Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Spider IV 120 speaker wires colors -/+ identify which color is which?

lumper

Hi all,

I cant find a schematic or drawing so I am going to just ask.

On a Spider IV 120 combo 2x10 amp, on the back, each speaker has two wires running to it.

One side has a black and a red wire, and the other speaker has a black and a white wire running to it.

I need to know which is positive and which is negative.

Common sense tells me that the black wire is ground and the red/white wires are the positive.

But since there is a white wire on one speaker and a red wire on the other I paused to make sure.

I dont have a tester.

All I can think of is they wanted to make sure left and right were identified so they used a white on one and a red on the other, marking them both as positive but this way you can remember left or right.

Does anyone know for sure or have any thoughts on this?

I would really appreciate the info if anyone knows, thanks

Matt

I am doing this mod tomorrow afternoon either way, so if anyone has any input I would appreciate it.

I have a pretty good handle on it and I am pretty sure about the wires but just in case I thought it prudent to ask here where someone else may have one and know from having replaced speakers or done other work in there in the past.

Thanks again for any input,

Matt

It doesn't matter which is positive and which is ground as long as you wire both speakers to the plugs the same way.  So just look in the cabinet and check to see if the red and white wires are hooked to the same terminals on each speaker (left or right).

Well I got it all together, turns out that I have a blown channel I am thinking, one of the outputs does nothing and the other works but has a distortion to it, so I thought I might have blown my speakers but I think it is something in the pre amp.

Everything is connected right and it is the same as when it was acting up before I decided to mod it.

Ill have to buy a head for now to keep going.

The cab I am running it to is great so I am still happy with the set up, I had just hoped 8$ would have allowed me to use my chassis.

Matt

PS the red/white are the hots, the blacks are ground

Well, last update.

I took apart the connections again and saw that they could be more snug, I tightened them up and low and behold it works, tomorrow I will test it at a higher volume, but just now it was coming through all 4 speakers and sounding very good.

Matt

I attached a couple pics of the finished product.

post-1868234-0-97453200-1425759669_thumb.jpg

post-1868234-0-46739800-1425759690_thumb.jpg