Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How do you use workbench and a Variax?

Well I feel like an idiot for asking this question, but how exactly do use workbench. I know you have to plug in something to the input of the guitar in order to use the battery. So by doing that, where do you get your sound? Also when I plug my variax  into logic Pro X the battery works for a split second then automatically turns off. I'm guessing the only way to use a variax and record with it, Is to use a POD? Which I have. I really feel stupid for asking this question lol

You need a USB connection to your PC to use Workbench.  You can do that with a Pod or with the USB interface that goes with Workbench.  That interface is sold with all JTV Variax guitars but you have to buy one if you have one of the older models. You still need to plug your guitar into an amp if you don't have a pod to hear any sound.  It won't come through the PC.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

I only use Workbench to make changes to the models in my Variax.  For example, with my JTV, the string volume of the models is very inconsistent and needs to be adjusted so the strings are all closer to the same loudness. This probably has something to do with the individual piezo pickups in the bridge, but whatever.  So I have the USB/Variax cable plugged in at the same time I have my regular guitar cable plugged into a Yamaha THR, which is also connected to the computer via USB. So both the Workbench and 1/4" guitar cable are plugged in. 

To get any guitar sound into the computer, you need an interface.  Your POD can function as one (as my Yamaha THR does).  Or you could use a dedicated USB or Firewire audio interface, which you could plug in your guitar direct (to use effects and amp modeling in software).  Or you can plug a mic into an audio interface and record your real amp. What I like about the Variax is that you can plug it in just like any guitar, yet it has unmatched sonic variety. 

Well I feel like an idiot for asking this question, but how exactly do use workbench. I know you have to plug in something to the input of the guitar in order to use the battery. So by doing that, where do you get your sound? Also when I plug my variax  into logic Pro X the battery works for a split second then automatically turns off. I'm guessing the only way to use a variax and record with it, Is to use a POD? Which I have. I really feel stupid for asking this question lol

1. Fully charge the Variax battery.
  2. Connect Variax interface box to PC via USB.
  3. Install and run Line6 Monkey. Let it update the driver & FW for the interface (if necessary).
  4. Connect Variax to interface.
  5. Plug a 1/4" cable into guitar and into your amp (or mixer, or whatever you want to get the sound from). This powers on the guitar. Now both lights on the interface should be green.
  6. These substeps are only needed the first time you connect the Variax:
    1. Make sure Monkey can see the guitar.
    2. Use Monkey to install the correct version of Workbench for your guitar:

- Workbench HD for Variax firmware 2.0 or higher.

- Workbench for Variax firmware 1.x

3. Quit Monkey. 
  7. Launch Workbench.

Now, when you make changes in Workbench, you should hear the new sound through your amp or whatever.

Hope this helps.

1. Plug a 1/4" cable into guitar and into your amp (or mixer, or whatever you want to get the sound from). This powers on the guitar. Now both lights on the interface should be green

That's why I read forums! I thought my USB interface was broken, but I have a HD500x so didn't need it.  Didn't know you had to plug in a 1/4" to force the battery on when using USB.

That's why I read forums! I thought my USB interface was broken, but I have a HD500x so didn't need it.  Didn't know you had to plug in a 1/4" to force the battery on when using USB.

Variax editing through a POD with Workbench HD only works with Variax firmware 2.1. If you're using the POD as the computer interface, that might be the problem. Use the Monkey to check the guitar firmware, and update to 2.1 if needed.

The POD firmware might need to be updated, too; I don't know. Monkey can do that too. Make sure you back up your presets before you update it, though!

Variax editing through a POD with Workbench HD only works with Variax firmware 2.1. If you're using the POD as the computer interface, that might be the problem. Use the Monkey to check the guitar firmware, and update to 2.1 if needed.

The POD firmware might need to be updated, too; I don't know. Monkey can do that too. Make sure you back up your presets before you update it, though!

I have firmware 2.1.. Throught the POD HD I can use workbench fine.  The USB that came with it didn't seem to work, the light on the Variax plug in side never turned green.   I thought the USB interface device itself was broken but I didn't know to plug in a 1/4" with it.