds much more bassy and less defined, but it is only a 1X12 combo.

I will probably keep my eye open for a decent tube amp used though in the meantime